The Myth of Establishment Republicans versus Conservative Republicans

Mustang

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2010
39° 44 mins 21 secs N, 104° 59 mins 5 secs W
I've been hearing a lot of talk lately from self-described conservatives (of course) that establishment Republicans are so much different from real conservatives who have principles.

That's just nonsense, and I'll tell you why. Here's the reality.

The way that modern day campaigns are now paid for with big money donors footing the overwhelming costs of media advertising as well as other campaign-related costs, a Republican (and that means ANY Republican) politician, whether he's considered moderate or conservative, understands that he has to 'deliver the goods' if he has any hope of winning his reelection bid.

In other words, unless you're naïve and you believe that politicians can accept these large sums of hard and soft money from wealthy corporations and well-heeled donors and then ignore those very same corporate requests for gov't contracts and what otherwise amounts to what those corporate interests consider a 'return on their 'investment,' you would understand that it's the manner in which campaigns are financed (and WON) that's at the heart of the problem.

So, for you conservatives out there, here's the answer to the problem in the nutshell. If you want things to change, in terms of how Washington works in order to get control over spending, you've got to support REAL campaign finance reform when it comes to the way in which campaigns are financed. That means that the public financing of campaigns is the most logical option because that would mean that politicians would not be beholding to big money donors anymore. Without that type of real reform, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING is EVER going to change.

But you guys seem to be constantly suckered into supporting the argument that these large expenditures of money in the 10s of millions of dollars (if not considerably more) is an example of freedom. It's not. Not unless it means it's your freedom to continually get suckered into constantly backing a candidate who will ultimately realize which side of the bread has the butter on it and vote in such a way that furthers his own personal and professional interests, regardless of his stated political affiliation or his particular ideology.

That's the way the system now works and any wishing to the contrary is a waste of time. That means if you want to change the outcome, you've got to change who has the greatest input. If it's wealthy corporate interests and big money donors, they'll be the ones who decide while you sit on the sidelines complaining about the process.

Just like the myth of a moderate democrat vs a centrist Democrat?

The irony of these far left drones and their comments..

I'm guessing that you are a Recidivist Supply Side Voting Deficit Hawk.......would that be right?

Honestly, I miss Conservatives.

They're gone and I don't see any reason to think they'll be back for a long long time.

I am open minded to the idea of campaign finance reform. It is ridiculous to expect the insecure attention whores who are attracted to politics to possess any moral scruples.

But the fact is Democrat candidates receive just as much money as Republican. It's insane to blame it all on "Republicans". That is exactly the type of binary thinking that these DC clowns rely upon.

The so called "conservatives" are nothing more then anarchist or loserterians using the name conservative. They don't like government and believe America should stop investing in our own country.

These retards would make nearly every old fashion type conservative wonder wtf? Because they would support things that needed to be done that were within our national interest. These assholes just want to cut and destroy.

I've been hearing a lot of talk lately from self-described conservatives (of course) that establishment Republicans are so much different from real conservatives who have principles.

That's just nonsense, and I'll tell you why. Here's the reality.

The way that modern day campaigns are now paid for with big money donors footing the overwhelming costs of media advertising as well as other campaign-related costs, a Republican (and that means ANY Republican) politician, whether he's considered moderate or conservative, understands that he has to 'deliver the goods' if he has any hope of winning his reelection bid.

In other words, unless you're naïve and you believe that politicians can accept these large sums of hard and soft money from wealthy corporations and well-heeled donors and then ignore those very same corporate requests for gov't contracts and what otherwise amounts to what those corporate interests consider a 'return on their 'investment,' you would understand that it's the manner in which campaigns are financed (and WON) that's at the heart of the problem.

So, for you conservatives out there, here's the answer to the problem in the nutshell. If you want things to change, in terms of how Washington works in order to get control over spending, you've got to support REAL campaign finance reform when it comes to the way in which campaigns are financed. That means that the public financing of campaigns is the most logical option because that would mean that politicians would not be beholding to big money donors anymore. Without that type of real reform, nothing, I repeat, NOTHING is EVER going to change.

But you guys seem to be constantly suckered into supporting the argument that these large expenditures of money in the 10s of millions of dollars (if not considerably more) is an example of freedom. It's not. Not unless it means it's your freedom to continually get suckered into constantly backing a candidate who will ultimately realize which side of the bread has the butter on it and vote in such a way that furthers his own personal and professional interests, regardless of his stated political affiliation or his particular ideology.

That's the way the system now works and any wishing to the contrary is a waste of time. That means if you want to change the outcome, you've got to change who has the greatest input. If it's wealthy corporate interests and big money donors, they'll be the ones who decide while you sit on the sidelines complaining about the process.

If it's just a myth, why didn't you post it in conspiracy theories? This forum is for the discussion of real govt. policies and candidates.

The "real conservatives" you speak of are Trump and Carson -- both totally unqualified for the office of POTUS.

It's not about money or establishment or RINOs vs real or any of that bullshit.... You have a freak show on the right with morons leading in the polls, this is just embarrassing for the GOP brand.

What could have been a wonderful OP turned to nothing more than hot air when this card was played:
**** That means that the public financing of campaigns is the most logical option because that would mean that politicians would not be beholding to big money donors anymore.****

Who can tell me the name of the first presidential candidate that chose to pass up public funding, knowing their campaign could do better financially without it?

i am all in favor of campaign finance reform (CFR), i guess in these times of big money, set a maximum of $20,000,000.00 for every candidate, let them really learn about financial responsibility and priorities, just like we have to do to keep and stay solvent, every penny must be accounted for, any gifts, perks and/or promises must have a monetary value decided by a CFR committee of twelve, six from each party, any ties in discussion of afore mentioned compensations will be denied, any cheating of the system will be automatic disqualification with immediate suspension of campaign.

more to come if you have read this far. :up:

The "real conservatives" you speak of are Trump and Carson -- both totally unqualified for the office of POTUS.

It's not about money or establishment or RINOs vs real or any of that bullshit.... You have a freak show on the right with morons leading in the polls, this is just embarrassing for the GOP brand.

You racist far left drones would not know a conservative if it were staring back at you in a mirror..

that describes dems as well.

so that means your naive

I agree with the op BUT would suggest that ALL politicians are beholden to the money.
I would also submit that we DESPERATELY need term limits.

freedom of speech means giving money to any pol I want. I don't have to like the results of freedom, but I prefer it over tyranny, which you clearly don't

I agree with the op BUT would suggest that ALL politicians are beholden to the money.
I would also submit that we DESPERATELY need term limits.
term limits is a form of tyranny.

who are you to say I don't get to keep electing the same douchebag over and over again
I am a man with an opinion and the freedom of speech to express it. Problem?

Forum List

Back