The newest "silent epidemic"

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
There are some things that just make you shake your head and say "WTF!".
It appears that a diaper shortage is significantly affecting the poor among us. They just cannot afford to buy diapers for their offspring and that inability is threatening the health of those children. WTF?
Let's put aside the fact that if you cannot afford to support children, you might want to consider putting off bearing them until you can.
Now, why should this even be an issue? I remember my mother washing, bleaching and hanging diapers out to dry, every day for almost 15 years. That's right, she used cloth diapers that were environmentally friendly and could be reused and recycled.
So let's get a grasp here, people...too poor, unemployed, disabled, just can't pull it together enough to afford disposable diapers? These "parents" should be issued an annual quota of cloth diapers, perhaps including washing directions. It worked just fine for hundreds of generations before, it will work just fine now, and it's a helluva lot cheaper!

Diaper crisis among poor families endangers children, study finds - latimes.com

Aside from that..people are re-learning what it means to be truly poor again. People are actually going hungry (despite foodstamps for all) and living without heat and air conditioning (horrors!) for the first time in their lives.

I used cloth only for my first two children, and for at least part of that time, we didn't have a clothes washer, so I washed them by hand. Yup. And even after we got a washing machine, we didn't have a dryer.

It can be done. Be strong little welfare mamas, you can do this!

It appears that a diaper shortage is significantly affecting the poor among us. They just cannot afford to buy diapers for their offspring and that inability is threatening the health of those children. WTF?
Let's put aside the fact that if you cannot afford to support children, you might want to consider putting off bearing them until you can.
Now, why should this even be an issue? I remember my mother washing, bleaching and hanging diapers out to dry, every day for almost 15 years. That's right, she used cloth diapers that were environmentally friendly and could be reused and recycled.
So let's get a grasp here, people...too poor, unemployed, disabled, just can't pull it together enough to afford disposable diapers? These "parents" should be issued an annual quota of cloth diapers, perhaps including washing directions. It worked just fine for hundreds of generations before, it will work just fine now, and it's a helluva lot cheaper!

i have zero sympathy. Disposable diapers are a luxury.

its called using cloth diapers and washing them.... the same thing that has been used forever. They will live.

"Poor families have few resources to turn to for help in buying diapers, experts say. A study of one city finds nearly 30% don't have enough for their children."

What about the other 70% of poor families? How is it that they are able to carve enough out of their booze/drugs/cigarettes budget to buy diapers? Haven't we had enough excuses for lack of any personal responsibility?

Attitudes here are typical of the hate from the rw's.
And, its why church diaper drives fail.

But, I'll bet most of the haters identify themselves as christian.

I could be wrong but I remember when people cared about other people and when they cared about children. Not any more though. Now, all we hear from the right is hate, hate and more hate.

I could be wrong but I remember when people cared about other people and when they cared about children. Not any more though. Now, all we hear from the right is hate, hate and more hate.

we do care.

Cloth diapers will work just fine. How is using cloth diapers hate? My guess is you were brought up in cloth diapers yourself. Were you hated?

Using cloth diapers is "hate"! Oh puhlleeezzzze.

I used cloth diapers. When my son got potty trained I used them for dust cloths. Those were the days when recycling was unquestioned.

I just laugh at the "poor" complaining that they don't have disposable diapers. Just laugh. I'd laugh at a "diaper drive" too. Laugh and walk away, it's a good reason to find another church.

If the poor are too fucking lazy to wash a diaper, take the kids away, they are too fucking lazy to do anything.

we do care.

Cloth diapers will work just fine. How is using cloth diapers hate? My guess is you were brought up in cloth diapers yourself. Were you hated?

Given Luddie's attitude and abilities, I'd say his parents loved him enough to keep in a closet, where he educated himself with comic books. You have to admit, though, if anyone has a handle on hate, it's Luddie.

Mine were born in the 70s and I used cloth diapers. Pampers were sold then, but I felt it was just too much out of the family budget for something throw away. My daughter used disposable diapers. She wasn't working then and did a lot of 'cuponing' so she got them at a greatly reduced rate. She also got a load of them when a Babies R Us, or some such, went out of business.

I am all for equal opportunities. Therefore, I believe they should all have the opportunity to use cloth diapers and wash them!

Last edited:

First, disposable diapers are not environmentally friendly. Second, I get tired of seeing them discarded still filled with shit on the Wal Mart parking lot. Third, disposable diapers are a luxury item. Fourth, welfare baby mammas can learn to use the washing machine. That is a life skill that serves one well in other situations.

Fifth, you, as usual, are a blithering idiot.

Why don't these folks who can't afford diapers take some lessons from those folks who are purposely trying to raise their children without diapers? Maybe just chain the kids to a stick out back or something?
Maybe chain their dog to the same stick. Dogs love to eat poo poo.
Think people, God help us, we'll figure this thing out.

:poop:

Luddly needs to adopt a welfare family and buy all their Pampers for 2 years.

Negged!

Soon he will be wanting us to pay for them to have Molly Maid as well.

Last edited:
Dingbat Sunshine and other knee jerkers -

I agree disposable diapers aren't environmentally friendly. I've written about "disposable" being another word for "permanent". They're also not baby friendly in that some actually produce one of the ingredients of Agent orange when they come into contact with urine.

Look all you want. You will never find a post from me that is in favor of disposable diapers. Nor will you find me saying that using cloth diapers is hate. What a stupid thing to say.

I've given cloth diapers to church diaper drives and would again if I see one. My bet is that all you holier-than-thou lying hypocrites have never even used a cloth diaper.

For those who care - hiring a diaper service is actually cheaper than buying disposables.

Oh and lastly, I'm terribly hurt and junk that you "negged" me.

Dumb ass twit.

Forum List

Back