The Obamacare Supreme Court Decision Thread

Did the Supreme Court ruling on Obamacare please or displease you?

• Total voters
650 billion in new taxes over the next 10 years that effects those earning less then 250k a year...take that middle class and the poor.
Democrats obviously hate the middle class and the poor.

which is why they fought to keep the tax cuts for them but not the ultra rich and the Republicans fought for only the rich.

obviously.

Stupid lame logic.

Democrats (not the political class- but the voting class) are too stupid to see what this will actually translate itself into on their paychecks.

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Why Chief Justice John Roberts sided with liberal justices on Obamacare

WASHINGTON —

It’s the judiciary’s Nixon-to-China: Chief Justice John Roberts joins the liberal wing of the Supreme Court and upholds the constitutionality of Obamacare. How? By pulling off one of the great constitutional finesses of all time.

He managed to uphold the central conservative argument against Obamacare, while at the same time finding a narrow definitional dodge to uphold the law — and thus prevented the court from being seen as having overturned, presumably on political grounds, the signature legislation of this administration.

Why did he do it? Because he carries two identities. Jurisprudentially, he is a constitutional conservative. Institutionally, he is chief justice and sees himself as uniquely entrusted with the custodianship of the court’s legitimacy, reputation and stature.

Read more: CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: Why Chief Justice John Roberts sided with liberal justices on Obamacare - Fall River, MA - The Herald News

Two wrongs do not make a right. The fine for not buying health insurance is not a tax, its a penalty. And even if it is a tax, its unconstitutional anyway, as its a direct tax that must be apportioned. The Supreme Court is wrong twice.

also, John Roberts is not a democrat.

No he's the Justice who showed that democrats and specifically the president, lied about the mandate actually being a tax.

Nonsense.

And once again you only exhibit your ignorance.

Advocates of the ACA argued that the IM was valid per the Commerce Clause:

The centerpiece of the challenge to the Affordable Care Act was the so-called individual mandate – the requirement that almost all Americans buy health insurance by 2014 or pay a penalty. Defending the constitutionality of the mandate, the government’s primary argument was that Congress can require everyone to buy health insurance using its power under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, because the failure to buy insurance shifts the costs of health care for the uninsured to health-care providers, insurance companies, and everyone who does have health insurance.

They also argued it was a tax, and the CJ agreed:

Although the Chief Justice rejected the government’s Commerce Clause argument, he agreed with one of the government’s alternative arguments: the mandate imposes a tax on people who do not buy health insurance, and that tax is something that Congress can impose using its constitutional taxing power. He acknowledged that the mandate (and its accompanying penalty) is primarily intended to get people to buy insurance, rather than to raise money, but it is, he explained, still a tax. If someone who does not want to buy health insurance is willing to pay the tax, that’s the end of the matter; the government cannot do anything else.

Source for the quoted above:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/06/todays-health-care-decision-in-plain-english/

No he's the Justice who showed that democrats and specifically the president, lied about the mandate actually being a tax.

Nonsense.

And once again you only exhibit your ignorance.

Advocates of the ACA argued that the IM was valid per the Commerce Clause:

The centerpiece of the challenge to the Affordable Care Act was the so-called individual mandate – the requirement that almost all Americans buy health insurance by 2014 or pay a penalty. Defending the constitutionality of the mandate, the government’s primary argument was that Congress can require everyone to buy health insurance using its power under the Commerce Clause of the Constitution, because the failure to buy insurance shifts the costs of health care for the uninsured to health-care providers, insurance companies, and everyone who does have health insurance.

They also argued it was a tax, and the CJ agreed:

Although the Chief Justice rejected the government’s Commerce Clause argument, he agreed with one of the government’s alternative arguments: the mandate imposes a tax on people who do not buy health insurance, and that tax is something that Congress can impose using its constitutional taxing power. He acknowledged that the mandate (and its accompanying penalty) is primarily intended to get people to buy insurance, rather than to raise money, but it is, he explained, still a tax. If someone who does not want to buy health insurance is willing to pay the tax, that’s the end of the matter; the government cannot do anything else.

