The Mind of Franklin Roosevelt

What nonsense.

1. FDR did very little for the Army either with its size or weapons and during the 1930s, his defense budgets were cut to the bone.
  2. To quote George Marshall's words to FDR in May 1940: "If you don't do something...and do it right away, I don't know what is going to happen to this country". FDR had underestimated the Japanese and the Pearl Harbor attack devastated the American Navy and exposed the president's incompetence.
FDR put the limited funds available into developing the weapons that would be used to win the war. The bombers and fighter aircraft used in WWII were developed and aircraft factories tooled for production under the guidance of FDR so that when funds became available production began immediately. The same was done with Navel ships, including the production of the first two modern Essex class carriers. FDR correctly assessed how the coming war would have to be fought years before it began and began a doctrine that is with us to this day. Concentrate and focus on developing the highest tech most advanced weapons possible. That is what he did in the 1930's.
The Pearl Harbor attack did not devastate the American Navy. FDR had once again assessed the situation correctly. Battleships were becoming obsolete with the arrival of the aircraft carrier. The era of aircraft carriers being the dominate force of the seas had arrived. Japanese and German battleships were quickly taken out of action or forced to be hidden because of their weakness against aircraft.
Essex class carriers brought under development and production by FDR continued to serve the US Navy into the 1960's.

You'll say anything to defend him, huh?

Now explain why George Marshall would confront the most powerful man in the world, and insult him with "If you don't do something, and do it right a way....."

You're really a dunce.
Marshall was right....we had a weak military

Roosevelt built him the strongest military on earth

No....private industry built it.
And
What nonsense.

1. FDR did very little for the Army either with its size or weapons and during the 1930s, his defense budgets were cut to the bone.
  2. To quote George Marshall's words to FDR in May 1940: "If you don't do something...and do it right away, I don't know what is going to happen to this country". FDR had underestimated the Japanese and the Pearl Harbor attack devastated the American Navy and exposed the president's incompetence.
FDR put the limited funds available into developing the weapons that would be used to win the war. The bombers and fighter aircraft used in WWII were developed and aircraft factories tooled for production under the guidance of FDR so that when funds became available production began immediately. The same was done with Navel ships, including the production of the first two modern Essex class carriers. FDR correctly assessed how the coming war would have to be fought years before it began and began a doctrine that is with us to this day. Concentrate and focus on developing the highest tech most advanced weapons possible. That is what he did in the 1930's.
The Pearl Harbor attack did not devastate the American Navy. FDR had once again assessed the situation correctly. Battleships were becoming obsolete with the arrival of the aircraft carrier. The era of aircraft carriers being the dominate force of the seas had arrived. Japanese and German battleships were quickly taken out of action or forced to be hidden because of their weakness against aircraft.
Essex class carriers brought under development and production by FDR continued to serve the US Navy into the 1960's.

Now explain why George Marshall would confront the most powerful man in the world, and insult him with "If you don't do something, and do it right a way....."

You're really a dunce.

Consistently wrong, due to both your bias and your lack of education.

Luckily for you, I'm hear.

1. No, not Roosevelt....private industry built said military.....as I showed in post #111

2. Until mid May of 1940 Roosevelt spent his energy attacking capitalism.....then he had to grovel.

Private industry marshaled all the manufacturing resources of the Uniited States and centered it on military production?

No, Roosevelt did that

The war industry in the US in WWII was a masterpiece of central planning. The Federal Government effectively took over private industry.

You're really a dunce.

No....private industry built it.
And

You're really a dunce.

Consistently wrong, due to both your bias and your lack of education.

Luckily for you, I'm hear.

1. No, not Roosevelt....private industry built said military.....as I showed in post #111

2. Until mid May of 1940 Roosevelt spent his energy attacking capitalism.....then he had to grovel.

Private industry marshaled all the manufacturing resources of the Uniited States and centered it on military production?

No, Roosevelt did that

The war industry in the US in WWII was a masterpiece of central planning. The Federal Government effectively took over private industry.
Can you imagine a Republican telling private industry what they could manufacture?

.......nobody was executed

So, concentration camps are OK with you as long as no one is executed? Is that your standard?
Did concentration camps tolerate labor strikes? Did it offer to send those people that wanted to leave the country, transportation back to their home nation? Did concentration camps allow students to go college? Did concentration camps allow its inmates to leave if they had a job offer in another state?

