The other tournaments...

samjones

Dec 7, 2011
Okay - so nobody cares but me, but here goes.

1. The NCAA should buy and endorse the CIT because it's an awesome idea for a tournament and I can't believe the NCAA didn't do it themselves.

2. The NCAA should not seed more than 32 teams in the big dance. It's an insult to the lower seeded teams and it does nothing to help competitiveness. I'm a tennis fan and there's a new tournment every Monday. Trust me on this one. Seed the top 8 in each bracket and fill the rest in with a draw.

3. Give the 1st round losers automatic entry into the NIT/CIT with a bye. As it stands you have to wonder whether some of these teams do themselves a favor by winning their tournament.

So maybe I'm only talking to myself here. I don't want to blog here, but Mercer won the CIT last night.

As a person who played small college basketball, I have to say than I would have rather been given the chance to play in the CIT and win it (like Mercer did) than to have to go on to the NCAA and get thumped by Georgetown first round, as happened to the team that won Mercer's conference.

In my mind, it creates a potential competitiveness problem - at some point some small school conference team is going to be incented to lose the conference championship on purpose so they can have a chance to play in a post-season tournament that they can be competitive in.

Forum List

Back