How Do We Solve Our Energy Problems?

Freedom1

Rookie
Jun 5, 2011
I'm all for all forms of energy. As for controversial forms such as nuclear energy, it's up to the insurance companies to sort out "dangerous" sources. If it's too dangerous, then it will be too expensive to ensure.

If subsidies were removed, then the market will naturally correct itself.

"Subsidies" is a term that most often refers to the practice of the government taking less revenues from a company when they have no business taking any revenues in the first place.

No... removing "subsidies" would kill investment.

I'm all for all forms of energy. As for controversial forms such as nuclear energy, it's up to the insurance companies to sort out "dangerous" sources. If it's too dangerous, then it will be too expensive to ensure.

The only real long term solution is fusion power. We need program like the Space Race to shorten the projected 40-50 year timeline to a working system. Tell your representitives that's where we should be concentrating more of our research money. For more info go to:

ITER - the way to new energy OR

Department of Energy - Fusion

To clarify, WHAT energy problems are you referring to? Has someone denied you electrical service to your house? Told you they wouldn't allow you to fill up the tank on your car? Stopped natural gas from flowing to your hot water tank or furnace?

How Do We Solve Our Energy Problems?
FanZoneBottle.jpg

Forget Geothermal -- It's a very dirty and actually NOT renewable mining operation with worse enviromental aspects than extracting nat gas or coal.. The wells DO cool out and corrode everything man put into them. And there's a circle of death around any of these operations with chances of blow-outs and toxic fumes and waste water. But it's GREEN!!!!! So it's Okee-DOkee...

Hydrogen could serve as a storage buffer for EXCESSIVE generation of wind and solar. Worth a shot. It is also a "transfer mechanism" to the transportation fuel problem which is distinct from the electrical grid.

But nuclear remains the best choice for reliable no-CO2 generation. A home can be powered for a year with only 0.7 ounce of waste. SURELY, we can handle that magnitude with recycling or disposal.

Trick question --- What's the 1/2 life of Mercury from those CFL bulbs or Lithium from batteries when it is put into landfill?

Energy needs to be CHEAP and PLENTIFUL. Two things that mutually complement each other. The eco-left wants energy to be RARE and EXPENSIVE because it is a proxy for economic growth.. When you stress conservation and reduction to the point that they have.. === You can only get to RARE and EXPENSIVE...

Cheap and plentiful energy won't be a reality until we develop a fusion power system. No amount of drilling, conservation or alternative energy is going to get us out of the hole and pregressing into the future without it. Tell you representives we need to earmark more money for research. For more info go to:

ITER - the way to new energy OR

Department of Energy - Fusion

We have lots of cheap and pleniful energy. Its called coal and natural gas.

I see. Are you lobbying for more subsidies for solar, wind, and geothermal?
don't be too sensitive OR, I have a "feeling" it's about nuclear energy and the special case that applies to it alone. Liability actions in the production of nuclear energy fall under the Price-Anderson Nuclear Industries Indemnity Act which is commonly called the Price-Anderson Act.

The Price-Anderson Act is a United States federal law, first passed in 1957 and since renewed several times, which governs liability-related issues for all non-military nuclear facilities constructed in the United States before 2026. The main purpose of the Act is to partially indemnify the nuclear industry against liability claims arising from nuclear incidents while still ensuring compensation coverage for the general public. The Act establishes a no fault insurance-type system in which the first approximately $12.6 billion (as of 2011) is industry-funded as described in the Act. Any claims above the $12.6 billion would be covered by a Congressional mandate to retroactively increase nuclear utility liability or would be covered by the federal government. At the time of the Act's passing, it was considered necessary as an incentive for the private production of nuclear power — this was because electric utilities viewed the available liability coverage (only $60 million) as inadequate...

Last edited:

As fucked up as our politics are, I'd still rather see the definition of 'dangerous' in the hands of We, The People instead of the insurance industry lobby.

Here's how you keep any facility safe: Insist that the decision buck stops at the desk of someone whose family lives within 3 miles.

I'm ok with nuclear... I live near a plant and, while I can't in good conscience trust The Nuclear Industry Lobby, I trust the guys I know who work at the plant. I've seen them with their families. Doesn't mean a boo-boo won't happen, just makes it less likely to occur because of 'cutting corners'.

I'm also ok with petroleum, as long as we see continued competition reaching toward electric and burning the stuff as cleanly as possible. I think We, The People should insist that the coal industry learn to burn cleaner, if by no other means than to fund the research at various universities and insist on the implementation - including implementation in stages, costs to be discussed when costs are known.

If John Kennedy had had a vision of burning fossil fuels cleanly and efficiently instead of going to the moon for rocks, do you reckon things would be different?

Last edited:
We could help a bit by using geothermal heat exchange systems to START out with air that is 55 degrees.

If I was convinced that I was going to stay in my house, I think I might seriously look into adding such a heat exchange system to the homestead.

Here's a place to start looking into this as one small part of the overall solution

http://www.mcquay.com/mcquaybiz/literature/lit_systems/AppGuide/AG_31-008_Geothermal_021607b.pdf

iirc, most Geo requires a well @ 30gpm and up....

Forum List

Back