The Ogallala Aquifer: When will the wells run dry? What then?

Except that climate has changed and the rain patterns along with it. While we are still getting close to the same amount of rain it now comes in far fewer days with much longer time between rains. This hurts the crops on both ends as too much water at one time is bad and too long between rains is bad.

Irrigation is being added at a quick pace as it is the only way they will be able to keep working the land here.

Do you have any evidence of this? ... is this just one station or are you looking over the all of the American Midwest? ... I suppose I'm discussing more of the northern parts ... Iowa, Illinois and Indiana ... Texas and Oklahoma might not be so blessed ... and 40 years ago when I lived in these parts ...

Rain patterns are west-to-east ... that won't change ... who ever says they will is a liar ... and warmer temperatures will bring more rain ... the CAUSE of the humid climate in the Midwest is the Rocky Mountains and the Gulf of Mexico ... [giggle] ... and those change over geologic time scales ... those folks are stuck with summer rains until the Rockys are worn down to sea level ...

Irrigation is added strictly for greed ... those lands will grow food without it ... just not as much ... meaning fewer cows and pigs for your dining pleasure is all ...

Indeed. Definitely seeing strong signs that our political system and society are systems that are beginning to fail, and we're not even seeing a whole lot of actual scarcity yet - just the perception of scarcity that has been manufactured by a political class that wants permanent inequality. When the actual scarcity gets here, holy shit...my popcorn bucket won't possibly be big enough.

Typical Republican ... growing popcorn while children are starving to death ... murdering innocent minnow darters ... just mean spirited ...

Look, that's sand, 100 years from now it will still be sand!

OIP.9wolVCNlqGy6KPTBDayLRAHaJ4

Look, that's water, it flows past my place in it's many millions of gallons a day.

river.jpg

Move to where the water is!

Do you have any evidence of this? ... is this just one station or are you looking over the all of the American Midwest? ... I suppose I'm discussing more of the northern parts ... Iowa, Illinois and Indiana ... Texas and Oklahoma might not be so blessed ... and 40 years ago when I lived in these parts ...

It is what I do for a living. I work with farmers from all over but mostly from the midwest, Iowa, Ill, Mo the most since that is where I am located.

Irrigation is added strictly for greed ... those lands will grow food without it ... just not as much ... meaning fewer cows and pigs for your dining pleasure is all ...

The cost to add irrigation is immense, it will take them multiple harvest to recoup that cost, they are not doing it for the money. They are doing it because for their first time in the multiple generations their families have been working that land it is now needed.

People are not going to give up eating meat.

You dont have to agree with our concerns

But that wont stop us from pushing back against the perverted agenda of the left

Lol there are laws against molesters for a century or more. The numbers are tiny and often churches are covering for them... Or you have Dennis Hassert or Jerry Sandusky. Meanwhile, Florida's property taxes are increasing by 40%.

It is what I do for a living. I work with farmers from all over but mostly from the midwest, Iowa, Ill, Mo the most since that is where I am located.

The cost to add irrigation is immense, it will take them multiple harvest to recoup that cost, they are not doing it for the money. They are doing it because for their first time in the multiple generations their families have been working that land it is now needed.

People are not going to give up eating meat.

I believe you ... and thank you for these corrections ... too much rain was the problem when I lived in Eastern Iowa 1985, mountains of corn sitting out in the weather ... unsold ... rotting ... granaries full to the brim ... last of the family farms going bankrupt ...

Again .. do you have data that confirms this "lack of water" in Iowa? ... or is this a function of greater human usage? ...

From Wikipedia:

"After bottoming out in the 1980s, Iowa's economy began to reduce its dependence on agriculture. By the early 21st century, it was characterized by a mix of manufacturing, biotechnology, finance and insurance services, and government services. The population of Iowa has increased at a slower rate than the U.S. as a whole since at least the 1900 census, though Iowa now has a predominantly urban population. The Iowa Economic Development Authority, created in 2011 has replaced the Iowa Department of Economic Development and its annual reports are a source of economic information."

