The nuke disaster you didn't hear about!

taichiliberal

Rookie
Aug 11, 2010
The High Cost of Uranium in Navajoland
by Bruce E. Johansen

"... The biggest expulsion of radioactive material in the United States occurred July 16, 1979, at 5 a.m. on the Navajo Nation, less than 12 hours after President Carter had proposed plans to use more nuclear power and fossil fuels. On that morning, more than 1,100 tons of uranium mining wastes -- tailings -- gushed through a packed-mud dam near Church Rock, N.M. With the tailings, 100 million gallons of radioactive water gushed through the dam before the crack was repaired.

By 8 a.m., radioactivity was monitored in Gallup, N.M., nearly 50 miles away. The contaminated river, the Rio Puerco, showed 7,000 times the allowable standard of radioactivity for drinking water below the broken dam shortly after the breach was repaired, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The few newspaper stories about the spill outside of the immediate area noted that the area was "sparsely populated" and that the spill "poses no immediate health hazard."

The High Cost of Uranium in Navajoland, by Bruce E. Johansen

• Banned
Those primarily affected were just Native Americans. Why the excitement?

Are you joking? Because if you are, it's very boorish on your part. If not, you're A-typical of the willfully ignorant, racist little shits that callously support anything they perceive as being against "those people".

LOL. My wife is part Hunkpapa Lokota. Many of her relitives were involved in AIM. And that is exactly the attitude that they have seen toward anything that occurs on the reservation. And the reason that you did not hear about that radioactive material spill. There have been literal wars on the reservations between those that would sell anything there for money, and those that would try to improve the living conditions of the Native Americans. Guess which faction our government supported?

by Bruce E. Johansen

"... The biggest expulsion of radioactive material in the United States occurred July 16, 1979, at 5 a.m. on the Navajo Nation, less than 12 hours after President Carter had proposed plans to use more nuclear power and fossil fuels. On that morning, more than 1,100 tons of uranium mining wastes -- tailings -- gushed through a packed-mud dam near Church Rock, N.M. With the tailings, 100 million gallons of radioactive water gushed through the dam before the crack was repaired.

By 8 a.m., radioactivity was monitored in Gallup, N.M., nearly 50 miles away. The contaminated river, the Rio Puerco, showed 7,000 times the allowable standard of radioactivity for drinking water below the broken dam shortly after the breach was repaired, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The few newspaper stories about the spill outside of the immediate area noted that the area was "sparsely populated" and that the spill "poses no immediate health hazard."

Who didn't here about this? I lived downstream of that leak and it was a major story for a couple of weeks in one of the largest cities in the country.

Want to try again?

• Banned
LOL. My wife is part Hunkpapa Lokota. Many of her relitives were involved in AIM. And that is exactly the attitude that they have seen toward anything that occurs on the reservation. And the reason that you did not hear about that radioactive material spill. There have been literal wars on the reservations between those that would sell anything there for money, and those that would try to improve the living conditions of the Native Americans. Guess which faction our government supported?

Okay, so you're being cynical....my apologies, as I did not include that as a possibility. See, I knew about such goings on....my subject title is for those who didn't.

• Banned
by Bruce E. Johansen

Who didn't here about this? I lived downstream of that leak and it was a major story for a couple of weeks in one of the largest cities in the country.

Want to try again?

Who didn't hear about this? A LOT of people, my silly little Windbag, given that just a few months earlier 3 Mile Island was the dominant nuke power industry story.....it wasn't given a lot of play on the MSM at the time. I knew about it a few years later because I worked with folk in the national Native ministries of the Protestant church (not a member, just a former employee).

Given this information, it makes it harder for any rational person to try and defend nuke power in it's present form.

Want to try again be a condescending asshole, you Quantum Windbag?

by Bruce E. Johansen

Want to try again?

Who didn't hear about this? A LOT of people, my silly little Windbag, given that just a few months earlier 3 Mile Island was the dominant nuke power industry story.....it wasn't given a lot of play on the MSM at the time. I knew about it a few years later because I worked with folk in the national Native ministries of the Protestant church (not a member, just a former employee).

Given this information, it makes it harder for any rational person to try and defend nuke power in it's present form.

But you said you, which is me, and I heard about it. So did everyone in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, West Texas, and Northern Mexico. I even recall hearing about it on the national news at the time. That tells me that the only people who did not hear about it are the idiots who do not pay attention.

Given the fact that this was a mining accident and not a nuclear power accident any rational person would be understand that nuclear power in its present, or any other form, had nothing to do with it.

If I ever try to be a condescending asshole you will know full well what condescension means, unless you are too stupid to see it, which I actually suspect. What my first post, and this one, was is me being a smart ass.

You, on the other hand, continually try to be condescending and fail at it because it actually takes a degree of intelligence to pull it off successfully. You just come across as a twit.

Please do try again, it is amusing.

That, for the record, was condescending. I did not mean for it to be, but it was. I am leaving it in to show you what it is.

How about a dirty bomb?
The 1966 Palomares B-52 crash or Palomares incident occurred on January 17, 1966, when a B-52G bomber of the USAF Strategic Air Command collided with a KC-135 tanker during mid-air refuelling at 31,000 feet (9,450 m) over the Mediterranean Sea, off the coast of Spain. The KC-135 was completely destroyed when its fuel load ignited, killing all four crew members. The B-52G broke apart, killing three of the seven crew members aboard.[1]

Of the four Mk28 type hydrogen bombs the B-52G carried,[2] three were found on land near the small fishing village of Palomares in the municipality of Cuevas del Almanzora, Almería, Spain. The non-nuclear explosives in two of the weapons detonated upon impacting the ground, resulting in the contamination of a 2-square-kilometer (490-acre) (0.78 square mile) area by radioactive plutonium. The fourth, which fell into the Mediterranean Sea, was recovered intact after a 2½-month-long search.[3]
1966 Palomares B-52 crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Want to try again?

