The Occupy Wall Street Movement is WORKING!!!

What's cool is that OWS has completely changed the dialogue.

The Republicans are doomed now.

It's fun to see how freaked out the Republicans are that the light has been shined on their evil buddies on Wall Street.

Yes, the Forrest Gumps have come unglued....

My goodness....

Isn't it funny how Wall Street is so evil and yet you morons point to the Dow in an effort to argue we have a [cough cough] recovery going on.

From what I recall Forrest was quite a guy. He lived right and didn't lie his rear off (or make unfounded accusations). As the movie ended, he was rich.

Keep telling yourself that.

You guys are toast.

People are now focusing on the real evil.

The moneyed interests on Wall Street.

They are the ones who destroyed the world economy. There will be no putting this genie back in the bottle, I guarantee you.

You guys are toast.

They are the ones who destroyed the world economy. There will be no putting this genie back in the bottle, I guarantee you.

You can't even argue...how could guarantee anything.

But there goes your 100K !!!

It's fun to see how freaked out the Republicans are that the light has been shined on their evil buddies on Wall Street.

My goodness....

Isn't it funny how Wall Street is so evil and yet you morons point to the Dow in an effort to argue we have a [cough cough] recovery going on.

From what I recall Forrest was quite a guy. He lived right and didn't lie his rear off (or make unfounded accusations). As the movie ended, he was rich.

Yes, Mother Nature made him rich by wiping out his shrimping competition.

You guys are toast.

You can't even argue...how could guarantee anything.

But there goes your 100K !!!

A £516 trillion derivatives ‘time-bomb’
Not for nothing did US billionaire Warren Buffett call them the real ‘weapons of mass destruction’

By Margareta Pagano and Simon Evans
12 October 12 2008

The market is worth more than $516 trillion, (£303 trillion), roughly 10 times the value of the entire world’s output: it’s been called the “ticking time-bomb”.

It’s a market in which the lead protagonists – typically aggressive, highly educated, and now wealthy young men – have flourished in the derivatives boom. But it’s a market that is set to come to a crashing halt – the Great Unwind has begun.

Last week the beginning of the end started for many hedge funds with the combination of diving market values and worried investors pulling out their cash for safer climes.

Some of the world’s biggest hedge funds – SAC Capital, Lone Pine and Tiger Global – all revealed they were sitting on double-digit losses this year. September’s falls wiped out any profits made in the rest of the year. Polygon, once a darling of the London hedge fund circuit, last week said it was capping the basic salaries of its managers to £100,000 each. Not bad for the average punter but some way off the tens of millions plundered by these hotshots during the good times. But few will be shedding any tears.

The complex and opaque derivatives markets in which these hedge funds played has been dubbed the world’s biggest black hole because they operate outside of the grasp of governments, tax inspectors and regulators. They operate in a parallel, shadow world to the rest of the banking system. They are private contracts between two companies or institutions which can’t be controlled or properly assessed. In themselves derivative contracts are not dangerous, but if one of them should go wrong – the bad 2 per cent as it’s been called – then it is the domino effect which could be so enormous and scary.

A £516 trillion derivatives ‘time-bomb’ « Did You Know

My goodness....

Kindal like she wiped out GM.

To bad President Obama wasn't there to bail them out.

Oh wait...they were not unionized....well, to bad.

My goodness....

It is too bad.

The downfall of the unions is one of the main reasons that wages have been stagnant for forty years.

OWS has certainly changed the political debate.

That alone makes it a successful popilist movement.

It is too bad.

The downfall of the unions is one of the main reasons that wages have been stagnant for forty years.

Unions are bad for the productive worker. They are chained to the standard negotiated wage that the unions mandate for each and every worker for that job description.
Shoddy union work in the American auto industry is what led to the Japanese dominating that market. Not the case anymore as American auto makers are making quality cars again.
Something now about lack of union power that lead to that.

It is too bad.

Unions are bad for the productive worker. They are chained to the standard negotiated wage that the unions mandate for each and every worker for that job description.
Shoddy union work in the American auto industry is what led to the Japanese dominating that market. Not the case anymore as American auto makers are making quality cars again.

it is basic logic.