Is it farming or is it the urban population? ... is agribusiness so bad folks can't keep a capital reserve for bad rain years? ... because that's all irrigation gives you ... crops when the rains fail ... unless you have data (see above) ...

Lol there are laws against molesters for a century or more. The numbers are tiny and often churches are covering for them... Or you have Dennis Hassert or Jerry Sandusky. Meanwhile, Florida's property taxes are increasing by 40%.
Again, the left is perverting children through the schools, hollywood, public libraries, ect

And we are passing news laws to protect children since libs cant be trusted to do whats right unless they are forced to

• Funny
Reactions: cnm
Speak for yourself... I have plenty of water.
Water is scarce in West Texas

And it always has been

But cotton farming is big business around places like Lubbock and they are draining the water table in an effort to supply the cotton

Its a problem that must be addressed

Yep....it's water that cannot be recovered.... Once it has been polluted with metal in that manner it cannot be processed back to
Potable....

Jo
Really? Sea water is water that has been polluted with an alkali metal ion. What's the difference?

Water is scarce in West Texas

And it always has been

But cotton farming is big business around places like Lubbock and they are draining the water table in an effort to supply the cotton

Its a problem that must be addressed

Greed ...

When the water's gone, they'll stop growing cotton there and leave ... this has already happened a few places in the Intermountain West ... God warns every nation before He destroys them ...

Clean fresh pure sparkly mountain spring water is an absolute nuisance here ... the damn stuff bubbles up out of the ground just about everyplace ... but mostly where we don't want it ... having a basement means pumping water out 24/7 ...

We built an oil pipeline from Northeast Alberta to the Texas Gulf Coast ... 2,000 miles ... but we can't build an aqueduct from the Columbia River to the headwaters of the Sacramento River? ... 300 miles? ... or St Louis to El Paso? ... and we don't have to cover a water canal ...

Greed ...

When the water's gone, they'll stop growing cotton there and leave ... this has already happened a few places in the Intermountain West ... God warns every nation before He destroys them ...

Clean fresh pure sparkly mountain spring water is an absolute nuisance here ... the damn stuff bubbles up out of the ground just about everyplace ... but mostly where we don't want it ... having a basement means pumping water out 24/7 ...

We built an oil pipeline from Northeast Alberta to the Texas Gulf Coast ... 2,000 miles ... but we can't build an aqueduct from the Columbia River to the headwaters of the Sacramento River? ... 300 miles? ... or St Louis to El Paso? ... and we don't have to cover a water canal ...
No shit, I was looking at buying a mountain place and not 5' from the back door there was a big-ass artesian well bubbling-up. That shit was under some pressure too. There was a column of water shooting up about a foot and a half and it was at least two foot around.

The wife knew of the place as she had a friend that lived there when she was a kid and never remembered it being there.

We finally got the realtor to admit it had popped out of the ground about a year prior after a small earthquake hit the area.

Nope, nope, nope.

No shit, I was looking at buying a mountain place and not 5' from the back door there was a big-ass artesian well bubbling-up. That shit was under some pressure too. There was a column of water shooting up about a foot and a half and it was at least two foot around.

The wife knew of the place as she had a friend that lived there when she was a kid and never remembered it being there.

We finally got the realtor to admit it had popped out of the ground about a year prior after a small earthquake hit the area.

Nope, nope, nope.

The Cary Grant movie Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, the water well on one side of the house was going deep and still dry, but on the other side was a spring that just wouldn't stop ... too funny ...

When the water wars begin ... you may wish you'd purchased that mountain property ...

but we can't build an aqueduct from the Columbia River to the headwaters of the Sacramento River? ... 300 miles? ... or St Louis to El Paso? ... and we don't have to cover a water canal ...
That would be soshalism.

Forum List

Back