The Man Who Won't Be President (But Is Worth Backing Anyway)

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Behold: the latest stirrings of the ongoing Gary Johnson boomlet. The former governor of New Mexico (1994-2002) will probably announce his Presidential candidacy early next year. Hence this Daily Caller piece and an article in the New Republic. No-one, alas, expects Johnson's candidacy to fare brilliantly, though theoretically he should be the candidate the Tea Party backs and he already enjoys Ron Paul's blessing.

Paul's success - in fundraising if not traditional campaigning - surprised almost all Beltway journalists back in 2007. In retrospect, however, that's where you find the genesis of at least some parts of the Tea Party movement. Truth be told, Paul, with his goldbuggery, his hostility to a mythical North American Union, his oddball, if at times endearingly goofy, TV manner was not a great pitchman for his brand of conservative-libertarianism. Johnson, by contrast, is a showman.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/alexmass...e-president-but-is-worth-backing-anyway.thtml

Gary Johnson will probably be the only Republican worth voting for in the Republican primaries, and, unless Ron Paul runs, definitely the most principled.

I have been reading about him. I wasn't around when he was governor of New Mexico, but he seems like an ideal choice to me.

Forum List

Back