If ones superior work ethic and dedication results in no more a raise than they guy who offers up the bare minimum work ethic and dedication, the trend will be for all to offer up the minimum acceptable work ethic and dedication.

If John uses all of his sick days, personal days and floating holidays and Jim only uses 2 sick days and they both get the same raise, Jim will use all of his sick days, personal days and floating holidays the following year and every year after.

Unions of today protect the less dedicated worker at the expense of the most dedicated worker.

One does not need to be a rocket scientist to recognize this.

OWS has certainly changed the political debate.

That alone makes it a successful popilist movement.

It may have, although I personally dont see it that way.

However, if the violent element continues to disrupt an otherwise peaceful movement, politicians will trend away from them and all will be lost for them.

I do not agree with the semtiments of those that are truly passionate about their cause, but I admire their pererverance and their exercising their right to ffree speech. I sometimes want to go down there in Manhattan and grab the assholes that are using this movement as an excuse to cause unecessary trouble.

It is too bad.

it is basic logic.

If ones superior work ethic and dedication results in no more a raise than they guy who offers up the bare minimum work ethic and dedication, the trend will be for all to offer up the minimum acceptable work ethic and dedication.

If John uses all of his sick days, personal days and floating holidays and Jim only uses 2 sick days and they both get the same raise, Jim will use all of his sick days, personal days and floating holidays the following year and every year after.

Unions of today protect the less dedicated worker at the expense of the most dedicated worker.

You must have had the same labor relations professor I had!
Well said.

it is basic logic.

Well said.

lol...actually, this is what I do for a living.....I am a business plannner, human resource solutions consultant, recruiter and past President of my trade association here in the tri state area (NY, NJ, Conn)...

We conduct certain surveys on a quarterly basis...and of course, annual surveys.

In 2010 we found that Companies that have unionized labor show a near 98% usage of all vacatioin days, sick days, personal days and floating holidays...and the average amount of berevement days was greater than 2 per employee (2.05).

For non unionized companies we found that whereas the employee handbook offered an average of 5 sick days, 2 personal days, 2 floating holidays and unlimited berevement days for all nuclear family memebers stretched out to grandparents , first cousins, first aunt and uncles and close friends we found each employee used a shade over 2 sick days, less than 1 personal day, exactly 1 floating holiday and less than 1 berevement day.

Of course, we find similar numbers year after year...and no, we are not at all surprised.

it is basic logic.

Well said.

lol...actually, this is what I do for a living.....I am a business plannner, human resource solutions consultant, recruiter and past President of my trade association here in the tri state area (NY, NJ, Conn)...

We conduct certain surveys on a quarterly basis...and of course, annual surveys.

In 2010 we found that Companies that have unionized labor show a near 98% usage of all vacatioin days, sick days, personal days and floating holidays...and the average amount of berevement days was greater than 2 per employee (2.05).

For non unionized companies we found that whereas the employee handbook offered an average of 5 sick days, 2 personal days, 2 floating holidays and unlimited berevement days for all nuclear family memebers stretched out to grandparents , first cousins, first aunt and uncles and close friends we found each employee used a shade over 2 sick days, less than 1 personal day, exactly 1 floating holiday and less than 1 berevement day.

Of course, we find similar numbers year after year...and no, we are not at all surprised.

TOTALLY believable.

When one works in a situation where you have very little job security one tends to keep off managments radar.

When one has job security, one is much more likely to take advantage of the benefits that one is offered.

Well said.

TOTALLY believable.

When one works in a situation where you have very little job security one tends to keep off managments radar.

When one has job security, one is much more likely to take advantage of the benefits that one is offered.

you are assuming that a great work ethic does not result in job security.....I can say it absolutely does.

You are also assuming that those that use all of their sick days are truly sick.

However....

2 things I did not add from our survey results....

of the 2% of offered time NOT used in unionized companies.......over 92% of those employees that did not use all of thier offered time off were first year employees.

78% of sick days and personal days were taken in the 12th month of the respective employees year....in other words, they used them before they lost them......which means more oftern than not, they were calling in sick ONLY becuase they were allowed to...not becuase they needed to.

Forum List

Back