Source for the quoted above:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/06/todays-health-care-decision-in-plain-english/

No it is your "forgetfulness" that is the trouble.

Obama: "Mandate is Not a Tax"

Obama: Mandate is Not a Tax - ABC News

650 billion in new taxes over the next 10 years that effects those earning less then 250k a year...take that middle class and the poor.

While Roberts many not be a democrat, from this day forward, he something far worse in the eyes of many conservatives. He's a traitor to their cause.

which is why they fought to keep the tax cuts for them but not the ultra rich and the Republicans fought for only the rich.

obviously.

And then they go and pass a huge tax increase on the poor and middle class.

Still want to bitterly cling to the fantasy that the left cares about the poor and middle class? Because it's not at all credible.

But Democrats wrote the law that taxes the hell out of the middle class and the poor.

Oh, but it was for their own good, right?

I thought obama said his law would not be a tax? Why did he raise taxes on the middle class when he said he wasn't?
Hey nancy do you know what is in your's obama's and harry rieds law that you forced on the American people?
A TAX
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-05TLiiLU]Pelosi: "We Have to Pass the Bill So That You Can Find Out What Is In It" - YouTube[/ame]

So, now that the ruling has come down, how many conservatives are ready to move to Texas and urge Gov Oops to secede from the Union?

All kidding aside, there's an inherent psychological danger in becoming too emotionally invested in SC rulings like it's some kind of Indiana HS basketball championship.

On a lighter note, Mark Levin's show should be HIGHLY entertaining tonight since you just know you'll be able to feel the veins popping out in his temples as he rails against the ruling. But one thing should be clear at this point. Levin's much ballyhooed self-promotion as a constitutional expert is essentially in tatters, not that I ever thought much of his partisan-motivated arguments in the first place.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that people should relax, make plans for the weekend, and get away from all the so called expert talking heads who make their bones on everyone else's outrage. At least play some music on the car stereo for a change instead of listening to talk radio. Play some heavy metal to channel the anger. Then listen to something soothing. Drink some chamomile tea. Whatever you do, don't drive to DC, get drunk, and then shoot out Justice Roberts' front porch light while screaming about 2nd Amendment solutions because chances are your case will never make it to the SC, and if it does, the Justices likely won't buy your defense that you're a political prisoner.

You're going to be paying for my healthcare coverage. I'm quitting my job and going to sit on my ass while you pay for me.

No you won't.

I have mixed feelings about it. For one, I don't like the idea of it being mandatory and/or being taxed on it if I choose to opt out of it. I don't think that it will affect Our family because we already have health insurance. I don't know about all of it's provisions , but I do like that it helps more people qualify for Medicaid.

So, now that the ruling has come down, how many conservatives are ready to move to Texas and urge Gov Oops to secede from the Union?

All kidding aside, there's an inherent psychological danger in becoming too emotionally invested in SC rulings like it's some kind of Indiana HS basketball championship.

On a lighter note, Mark Levin's show should be HIGHLY entertaining tonight since you just know you'll be able to feel the veins popping out in his temples as he rails against the ruling. But one thing should be clear at this point. Levin's much ballyhooed self-promotion as a constitutional expert is essentially in tatters, not that I ever thought much of his partisan-motivated arguments in the first place.

My advice, for what it's worth, is that people should relax, make plans for the weekend, and get away from all the so called expert talking heads who make their bones on everyone else's outrage. At least play some music on the car stereo for a change instead of listening to talk radio. Play some heavy metal to channel the anger. Then listen to something soothing. Drink some chamomile tea. Whatever you do, don't drive to DC, get drunk, and then shoot out Justice Roberts' front porch light while screaming about 2nd Amendment solutions because chances are your case will never make it to the SC, and if it does, the Justices likely won't buy your defense that you're a political prisoner.

You're going to be paying for my healthcare coverage. I'm quitting my job and going to sit on my ass while you pay for me.

No you won't.
Dude I have a trade and a skill I can work for cash I don't need to work for a pay check and you will be paying for my healthcare.

Forum List

Back