But you said you, which is me, and I heard about it. So did everyone in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, West Texas, and Northern Mexico. I even recall hearing about it on the national news at the time. That tells me that the only people who did not hear about it are the idiots who do not pay attention.

Again, stop being a condescending little asshole, my Quantum Windbag. I find your sudden claim of remembering "national" news coverage rather convenient, it not downright dubious in nature since you didn't state such right off the bat. And no, YOU don't get to claim that EVERYONE in 5 states heard that news.....but you sure as hell can claim that EVERYONE in ALL FIFTY STATES heard about 3 Mile Island. If my general use of the word "you" took on a personal nature for you, then next time just be civil and explain that 'Yeah, I heard of it and a lot of people in the neighboring state and a lot of native folk in a few neighboring states heard it too!' Big difference from the condescending BS you initially spewed.

Given the fact that this was a mining accident and not a nuclear power accident any rational person would be understand that nuclear power in its present, or any other form, had nothing to do with it.

They wouldn't have been mining the uranium if it weren't for this country's commitment to nuke weapons and power, my dense little Windbag...or are you of the fantasy that all that raw material was and is produced in some pristine lab like a sci-fi movie?

If I ever try to be a condescending asshole you will know full well what condescension means, unless you are too stupid to see it, which I actually suspect. What my first post, and this one, was is me being a smart ass.

Newsflash for ya, bunky.....I deconstructed your delusion of "smart", so all that's left is the ass. And yeah, you consistently try to be a condescending asshole....it's part of your nature and you can't help yourself. I suggest you take a writing class to get a handle on that, my pompus little Windbag.

You, on the other hand, continually try to be condescending and fail at it because it actually takes a degree of intelligence to pull it off successfully. You just come across as a twit.

Ahhh, the opinion of the often defeated Windbag....that and a Metro Card will only get you on the bus.
Please do try again, it is amusing.

More empty air from the Quantum Windbag.

That, for the record, was condescending. I did not mean for it to be, but it was. I am leaving it in to show you what it is.

As you can see folks, this silly Windbag contradicts himself while trying to insult me. Small wonder his screen name is such an apt description of his personality on these boards.

My initial post stands valid.

Oops, Windy has his panties in a knot:razz:

Because I actually understand the difference between a mining accident and a nuclear disaster?

Tia Che Liberal is not violating the rules, by commenting inside your quote box using a different color ink, it is allowed, as confusing as it is. Just chalk it up to either poor form, poor posting skills, or just laziness. It is within the rules.

Because I actually understand the difference between a mining accident and a nuclear disaster?

Tia Che Liberal is not violating the rules, by commenting inside your quote box using a different color ink, it is allowed, as confusing as it is. Just chalk it up to either poor form, poor posting skills, or just laziness. It is within the rules.

Edited. Your Posting style is your problem, it is within the rules, so you have a Right to It. This is an Administrative action, posted Publicly, for the edification of those whom do not understand your style and regularly report your Posts as Quote tampering. I have discussed this with you in the past. You will either address me through PM or live with it, or be banned. You do not comment on Moderator actions on the open board. Blocking PM's is your choice. Choices have consequences.

Old Rocks didn't complain to me publicly or privately. Seems YOU are still nursing a grudge, and your past attempt to threaten me FAILED. YOU put this in the public forum, bunky, not me. So if you want to abuse your authority and edit my response, or hit and then hide behind your "official" capacity, go ahead...that's the act of a bully and a coward. Choices have consequences, and life goes on.

Last edited:

Quantum Windbag stated: Given the fact that this was a mining accident and not a nuclear power accident any rational person would be understand that nuclear power in its present, or any other form, had nothing to do with it.

Taichiliberal's response: They wouldn't have been mining the uranium if it weren't for this country's commitment to nuke weapons and power, my dense little Windbag...or are you of the fantasy that all that raw material was and is produced in some pristine lab like a sci-fi movie?

Quantum Windbag stated: Given the fact that this was a mining accident and not a nuclear power accident any rational person would be understand that nuclear power in its present, or any other form, had nothing to do with it.

Taichiliberal's response: They wouldn't have been mining the uranium if it weren't for this country's commitment to nuke weapons and power, my dense little Windbag...or are you of the fantasy that all that raw material was and is produced in some pristine lab like a sci-fi movie?

Pitchblende is often found in silver mines. It was discarded for centuries as waste. That committment to nuclear energy you have spoken of has resulted in a lot less radioactive material being thrown away as waste product.

Just something to think about.

Pitchblende is often found in silver mines. It was discarded for centuries as waste. That committment to nuclear energy you have spoken of has resulted in a lot less radioactive material being thrown away as waste product.

Just something to think about.

That is the lamest smoke screen you've blown yet, Windbag. The article I linked demonstrated the nasty little consequences of nuke mining, and how people are STILL being screwed out of justice. I've produced articles that demonstrate how nuke plants have delivered negative effects of radioactive waste and emissions to states over the last 40 years or so that DID NOT have silver mines, genius.

Bottom line: you just can't stand having to concede a point to me, so you just babble like a Quantum Windbag.

Forum List

Back