The new normal.....rising temperatures

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Hot summers (and balmier winters) may simply be the new normal, thanks to carbon dioxide lingering in the atmosphere for centuries.

This trend reaches back further than a couple of years. There have been exactly zero months, since February 1985, with average temperatures below those for the entire 20th century. (And those numbers are not as dramatic as they could be, because the last 15 years of the 20th century included in this period raised its average temperature, thereby lessening the century-long heat differential.) That streak—304 months and counting—was certainly not broken in June 2010, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Last month saw average global surface temperatures 0.68 degree Celsius warmer than the 20th-century average of 15.5 degrees C for June—making it the warmest June at ground level since record-keeping began in 1880.

Hot summers (and balmier winters) may simply be the new normal, thanks to carbon dioxide lingering in the atmosphere for centuries.

This trend reaches back further than a couple of years. There have been exactly zero months, since February 1985, with average temperatures below those for the entire 20th century. (And those numbers are not as dramatic as they could be, because the last 15 years of the 20th century included in this period raised its average temperature, thereby lessening the century-long heat differential.) That streak—304 months and counting—was certainly not broken in June 2010, according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). Last month saw average global surface temperatures 0.68 degree Celsius warmer than the 20th-century average of 15.5 degrees C for June—making it the warmest June at ground level since record-keeping began in 1880.

The New Normal?: Average Global Temperatures Continue to Rise: Scientific American

Yeah right:lol::lol::lol: Tell that to the Californians freezing their asses off. Or how about those poor folks in South America who really DID freeze to death with the record cold down there.

Trend News: 175 people killed in South America cold spell

Give the propaganda a break. No one pays any attention to it anymore.

Indeed.........they were still skiiing two weekends ago in northern California. A record up there. And on July 2nd, it was fcukking snowing in New Hampshire.............clearly its hot as hell everywhere!!!:lol:

PS......."Scientific American" is a bogus science site.........dedicated to perpetuating the "man-made" global warming myth. There are scores of sites just like it. Just go Google "SourceWatch" and check out who sits on the Board of Directors...........all fcukking k00k environmentalist peers. When you care to dig deeper into who's aggressively pushing this fraudulent shit, you will find an activist environmentalist source........Greenpeace, Union of Concerned Scientists, Sierra Club, Clean Air task Force, EPA, Health Effects Insititute, Science Daily..............yada...........yada.............yada...............

Theres a whole maga-industry out there s0ns.............all stand to gain immeasurably by continuing to sound the alarms of gloom and doom!!! To the tune of hundreds of billions!!!

Last edited:
the weather now is really unpredictable... make life a lot more stressful indeed...

Last edited:
Sea levels are rising faster than scientists predicted just a few years ago. Himalayan glaciers are melting.

According to NASA, 2010 is on course to be the planet’s hottest year since records started in 1880. The current top 10, in descending order, are: 2005, 2007, 2009, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2004, 2001 and 2008.

Hot is the new normal.

GHCN_GISS_HR2SST_1200km_Anom06.gif

Data @ NASA GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Global Maps from GHCN Data

Sea levels are rising faster than scientists predicted just a few years ago. Himalayan glaciers are melting.

According to NASA, 2010 is on course to be the planet’s hottest year since records started in 1880. The current top 10, in descending order, are: 2005, 2007, 2009, 1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2004, 2001 and 2008.

Hot is the new normal.

GHCN_GISS_HR2SST_1200km_Anom06.gif

Data @ NASA GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Global Maps from GHCN Data

Capt Obvious strikes again.

Hot is the normal?? Of course it is.........has been for quite some time since we came out of the last ice age.

Any other news you might want to clue us in on genius??

:funnyface::funnyface::funnyface:

:oops:

I love pwning this meatheads, but especially on a Satudrday AM when I actually have some time to post up some stuff. Unlike the k00ks who spend 18 hours a day 7 days a week on this site.:clap2:

All this heat comes at a time when the sun—despite a recent uptick in solar storm activity, much of it associated with sunspots, since late 2008—continues to pump out slightly less energy. This diminished solar radiation should be promoting a slight cooling but is apparently outweighed by the ongoing accumulation of atmospheric greenhouse gases, particularly carbon dioxide, as scientists have predicted for more than a century. Of course year to year variations in weather cannot be conclusively tied to climate change, which is best measured by a multiyear trend, such as the long-term trend of warming into which this year fits—2000 to 2010 is already the warmest decade since records have been kept and the 10 warmest average annual surface temperatures have all occurred in the past 15 years.

The New Normal?: Average Global Temperatures Continue to Rise: Scientific American

Wow!

I'm sure grateful for these balmier winters or instead of just record snow we would have had Super Duper Record snow!

Oh, all that ice melting, how come the Maldive are still above water? Where's the melted ice going, directly to outer space?

BBC: Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming?

Phil "AGW" Jones: Yes

Hot is the new normal.

It's so hot here, oppressive. Everyday is the same as the last, everyone is complaining so bad about it.

I just want to turn my air off and open the windows for a few days.

Hot is the new normal.