So now we know you're in favor of CONCENTRATION CAMPS. You fit right in democrat tradition. :fu:
How does pointing out that your wrong in your attempt to make the internment camps the same as concentration camps, make me in favor of concentration camps?

I think the right questions, "Did you have family intern in the camps?"

"Did your family lose property and wealth on the Pacific Coast as a result of internment."

"Do you honestly believe that the internment camps were the the same degree as the Germans and Japanese?

The second he won't answer honestly, the trap snaps on his argument. It's over.

PC and ukietardo would have been happier if the US sided with Hitler because that would have saved a few thousand people from the horror of an internment camp vs. Millions condemned to death in Germany.

PC and ukietardo would have been happier if the US sided with Hitler because that would have saved a few thousand people from the horror of an internment camp....

False choice, you dishonest fucking moron.

We know the answers to the questions to Unkie.

You are too biased to give any evidence on the matter of internment camps or WWII.

Step along, Unkie, nothing for you to see here.

FDR was the right man for the right time

Can you imagine where we would have been if Republicans had been allowed to lead us out of the depression or during WWII?

I can; and there's a decent chance we'd be in a much better place; then, there's a chance that big govt. was an inevitability; and we'd be in the same place.
The Republicans had three years to start making some headway and nothing, in fact the deeper we sank. With one FDR's speech the world suddenly looked brighter to Americans than all four years of Hoover with his bootstrap, and prosperity is just around the corner speeches.

I'm sure that's exactly how it went down in your fantasy world.

Can you imagine where we would have been if Republicans had been allowed to lead us out of the depression or during WWII?

I can; and there's a decent chance we'd be in a much better place; then, there's a chance that big govt. was an inevitability; and we'd be in the same place.
The Republicans had three years to start making some headway and nothing, in fact the deeper we sank. With one FDR's speech the world suddenly looked brighter to Americans than all four years of Hoover with his bootstrap, and prosperity is just around the corner speeches.

It was no fantasy world to me and apparently not to the historians that have been rating the presidents since 1948.

It was no fantasy world to me and apparently not to the historians that have been rating the presidents since 1948.

Historians = Benefactors of the machine. They are hardly objective.

Well you may have a point, conservative historians rated FDR third greatest president.

Well you may have a point, conservative historians rated FDR third greatest president.

Why would any conservative rank FDR third? Does that register in the sense column whatsoever with you? If so, I seriously question your mental faculties or would otherwise have to consider you a troll.

Why would any conservative rank FDR third? Does that register in the sense column whatsoever with you? If so, I seriously question your mental faculties or would otherwise have to consider you a troll.
No, that's not how the polls of historians work; I mean they don't generally base their results on "does that make sense" but rather what the historians have voted. The Wall Street Journal also in its 2005 poll rated FDR third best.

No, that's not how the polls of historians work; I mean they don't generally base their results on "does that make sense" but rather what the historians have voted. The Wall Street Journal also in its 2005 poll rated FDR third best.

WSJ may be owned by Robert Murdoch, who caters to a general base that is more conservative. But I would not paint them with such a broad brush as to state that they represent the conservative viewpoint. I assure you that FDR is on the bottom five of conservatives' lists. Do you have any more bologna you want to sell?

Can you imagine the disaster if it was Republicans who had to restructure us into a wartime economy with their states rights and isolationist philosophies?

What nonsense.

People don't seem to know FDR was a Secretary of the Navy in WW I and had a clear vision of what was coming later on.

As is the case with of the other loons in this thread, the Roosevelt groupies, you are totally clueless.

1. He knew what was coming later on????
"FDR did very little for the Army either with its size or weapons and during the 1930s, his defense budgets were cut to the bone....
    1. Due to cuts in military spending through the 30’s as a percentage of the federal budget, the United States was woefully unprepared for war. The US was 17th in the world in military strength, and this ultimately let us into a two-ocean war." Folsom and Folsom, "FDR Goes To War."
Now take notes, fool......

1. Careful students of the Roosevelt presidency knew that war must be near because FDR had decided to change the tone of the political debate in Washington. For almost eight years, Wall Street bankers and corporate leaders had been his favorite scapegoats for explaining why the Great Depression was persisting. The premise of his New Deal, after all was that businessmen had failed and that government should regulate, plan and direct much of the American economy to break the hold of the Great Depression.”

2. On May 16, 1940, Roosevelt had addressed Congress and asked for more than a billion dollars for defense, with a commitment for fifty thousand military aircraft. He knew, also, that he needed the good will of business to win the war: no longer would he call them “privileged princes…thirsting for power.”

