The Market from Here

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
What I am seeing is eerily reminiscent of 2007. Yeah yeah I know there are significant differences. There always are.
But then there was weakness in subprime mortgage bonds. There was debate as to whether the damage would be contained or not. ANd it wasnt. Because investors are typically diversified so declines in one asset value will cause declines in the others as well, as pressure tosell to maintain cash increases.
This time I am seeing declines in commodities, esp oil and copper. This seems to be the end of the comoodity boom. And once the declines set in, how much longer until other assets experiences similar declines?

You people missed the mark on quantitative easing, so a dip in oil that brings major advantages to the US are detrimental....? These robber barons that have monopolies on the distribution network will never drop their consumer products prices like they do labor....

What I am seeing is eerily reminiscent of 2007. Yeah yeah I know there are significant differences. There always are.
But then there was weakness in subprime mortgage bonds. There was debate as to whether the damage would be contained or not. ANd it wasnt. Because investors are typically diversified so declines in one asset value will cause declines in the others as well, as pressure tosell to maintain cash increases.
This time I am seeing declines in commodities, esp oil and copper. This seems to be the end of the comoodity boom. And once the declines set in, how much longer until other assets experiences similar declines?
My grandfather called this one back when the housing bubble first burst. He said that commodities like oil would be next and he is usually correct about these things.

Stocks go up, and stocks go down. Financial schemes and scams come and go. Some work, some don't. The generally thought, according to some analysis and economists, is that stocks are inflated and over-priced. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. At any rate, stocks and commodities are gambles based on future events and economic conditions. Some guess right, and some guess wrong. Basically, they are money games bases on economic trends and periotic data, which always fluctuated according to global economic conditions and world events. There are commodity speculators, money manipulators, and financial instruments that are not always based on economic health and stability. In other words, no one has a crystal ball into the future of world markets and economic strength of various countries and financial institutions. Speculation based on data and trends is about the best anyone can do. Remember, debt and currency values play an important part due to the co-dependency of one nation to another. Everything is tied together, and considered when considering economic behavior.

Stocks go up, and stocks go down. Financial schemes and scams come and go. Some work, some don't. The generally thought, according to some analysis and economists, is that stocks are inflated and over-priced. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen. At any rate, stocks and commodities are gambles based on future events and economic conditions. Some guess right, and some guess wrong. Basically, they are money games bases on economic trends and periotic data, which always fluctuated according to global economic conditions and world events. There are commodity speculators, money manipulators, and financial instruments that are not always based on economic health and stability. In other words, no one has a crystal ball into the future of world markets and economic strength of various countries and financial institutions. Speculation based on data and trends is about the best anyone can do. Remember, debt and currency values play an important part due to the co-dependency of one nation to another. Everything is tied together, and considered when considering economic behavior.
So your point is that the future is uncertain and prices fluctuate?
Thanks! I had no idea that was the case.

Well, that's generally about all one can say when it comes to stocks, commodities, and their long range outlook. All your post did was to express speculation and possible scenarios. I mean, you're drawing opinions and assumptions based on what happened in the past, and attempting fit that in with your speculation and opinions. So, is what I said any different? If so, in what way(s)? You're doing as everyone else does, speculate and guess what might happen based on what has happened in the past, and assuming a similar trend had developed. Am I correct here? If not, what did I miss when I read your post?

Well, that's generally about all one can say when it comes to stocks, commodities, and their long range outlook. All your post did was to express speculation and possible scenarios. I mean, you're drawing opinions and assumptions based on what happened in the past, and attempting fit that in with your speculation and opinions. So, is what I said any different? If so, in what way(s)? You're doing as everyone else does, speculate and guess what might happen based on what has happened in the past, and assuming a similar trend had developed. Am I correct here? If not, what did I miss when I read your post?
No that is not all one can say. One can comment on whether stocks are fairly valued, over valued or undervalued based on some understanding. One can comment on the business environment going forward based on observed trends. One can say all sorts of things if one has been paying attention, as I have for the last 40 years.
And I did. My belief is:
Stocks are grossly over valued based on historic valuations and other factors.
Commodities are experiencing a bust which is having repercussions across the financial sector
When one asset class experiences a significant drop in value, it tends to spill over to other asset classes.
This really isnt rocket science.

So what have you done with your portfolio? Reduced equities exposure because of high valuations? If so where did you put it?

I see the market was down over 300 points yesterday on weakness in oil, among other factors. Big declines coming as valuations just arent sustainable.

I'm making small gains in bonds waiting for the market to correct a little more. Possibly today I'll venture into stocks. Expect a bounce short term, then back out.

Sitting on cash mostly. That is very difficult, btw and takes lots of discipline.
Since when have you been sitting on cash, and when do you plan to get back into the market?

There were a few posters with this response earlier this year saying fan shittage was imminent, they ended up missing out on a fairly solid 2014 for the US stock market.

I did my rebalance at the beginning of January so I guess I did scrape some chips off the table (apparently just in time) although they mostly went into my intl stock portion since that sucked wind.

Last edited:

I think the decline in commodities is a function of both global supply dynamics and demand from outside of the US. I don't think this is anything like 2007. The US economy is going to continue to strengthen.

However, that doesn't mean stocks can't go down. The market is expensive and QE has ended. Long tern returns from here will be lower than average. I am trading but I don't own a lot of stocks at the moment. I own more stocks in China than I do anywhere else.

Sitting on cash mostly. That is very difficult, btw and takes lots of discipline.
Since when have you been sitting on cash, and when do you plan to get back into the market?

There were a few posters with this response earlier this year saying fan shittage was imminent, they ended up missing out on a fairly solid 2014 for the US stock market.

I did my rebalance at the beginning of January so I guess I did scrape some chips off the table (apparently just in time) although they mostly went into my intl stock portion since that sucked wind.

Judging from all the missing posts somebody was a very bad boy, not my problem. I would like to post on this thread.

Forum List

Back