The Myth of Wind and Solar Energy: They Are Not Free

Discussion in 'Energy' started by longknife, Dec 22, 2012.

1. longknife

longknife Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,489
    - Institute for Energy Research Friday, December 21, 2012

Read more @ The Myth of Wind and Solar Energy: They Are Not Free

:confused:

2. neomalthusian

neomalthusian Agnostic Prognosticator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It's good to clarify myths around alternative energies. Getting smarter about how we harness what's around us makes sense, but we shouldn't delude ourselves as to what it can do. We will never barge goods around the world or fly airliners or do our 80 bazillion acre monocrop farming with electric vehicles.

I think you have to look at an overall EROEI for the whole process to figure out what has any real promise, and you have to acknowledge the limits of batteries. So far that leaves us with soberingly few big picture solutions over the long term. And by that I mean none.

3. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    So far in the boonies, I'm not on google street vi
    Ratings:
    +6,052
    So far, solar power works well enough for my 900 sq ft home. I still have a gas-powered generator for backup. I heat using a wood-burning stove, but have a propane stove on a thermostat to keep the place above freezing when I am gone too long to stoke that wood-burner. I am still doing the research to determine whether wind power will be an adequate alternative to the solar panels. ButI only am concerned with a small home and dairy. I do not have to power an entire city or an industrial complex.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,283
    If one follows the logic of the right wing we should never have crossed the Atlantic, moved out of the caves, farmed this grassland, or even came out of the trees. Thankfully not everyone is a negative naysayer of change. Sometimes the trees run out of fruit, the caves grow cold, and weeds come in handy for food.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. neomalthusian

neomalthusian Agnostic Prognosticator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    [​IMG]

6. Meathead

Meathead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,775
    It is abject stupidity to think or even imply that any kind of power is free, except perhaps solar panels warming water. Electricity is costly to generate, except of course if you can harness it like Dr Frankenstein.

7. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,274
  8. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,867
    The Myth of Wind and Solar Energy: They Are Not Free

Who ever said they were?

9. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,682

No, we say if it works use it, just don't lie about it. I've had a solar system for 27 years in my home. How about you? I know what it can, and cannot do. Solar is inefficient when scaled up but for an individual home it has a place. Mine is a backup system and is now in need of replacement so I am researching those and so far the efficiencies are little better than when I built our first system. That's pathetic.

I am all for alternative energy systems...just not the grossly overpriced and innefficient crap they have now that is only around because the government takes money from middle class folks and gives it to rich Obama supporters.

10. gallantwarrior

gallantwarrior Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    So far in the boonies, I'm not on google street vi
    Ratings:
    +6,052
    I agree that some alternative systems work on a small-scale basis. My place is wired for 12VDC. That works if you are willing to give up some amenities like microwave ovens, modern-style washers and dryers, among other larger appliances. I can charge cell phones and run my laptop using the dc converters like those used in your car. Other than that, you can buy 12vdc TVs', DVD players, refrigerators that run on both ad/dc electric or propane, and our light fixtures are all retro-fitted with LEDs.
    They are experimenting in several villages here with wind generation. These are very small villages, and they are located where wind is pretty steady. Otherwise, wind is about the least efficient of all the new-age power generation ideas.

You are right about the cost, too. None of these systems is cheap to install. And they must be maintained properly to get maximum useful life from them. What's really hilarious is how the proponents for alternative power generation tout them as being environmentally friendly. Just what do they do with those batteries when they are no longer useful? Wind generation has been implicated in wildlife disturbances, too.