The Minor Regional Novelist

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
When Larry McMurtry began writing, he had no reason to believe that the dusty plains and grim ranchers that inspired him would capture anyone’s attention. Thirty-two novels, a Pulitzer, and an Oscar later, there’s no question that the author of Lonesome Dove has done more to shape the country’s understanding of Texas than anyone before or since.

I've read similar articles about him, but, this one points out a couple of his books I haven't read.
I'll admit, proudly, I've read Lonesome Dove more times than I can remember. I think it's one of the greatest love stories written.

But ask McMurtry about his writing—why he became a writer in the first place, or what inspires him, or if there’s an underlying meaning to his fiction, or any other such forced attempt at introspection—and he is steadfastly unreflective. “I like making stuff up,” he told me, simply.

The Minor Regional Novelist - Texas Monthly - Pocket

James Garner was my favorite character in Streets of Larado. As Capt. Call he lost a leg and ironically he came close to losing a leg in Korea.

Forum List

Back