The nuke disaster you didn't hear about!

Discussion in 'Energy' started by taichiliberal, Jun 2, 2011.

1. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The High Cost of Uranium in Navajoland
    by Bruce E. Johansen

"... The biggest expulsion of radioactive material in the United States occurred July 16, 1979, at 5 a.m. on the Navajo Nation, less than 12 hours after President Carter had proposed plans to use more nuclear power and fossil fuels. On that morning, more than 1,100 tons of uranium mining wastes -- tailings -- gushed through a packed-mud dam near Church Rock, N.M. With the tailings, 100 million gallons of radioactive water gushed through the dam before the crack was repaired.

By 8 a.m., radioactivity was monitored in Gallup, N.M., nearly 50 miles away. The contaminated river, the Rio Puerco, showed 7,000 times the allowable standard of radioactivity for drinking water below the broken dam shortly after the breach was repaired, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. The few newspaper stories about the spill outside of the immediate area noted that the area was "sparsely populated" and that the spill "poses no immediate health hazard."

The High Cost of Uranium in Navajoland, by Bruce E. Johansen

2. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    Those primarily affected were just Native Americans. Why the excitement?

3. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Are you joking? Because if you are, it's very boorish on your part. If not, you're A-typical of the willfully ignorant, racist little shits that callously support anything they perceive as being against "those people".

4. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    LOL. My wife is part Hunkpapa Lokota. Many of her relitives were involved in AIM. And that is exactly the attitude that they have seen toward anything that occurs on the reservation. And the reason that you did not hear about that radioactive material spill. There have been literal wars on the reservations between those that would sell anything there for money, and those that would try to improve the living conditions of the Native Americans. Guess which faction our government supported?

5. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Who didn't here about this? I lived downstream of that leak and it was a major story for a couple of weeks in one of the largest cities in the country.

Want to try again?

6. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Okay, so you're being cynical....my apologies, as I did not include that as a possibility. See, I knew about such goings on....my subject title is for those who didn't.

7. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239

Who didn't hear about this? A LOT of people, my silly little Windbag, given that just a few months earlier 3 Mile Island was the dominant nuke power industry story.....it wasn't given a lot of play on the MSM at the time. I knew about it a few years later because I worked with folk in the national Native ministries of the Protestant church (not a member, just a former employee).

Given this information, it makes it harder for any rational person to try and defend nuke power in it's present form.

Want to try again be a condescending asshole, you Quantum Windbag?

8. taichiliberal

taichiliberal BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +239
    So long as it's not YOUR ass on the line, right?

9. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    But you said you, which is me, and I heard about it. So did everyone in New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, West Texas, and Northern Mexico. I even recall hearing about it on the national news at the time. That tells me that the only people who did not hear about it are the idiots who do not pay attention.

Given the fact that this was a mining accident and not a nuclear power accident any rational person would be understand that nuclear power in its present, or any other form, had nothing to do with it.

If I ever try to be a condescending asshole you will know full well what condescension means, unless you are too stupid to see it, which I actually suspect. What my first post, and this one, was is me being a smart ass.

You, on the other hand, continually try to be condescending and fail at it because it actually takes a degree of intelligence to pull it off successfully. You just come across as a twit.

Please do try again, it is amusing.

That, for the record, was condescending. I did not mean for it to be, but it was. I am leaving it in to show you what it is.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,413
    Oops, Windy has his panties in a knot:razz: