The myth of "far right Christian fundamentalism"

That just shows how little you know about Lewis.

Touchstone Archives: C. S. Lewis, Reluctant Churchman

Not that it matters, because 1) Jake's remarks are irrelevant to what I said, and 2) Jake's remarks are "sourced" by Wikipedia, which automatically makes HIM irrelevant to . . . well, everything.

I enjoy catching him in lies.

Then you must love your mirror.

Oh wait -- we already knew that. :eusa_doh:

"Goddamn it, John ... the Republicans are selling their soul to win elections ... Mark my word ... if and when these preachers get control of the party, and they’re sure trying to do so, it’s going to be a terrible damn problem." -- Barry Goldwater as told to John Dean

"Universities"??? :confused:

This has anything remotely to do with religious zealotry ........ how again? Is the University of Northern Michigan proclaiming UConn to be "blasphemers"? Has Boston College engaged Georgia Tech in a modern iteration of the Crusades? :cuckoo:

Or are we regressing back to this embarrassment?
(whew-- hard to live that one down. The internets do not forget...)

You must be confused, this thread is about the false perception of religious zealotry.

The obvious disposed of, what makes you think that religious zealotry is confined to religion? There are plenty of examples of communists who are fervent to the point of zealotry in defense of their beliefs. Anyone who thinks religious belief is a prerequisite of religious zealotry shouldn't be discussing the issue at all.

Now that all your puerile objections have been disposed of, can you answer my question?

:cuckoo: :cuckoo: :cuckoo:

No; you didn't present one. "Religious" means "religious". It doesn't mean 'passionate'. Has nothing to do with communism or universities or a cheering crowd at a football game.

You've presented no question; you have however made strides on whatever novel you're writing. Let me know when it gets connected to something.

He used the term correctly. Unless you are REALLY sure about the definition, you probably shouldn't advise others...

"
re·li·gious

adjective \ri-ˈli-jəs\

Definition of RELIGIOUS

: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>

: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>

a : scrupulously and conscientiously faithful"

"Acknowledged ultimate reality" or "scrupulously and conscientiously faithful". It does't have to be to THE god. It can be towards any god of your choosing.

Fool.

Religious - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

The Screwtape Letters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As a high Anglican, Lewis thought of evangelicals and fundamentalists probably as heretics yet believers.

That just shows how little you know about Lewis.

Touchstone Archives: C. S. Lewis, Reluctant Churchman

Not that it matters, because 1) Jake's remarks are irrelevant to what I said, and 2) Jake's remarks are "sourced" by Wikipedia, which automatically makes HIM irrelevant to . . . well, everything.

There isn't a single person on this board who doesn't recognize Jake as a habitual and dogged liar. He finally figured out that he really has less credibility than anyone but tdm, and has been trying to revamp his image and gain reputation points by hanging out in the tavern, but it's a lost cause. Nobody here is ever going to take him seriously...and they should't.

The reactionaries and social traditionalists are unable to rebut the objective facts about C. S. Lewis, and thus resort to trolling and lies. Witness QWB and kg.

I keep hearing how this "fundamentalist" class leapt into existence in the 60s...and how the Republican party is "now" full of "fundies"...and how anyone who doesn't support abortion, gay marriage, the taxation of churches and sex counseling in schools is a "fundie".

It occurs to me that nothing exists in a vacuum. We are more liberal today than we have ever been...but the defamation of Christians began in the 60s with the rise of the radical left.

What a load of delusional bullshit. The LEft and Christian churches held no animosity during those turbulant time

In fact, it was OFTEN the CHURCHES that the LEFTIES counted on to have a place to crash during anti-war and civil rights demonstrations.

We protestors were welcomed to sleeep on a lot of Church floors back in those days.

Last edited:
You must be confused, this thread is about the false perception of religious zealotry.

The obvious disposed of, what makes you think that religious zealotry is confined to religion? There are plenty of examples of communists who are fervent to the point of zealotry in defense of their beliefs. Anyone who thinks religious belief is a prerequisite of religious zealotry shouldn't be discussing the issue at all.

Now that all your puerile objections have been disposed of, can you answer my question?

No; you didn't present one. "Religious" means "religious". It doesn't mean 'passionate'. Has nothing to do with communism or universities or a cheering crowd at a football game.

You've presented no question; you have however made strides on whatever novel you're writing. Let me know when it gets connected to something.

He used the term correctly. Unless you are REALLY sure about the definition, you probably shouldn't advise others...

"
re·li·gious

adjective \ri-&#712;li-j&#601;s\

Definition of RELIGIOUS

: relating to or manifesting faithful devotion to an acknowledged ultimate reality or deity <a religious person> <religious attitudes>

: of, relating to, or devoted to religious beliefs or observances <joined a religious order>

"Acknowledged ultimate reality" or "scrupulously and conscientiously faithful". It does't have to be to THE god. It can be towards any god of your choosing.

Fool.

HE didn't bring the term up; I . did. He doesn't get to redefine what I meant by it. The fact is the original comment brought up "religious extremists" with their moral dictatorialism. That has nothing to do with universities or football or anything else. Period.

Just more of this incessant need to fuck with other people's words to make a point that isn't in the conversation. He does this all the time. In my experience, every thread he goes to. He can't deal with the present point, so he changes it, then I challenge him to quote where I said that, then he runs away and comes back with something else. Or just runs away. Been there, done that, lather, rinse, repeat.

That's why I find it supremely ironic that he'd refer to someone else lying. DeNial is a deep deep river.

I keep hearing how this "fundamentalist" class leapt into existence in the 60s...and how the Republican party is "now" full of "fundies"...and how anyone who doesn't support abortion, gay marriage, the taxation of churches and sex counseling in schools is a "fundie".

It occurs to me that nothing exists in a vacuum. We are more liberal today than we have ever been...but the defamation of Christians began in the 60s with the rise of the radical left.

What a load of delusional bullshit. The LEft and Christian churches held no animosity during those turbulant time

In fact, it was OFTEN the CHURCHES that the LEFTIES counted on to have a place to crash during anti-war and civil rights demonstrations.

We protestors were welcomed to sleeep on a lot of Church floors back in those days.

Hate to point out the obvious, but there is a significant difference between the radical left, which advocated violence, and the civil rights movement, which opposed violence. Feel free to point out how out of touch us right wingers are with history the next time we catch you rewriting it.

"
re·li·gious

Definition of RELIGIOUS

Fool.

HE didn't bring the term up; I . did. He doesn't get to redefine what I meant by it. The fact is the original comment brought up "religious extremists" with their moral dictatorialism. That has nothing to do with universities or football or anything else. Period.

Just more of this incessant need to fuck with other people's words to make a point that isn't in the conversation. He does this all the time. In my experience, every thread he goes to. He can't deal with the present point, so he changes it, then I challenge him to quote where I said that, then he runs away and comes back with something else. Or just runs away. Been there, done that, lather, rinse, repeat.

That's why I find it supremely ironic that he'd refer to someone else lying. DeNial is a deep deep river.

I did not define it for you, I defined it for everyone else on the planet. I even used a dictionary, now you are the one that is attempting to close the debate by insisting that you are the only person who gets to define words, and that anyone else that uses the word has to use it the exact same way you do.

Interesting tactic, I understand it is still used on playgrounds all across America.

I refer you to the OP. Try, try again. Eventually comprehension will come to you. Or not.

So you have no answer.

You lose.

The OP is where I started. I even quoted it and addressed it directly. You might have noticed. You might not.

I don't see a point to this thread beyond reversalist history about left-right contemporary trends clumsily coupled with a 'poor me' martyr-complex propaganda.

So I take it you're dismissing the study cuz you know better, eh?

Irony x 2.

It isn't a "study" -- what you linked me to is an essay postulating a position, that position being apparently that religious based politics is not a monolithic movement. It quotes a study to support its thesis, but what it all has to do with your OP I don't know.

Are you just unable to articulate what your point is? I mean other than "they're all out to get us and you're a moron"?
So right...

You NAILED IT!!!

bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329.jpg

THE CHRISTIAN RIGHT AND THE RISE OF AMERICAN FASCISM

By -- CHRIS HEDGES

15 Nov 2004

Dr. James Luther Adams, my ethics professor at Harvard Divinity School, told us that when we were his age, he was then close to 80, we would all be fighting the "Christian fascists."

The warning, given to me 25 years ago, came at the moment Pat Robertson and other radio and televangelists began speaking about a new political religion that would direct its efforts at taking control of all institutions, including mainstream denominations and the government. Its stated goal was to use the United States to create a global, Christian empire. It was hard, at the time, to take such fantastic rhetoric seriously, especially given the buffoonish quality of those who expounded it. But Adams warned us against the blindness caused by intellectual snobbery. The Nazis, he said, were not going to return with swastikas and brown shirts. Their ideological inheritors had found a mask for fascism in the pages of the Bible.

He was not a man to use the word fascist lightly. He was in Germany in 1935 and 1936 and worked with the underground anti-Nazi church, known as The Confessing Church, led by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. Adams was eventually detained and interrogated by the Gestapo, who suggested he might want to consider returning to the United States . It was a suggestion he followed. He left on a night train with framed portraits of Adolph Hitler placed over the contents inside his suitcase to hide the rolls of home movie film he took of the so-called German Christian Church, which was pro-Nazi, and the few individuals who defied them, including the theologians Karl Barth and Albert Schweitzer. The ruse worked when the border police lifted the top of the suitcases, saw the portraits of the Fuhrer and closed them up again. I watched hours of the grainy black and white films as he narrated in his apartment in Cambridge.

He saw in the Christian Right, long before we did, disturbing similarities with the German Christian Church and the Nazi Party, similarities that he said would, in the event of prolonged social instability or a national crisis, see American fascists, under the guise of religion, rise to dismantle the open society. He despaired of liberals, who he said, as in Nazi Germany, mouthed silly platitudes about dialogue and inclusiveness that made them ineffectual and impotent. Liberals, he said, did not understand the power and allure of evil nor the cold reality of how the world worked. The current hand wringing by Democrats in the wake of the election, with many asking how they can reach out to a movement whose leaders brand them "demonic" and "satanic," would not have surprised Adams. Like Bonhoeffer, he did not believe that those who would fight effectively in coming times of turmoil, a fight that for him was an integral part of the Biblical message, would come from the church or the liberal, secular elite.

His critique of the prominent research universities, along with the media, was no less withering. These institutions, self-absorbed, compromised by their close relationship with government and corporations, given enough of the pie to be complacent, were unwilling to deal with the fundamental moral questions and inequities of the age. They had no stomach for a battle that might cost them their prestige and comfort. He told me that if the Nazis took over America "60 percent of the Harvard faculty would begin their lectures with the Nazi salute." This too was not an abstraction. He had watched academics at the University of Heidelberg, including the philosopher Martin Heidegger, raise their arms stiffly to students before class.

Two decades later, even in the face of the growing reach of the Christian Right, his prediction seems apocalyptic. And yet the powerbrokers in the Christian Right have moved from the fringes of society to the floor of the House of Representatives and the Senate. Christian fundamentalists now hold a majority of seats in 36 percent of all Republican Party state committees, or 18 of 50 states, along with large minorities in 81 percent of the rest of the states. Forty-five Senators and 186 members of the House of Representatives earned between an 80 to100 percent approval ratings from the three most influential Christian Right advocacy groups - The Christian Coalition, Eagle Forum, and Family Resource Council. Tom Coburn, the new senator from Oklahoma, has included in his campaign to end abortion: a call to impose the death penalty on doctors that carry out abortions once the ban goes into place. Another new senator, John Thune, believes in Creationism. Jim DeMint, the new senator elected from South Carolina, wants to ban single mothers from teaching in schools. The Election Day exit polls found that 22 percent of voters identified themselves as evangelical Christians and Bush won 77 percent of their vote. The polls found that a plurality of voters said that the most important issue in the campaign had been "moral values."

President Bush must further these important objectives, including the march to turn education and social welfare over to the churches with his faith-based initiative, as well as chip away at the wall between church and state with his judicial appointments, if he does not want to face a revolt within his core constituency.

Jim Dobson, the head of Focus on the Family, who held weekly telephone conversations with Karl Rove during the campaign, has put the President on notice. He told ABC's "This Week" that "this president has two years, or more broadly the Republican Party has two years, to implement these policies, or certainly four, or I believe they'll pay a price in the next election."

Bush may turn out to be a transition figure, our version of Otto von Bismarck. Bismarck used "values" to energize his base at the end of the 19th century and launched "Kulturkampt," the word from which we get "culture wars," against Catholics and Jews. Bismarck 's attacks split the country, made the discrediting of whole segments of the society an acceptable part of the civil discourse and paved the way for the more virulent racism of the Nazis. This, I suspect, will be George Bush's contribution to our democracy.

more

All you need to do is start screaming about dominionism and you will be the perfect replacement for "One Who Must Not Be Named." That and throw in an epic meltdown occasionally.

The 2008 Vice Presidential candidate from the Republican party believes in end times theology.

Philip Munger asked Palin if she truly believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. “She looked in my eyes and said, ‘Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime.’”

So?

"
re·li·gious

Definition of RELIGIOUS

Fool.

I did not define it for you, I defined it for everyone else on the planet. I even used a dictionary, now you are the one that is attempting to close the debate by insisting that you are the only person who gets to define words, and that anyone else that uses the word has to use it the exact same way you do.

Interesting tactic, I understand it is still used on playgrounds all across America.

Uh, it's my point dood, so damn right I get to define it. Sorry if that doesn't suit your controlfreakism that insists on dictating what other people are talking about. Grow the fuck up.

Uh, it's my point dood, so damn right I get to define it. Sorry if that doesn't suit your controlfreakism that insists on dictating what other people are talking about. Grow the fuck up.

:eusa_eh::cuckoo:

Here is "far right Christian fundamentalism" in action...it will make you sick...

Brainwashing children to be Jihadists for Jesus...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNfL6IVWCE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RNfL6IVWCE[/ame]

That's the way most progressives would see it. Incest is near and dear to their hearts...

Here is "far right Christian fundamentalism" in action...it will make you sick...

Jesus Camp...Praise Bush

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdt_f0hwUg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxdt_f0hwUg[/ame]

Forum List

Back