The Movie Bidness - Downton Abbey

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
So Downton Abbey was a series produced by the BBC (contracted to Carnival Films), and picked up by U.S. Public Broadcasting. America loved it, as did the rest of the world. Including me.

The gang who "did" Downton Abbey have got together with Carnival Films to produce a movie which will cleverly be called, "Downton Abbey." It picks up the same characters two years later, and adds to the original story line. Same writer, same cast.

Our local PBS station is running hour-long promotional programs, pushing the movie and encouraging viewers to pay to go see it in theaters (as well as buying the DVD sets of the original TV series).

How's that again? This is a commercial venture - profit-making venture, if all goes well - unrelated to PBS, and PBS is giving it free publicity and advertising. I realize that PBS doesn't get all its funding from the Gub'mint, but is this an appropriate use of our tax dollars?

Downton was the highest rated show ever on PBS. It brought in tons of viewers which is why they still have marathons periodically. The more people stick around, the more likely they are to donate. It is why colleges go all out for homecoming. A good time is profitable.

I just saw that movie this afternoon.

For anyone who enjoyed the PBS program, the movie was well worth the price of admission. Several new story lines were created for major characters, and all were brought to conclusion. Very satisfying. Interesting perspective on English feelings about royalty.

Julian Fellowes is an artistic genius. Wrote every word, just like the series.

I liked the show but was never really comfortable with the show's philosophy that rich people should hire as many servants as possible so that working class people have jobs.

So Downton Abbey was a series produced by the BBC (contracted to Carnival Films), and picked up by U.S. Public Broadcasting. America loved it, as did the rest of the world. Including me.

The gang who "did" Downton Abbey have got together with Carnival Films to produce a movie which will cleverly be called, "Downton Abbey." It picks up the same characters two years later, and adds to the original story line. Same writer, same cast.

Our local PBS station is running hour-long promotional programs, pushing the movie and encouraging viewers to pay to go see it in theaters (as well as buying the DVD sets of the original TV series).

How's that again? This is a commercial venture - profit-making venture, if all goes well - unrelated to PBS, and PBS is giving it free publicity and advertising. I realize that PBS doesn't get all its funding from the Gub'mint, but is this an appropriate use of our tax dollars?
No. PBS needs to go away as a recepient of Federal funding

Candy, you are absolutely correct, but the issue highlights one of the downsides of domestic politics = Math.

"Everyone" knows that there is no rational reason for the Federal Government to subsidize television. Originally, the argument that was made was that the three of four commercial networks could not be relied on to provide balanced news or quality entertainment. Now that we have a million networks, that rationale is as dead as the people who suggested it.

But for any Congress-person, the math goes like this: If you push to de-fund PBS, voters who agree with you will be made slightly happy, but that issue won't impact their vote. Those who disagree with you will vote against you for what you are doing. So there is no upside but a definite downside to killing Big Bird. Ain't happening.

Forum List

Back