3. On May 26, 1940 his Fireside Chat signaled a new relationship with business: he would insure their profits, and assuage their fears that he would nationalize their factories.

a. “…we are calling upon the resources, the efficiency and the ingenuity of the American manufacturers of war material of all kinds -- airplanes and tanks and guns and ships, and all the hundreds of products that go into this material. The Government of the United States itself manufactures few of the implements of war. Private industry will continue to be the source of most of this material, and private industry will have to be speeded up to produce it at the rate and efficiency called for by the needs of the times….Private industry will have the responsibility of providing the best, speediest and most efficient mass production of which it is capable.” On National Defense - May 26 1940

May 16, 1940 was the very first indication that he knew what was coming.

Get it?

He was as clueless as you are.

You do know this is all meaningless coming from you, right?

Can you imagine the disaster if it was Republicans who had to restructure us into a wartime economy with their states rights and isolationist philosophies?

What nonsense.

People don't seem to know FDR was a Secretary of the Navy in WW I and had a clear vision of what was coming later on.

As is the case with of the other loons in this thread, the Roosevelt groupies, you are totally clueless.

"FDR did very little for the Army either with its size or weapons and during the 1930s, his defense budgets were cut to the bone....
    1. Due to cuts in military spending through the 30’s as a percentage of the federal budget, the United States was woefully unprepared for war. The US was 17th in the world in military strength, and this ultimately let us into a two-ocean war." Folsom and Folsom, "FDR Goes To War."

1. Careful students of the Roosevelt presidency knew that war must be near because FDR had decided to change the tone of the political debate in Washington. For almost eight years, Wall Street bankers and corporate leaders had been his favorite scapegoats for explaining why the Great Depression was persisting. The premise of his New Deal, after all was that businessmen had failed and that government should regulate, plan and direct much of the American economy to break the hold of the Great Depression.”

2. On May 16, 1940, Roosevelt had addressed Congress and asked for more than a billion dollars for defense, with a commitment for fifty thousand military aircraft. He knew, also, that he needed the good will of business to win the war: no longer would he call them “privileged princes…thirsting for power.”

3. On May 26, 1940 his Fireside Chat signaled a new relationship with business: he would insure their profits, and assuage their fears that he would nationalize their factories.

a. “…we are calling upon the resources, the efficiency and the ingenuity of the American manufacturers of war material of all kinds -- airplanes and tanks and guns and ships, and all the hundreds of products that go into this material. The Government of the United States itself manufactures few of the implements of war. Private industry will continue to be the source of most of this material, and private industry will have to be speeded up to produce it at the rate and efficiency called for by the needs of the times….Private industry will have the responsibility of providing the best, speediest and most efficient mass production of which it is capable.” On National Defense - May 26 1940

Get it?

PC facts are always right. FDR just didn't notice the Italians invading Ethiopia in 1935, the Japanese invading China in '37, the German's invading Poland in '39 and the Italian's annexing Albania in '39. Somehow those events got past FDR and didn't give FDR any indication that war was coming. His instructions to develop modern fighter aircraft and long range bombers like the B-17 (1934), B-24 (1938) were just lucky guesses by FDR.

What nonsense.

Get it?

PC facts are always right. FDR just didn't notice the Italians invading Ethiopia in 1935, the Japanese invading China in '37, the German's invading Poland in '39 and the Italian's annexing Albania in '39. Somehow those events got past FDR and didn't give FDR any indication that war was coming. His instructions to develop modern fighter aircraft and long range bombers like the B-17 (1934), B-24 (1938) were just lucky guesses by FDR.

Yes, and neither was he aware of things like submarines, international sea lanes, that sort of thing. He was too corrupt and evil to notice anything, he was just intent on destroying America and PC's right to have beer for breakfast and stuff.

What nonsense.

Get it?

Yes, and neither was he aware of things like submarines, international sea lanes, that sort of thing. He was too corrupt and evil to notice anything, he was just intent on destroying America and PC's right to have beer for breakfast and stuff.

Then there was that little thing known as The Manhattan Project

PC and ukietardo would have been happier if the US sided with Hitler because that would have saved a few thousand people from the horror of an internment camp vs. Millions condemned to death in Germany.

I've answered that absurd post earlier, and you ignored it because that is the way Leftists respond to the truth.

What nonsense.

Get it?

You do know this is all meaningless coming from you, right?

No, you moron.
It came from Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Forum List

Back