The New Yorker: What is the single greatest piece of writing from The New Yorker?

Mojo2

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2013
The New Yorker: What is the single greatest piece of writing from The New Yorker?

The single greatest anything deserves your attention. Whether you agree with the pronouncement or the subject matter or the reaction surrounding it...and there was, from what it says here, lots of that.

Read this then follow the link and go to the reprint of the actual New Yorker issue and read what is called, "The single greatest piece of writing from The New Yorker."

As I am about to do, myself.

Steve Davis's answer to The New Yorker: What is the single greatest piece of writing from The New Yorker? - Quora

Incidentally, on Pg. 54 of the archived 1946 New Yorker piece there's an ad for Lux soap featuring two Hollwood starlets, one of them is Betty Garrett.

Betty Garret worked on All in the Family and also in Laverne & Shirley.

Here, she talks about that show.

There are several other YouTube clips of her strolling down memory lane if you are interested.

She also discusses being blacklisted, along with her hubby, actor (The Al Jolson Story) Larry Parks in the 1950's and her meeting with Sen. Joesph McCarthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I can't think of one.

Maybe this one?

The New Yorker Digital Edition : Aug 31, 1946

EDIT: Yes, I know their politics are different than what we might feel comfortable with, but I can look past that to enjoy what's there to enjoy. To appreciate that which has merit. The way we all used to do before Alinsky and Ayers & Co. began making it necessary for us to choose sides.

Last edited:
I'm finding it interesting to, also, leaf through this issue of the Aug 31, 1946 New Yorker to look at the ads.

On Page 59 there is an ad for a whiskey I'd never heard of.

So, I Googled it and sure enough it is not only still produced, it has a lot of fans!

Here's a relatively recent review.

The Kitchn

Best Bargain Booze: Old Overholt Rye

STRAIGHT UP COCKTAILS AND SPIRITS

"Do you have a favorite bargain spirit? Something with a lower than average price tag that delivers great value every time?"

Back in July, I posed this question to seven bar experts and a lively discussion ensued. Now that the weather's cooler and tastes are turning to darker spirits, it seems like the perfect time to tell you about my own personal pick: Old Overholt rye.

Affectionately known around my house as "Old Overcoat," Old Overholt Straight Rye Whiskey has long been a home bar staple for me. Here's why:

Best Bargain Booze: Old Overholt Rye Straight Up Cocktails and Spirits | The Kitchn

Wow 1946. They have truly been writing the same drivel.

I haven't finished reading the entire issue, but so far I'm finding this dispassionate account of the moments before and after the bomb dropped on Hiroshima quite engrossing. Bizarrely fascinating. Revealing. So far the only political overtones exhibited in this piece, which made up the entire issue of the magazine is the fact oif it's writing and publication.

And if it is truthful and factual, and I have no reason to doubt it is, it behooves me as a citizen in the nation that dropped the bomb to know what effect it had on the people.

I have always believed the A-Bombs were no more and no less destructive than the incendiary bombings which destroyed many japanese cities. But by using only ONE bomb and only three aircraft on the mission it removed hundreds of other crewmen from the dangers of flying combat over the japanese mainland.

A good thing.

But I've just reached the point in the article where I'm starting to suspect the deaths and injuries caused by this nuclear bomb were different and worse than any conventional munitions attacks.

Not necessarily a bad thing.

They sowed the wind at Pearl Harbor and they reaped the whirlwind as we took the war to them until they surrendered. A surrender abruptly brought about by these bombs.

Part of me feels compassion for their suffering but another side of me, and this represents the majority of my sensibility, is detached from these tales of wartime horror because they deserved every bit of the pain and agony and grief. And if I had the duty to pull the lever to drop the bomb myself i would feel completely at ease in doing so.

Just as Col. Paul Tibbets, pilot of the B-29 (named after his Mom, "Enola Gay") who dropped the bomb later said, he never lost a night's sleep over the raid, I doubt I would have either.

To me this piece is just an interesting insight into an historic but awsome event only made necessary by the decisions of the japanese who attacked Hawaii and their failure to surrender when it looked like a terribly costly and deadly invasion was being made unavoidable.

Not drivel to me.

Not at all.

It's great writing.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back