It's so hot here, oppressive. Everyday is the same as the last, everyone is complaining so bad about it.

As our pea brain 'scientists' will point out, the earth has been much hotter in the past. What they don't tell you is there was no human life on the planet.

The summers are undoutably warmer on the East coast than they were when I was a kid.

The heat waves are getting longer, and their temps higher than any time I can remember in my lifetime.

Whether this is merely a normal deviation from the norm, or the result of global warming I truly cannot say.

But to deny the blantently obvious seems foolish to me.

Whatever the reason, the summers have been getting warmer and the winters milder.

The REASON for this is debateable.

The FACT is undeniable.

Hot is the new normal.

As our pea brain 'scientists' will point out, the earth has been much hotter in the past. What they don't tell you is there was no human life on the planet.

Meh....regardless, there certainly weren't cities populated by millions of people depending on air conditioning that watch the weather forecast on TV.

BBC: Do you agree that from 1995 to the present there has been no statistically-significant global warming?

LOL!!! This is typical of the dishonesty so prevelant in the denier camp. They trashed this guy for months and now they're hingeing their position on his answer to a narrowly crafted question and touting him! Here's a clue. AGW and the answer he gave could very well both be true. Natural fluctuations will, of course, still occur, but long range trends would still be up. That's why sometimes you have to use "tricks" of the statistical trade to "hide the decline" from other sources and winnow out the contribution of man. The deniers will say those words prove fraud, but the real fraud is that they're trying to change the intent of those words to further their own agenda.

Indeed.

there's going to be normal fluxusations in temperatures whether the climate is getting warmer, getting colder or staying the same.

That is undoubtably true.

Now who here among us is going to try to tell us that on the EAST COAST the summers haven't been getting warmer and the winters milder even taking into account those normal random deviations from the mean?

Anybody want to tell me that is NOT true in the last 50 years?

My father, having lived in the same hourse for the last 55 years, noted recently that the heat wave in July, something that is normal in July, but that used to be something that typically lasted a week, is now into their 22 day of 90 + temps.

That is a very large deviation from the norm, folks.

Admittedly, it might be normal in the LONG RUN, but human being do not live in the LONG RUN, we live in a very short run.

Our society has based how it works on that SHORT run too.

So regardless of what is causing these changes, it take a special kind of willingness to believe bullshit to deny what is plainly evident to all of us.

It's getting hotter, folks.

Denial doesn't change reality.

Indeed.

there's going to be normal fluxusations in temperatures whether the climate is getting warmer, getting colder or staying the same.

That is undoubtably true.

Now who here among us is going to try to tell us that on the EAST COAST the summers haven't been getting warmer and the winters milder even taking into account those normal random deviations from the mean?

Anybody want to tell me that is NOT true in the last 50 years?

My father, having lived in the same hourse for the last 55 years, noted recently that the heat wave in July, something that is normal in July, but that used to be something that typically lasted a week, is now into their 22 day of 90 + temps.

That is a very large deviation from the norm, folks.

Admittedly, it might be normal in the LONG RUN, but human being do not live in the LONG RUN, we live in a very short run.

I don't get the construct of your arguement: On the one hand, you support your arguement with you're father's experience, then on the other you admit that experience is short.

Why do you extrapolate the short run experience into a longer run future?

And here in the Bay Area, temperatures for this week are once again forecasted far below normal (8 to 9 degrees below normal).

In other news, Peru has declared a Cold Wave Emergency; the death toll exceeds 400.

he Peruvian government declared a state of emergency because of the cold wave gripping a number of districts in the nation’s 16 regions, according to an urgent decree published Saturday in the official gazette.

The decree covers all districts of the country more than 3,000 meters (9,800 feet) above sea level, as well as three regions in the Peruvian jungle that have registered strangely low temperatures in the last few weeks.

According to official figures, so far this year at least 409 people have died of pneumonia and ailments related to the cold weather, most of them younger than 5 years old (200 deaths) and over 60 years (158 deaths)....

Latin American Herald Tribune - Peru Government Declares Cold Wave Emergency in 16 Regions

LOL!!! This is typical of the dishonesty so prevelant in the denier camp. They trashed this guy for months and now they're hingeing their position on his answer to a narrowly crafted question and touting him! Here's a clue. AGW and the answer he gave could very well both be true. Natural fluctuations will, of course, still occur, but long range trends would still be up. That's why sometimes you have to use "tricks" of the statistical trade to "hide the decline" from other sources and winnow out the contribution of man. The deniers will say those words prove fraud, but the real fraud is that they're trying to change the intent of those words to further their own agenda.

What preytell is our agenda? The GW alarmists agenda is to get rich on the backs of the poor. This is verifiable if you just look at all the highpowered investment companies who are heavily invested in the passage of carbon control laws that they get to profit from. They are allready pre positioned, they just need to get the politicians to pass the laws for them.

I can tell you my agenda, it is quite simply to educate the uninformed so that they can make logical choices not based on emotion so as to not bankrupt the western nations in a ridiculous attempt to control the uncontrolable.

Forum List

Back