The Numbers Are Definitively In, Trumps Tax Cuts Were An Economic Dud

Tax cuts for the rich only help the economy if there is a shortage in investment capital. But we had a glut in investment capital so that money is just down the toilet.

Not really. It is inflating prices in the markets which indirectly benefits at least those with market-based retirement plans or investments.

Actually the market have been pretty stagnant since the tax cut passed.

The DJI for example has grown just 10% in the 19 months since the tax cuts went into effect, as opposed to 25% in the 12 months prior to the tax cuts.
/——-/ The DJI is an average of 30 companies and not reflective of the economy. Duhhhh

Do try and follow the threads, you always make comments that have nothing to do with the flow of the thread.

Every measure of the market, DJI, NSADAQ, S&P, Russell 2000...have the same stagnation.
/——/ What??? I’m responding to this directly:
“The DJI for example has grown just 10% in the 19 months” And its a meaningless statistic.

And my response was a direct response to someone else that brought up the markets. Are you incapable of following a thread? Is it too complicated for your limited intellect?

So did reality correspond to the theoretical case made for the tax reform bill? We now have enough information to make a reasonably informed assessment. Unless you think that tax havens like Ireland, Bermuda or the Cayman Islands, all of which continue to feature as major foreign holders of U.S. Treasuries, have suddenly emerged as economic superpowers, the more realistic interpretation of the data shows the president’s much-vaunted claims about the tax reform to be bogus on a number of levels. Even though some dollars have been “brought home,” there remain trillions of dollars domiciled in these countries (at least in an accounting sense, which I’ll discuss in a moment). If anything, the key provisions of the new legislation have given even greater incentives for U.S. corporations to shift production abroad, engage in yet more tax avoidance activities and thereby exacerbate prevailing economic inequality. Which, knowing Donald Trump, was the whole point in the first place.

The numbers are definitively in: Trump’s tax cuts were an economic dud
Tax cuts for the rich only help the economy if there is a shortage in investment capital. But we had a glut in investment capital so that money is just down the toilet.

Not really. It is inflating prices in the markets which indirectly benefits at least those with market-based retirement plans or investments.

The DJI for example has grown just 10% in the 19 months since the tax cuts went into effect, as opposed to 25% in the 12 months prior to the tax cuts.
Not nearly enough trickling going on.
/——/ You have no idea what you’re talking about. It depends on what industry you invest in. How many times does it have to be explained to you?
Index Sector Weightings

Information Technology 45.46%
Consumer Discretionary 20.20%
Communication Services 14.45%
Industrials 13.28%
Health Care 11.36%
Consumer Staples 4.72%
Real Estate 1.01%
Materials 0.78%
Utilities -3.21%
Energy -3.46%
Financials -4.58%
Source: Bloomberg. Index and Sector weightings are net and as of 06/30/2019 and subject to change.

So did reality correspond to the theoretical case made for the tax reform bill? We now have enough information to make a reasonably informed assessment. Unless you think that tax havens like Ireland, Bermuda or the Cayman Islands, all of which continue to feature as major foreign holders of U.S. Treasuries, have suddenly emerged as economic superpowers, the more realistic interpretation of the data shows the president’s much-vaunted claims about the tax reform to be bogus on a number of levels. Even though some dollars have been “brought home,” there remain trillions of dollars domiciled in these countries (at least in an accounting sense, which I’ll discuss in a moment). If anything, the key provisions of the new legislation have given even greater incentives for U.S. corporations to shift production abroad, engage in yet more tax avoidance activities and thereby exacerbate prevailing economic inequality. Which, knowing Donald Trump, was the whole point in the first place.

Do you mean are an economic dud? Why “were” please explain the verbiage.

/——-/ The DJI is an average of 30 companies and not reflective of the economy. Duhhhh

Do try and follow the threads, you always make comments that have nothing to do with the flow of the thread.

Every measure of the market, DJI, NSADAQ, S&P, Russell 2000...have the same stagnation.
“The DJI for example has grown just 10% in the 19 months” And its a meaningless statistic.

And my response was a direct response to someone else that brought up the markets. Are you incapable of following a thread? Is it too complicated for your limited intellect?
/—-/ I posted the performance of the largest sectors. The averages really don’t mean anything unless you invest in those specific ETFs. Maybe you should keep your coins in a bank CD.

And yet, especially considering the situation... best economy ever!

Tell us something you know for a fact that the media hasn't told you.

/—-/ Try responding with facts why the averages are indicative of the economy as opposed to specific industries rather than making my posts funny.

Business is BOOMING. Began DRAMATICALLY picking up immediately after Trump beat Hillary. Wasn't even in office yet and the instant turn around began.

Forum List

Back