The Masters, one of the great sports traditions

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
There is something so great about the Masters, the course, the coverage, the history. Maybe also just the familiarity with it always being there in early April. I've never been there, but I told my oldest son that when he graduates from college, we are going.

You may not like golf but do you like money? He made $1.2 million with the win and with a Masters appearance and endorsements sure to follow he became a multi-millionaire today. Kudos to his determination and Trumps' backing and encouragement.

Part of the fascination with the Masters is that the players themselves consider it to be the pinnacle of professional golf. It is a spectacular, challenging course, it has great history, and winning it means that YOU are part of the biggest story in golf, forever. And only "winners" are eligible.

It's like Wimbleton in a way, but it has the added excitement of being somewhat unpredictable, whereas Wimbleton seems always to be won by the best player in the world at the time. Sometimes, someone just gets hot at the right time and wins the Green Jacket.

He will have to win a couple more majors, including another Green Jacket, for people not to define him by this disaster. This one will definitely go down in history as an epic choke.

Anyone else catch the story that he is named after Michael JORDAN? That's what his father said the other day.

While I watch as much of The Masters as I can.

But, it still pales by comparison with The British Open. That is the truest test of the game as it is played on courses with the greatest traditions of the game. Hit the ball where you are supposed to and you have a chance to score well. Be in the rough or the bunkers or the water and you are penalized - as it was meant to be.

Forum List

Back