The little game republicans play

guno

Gold Member
Mar 18, 2014
NYC and NC
"The election of Obama in 2008 was the signal for conservatives to spring the deficit trap. They immediately turned from being deficit lovers into being deficit haters. All of a sudden they claimed that deficits were the number one problem facing government and that we needed to begin drastically cutting domestic spending. Matters were made worse when the severe recession started in 2008. It necessitated large bailouts to key financial institutions and billions in stimulus funds to prevent the economy from sinking into a depression. The recession also dramatically lowered federal tax revenues and made the deficits even worse. All of this played right into the hands of conservatives, who blamed these increased deficits on “out of control government spending.” The only question that remained was how far the Republicans would go in their proposals to dramatically reduce government. It turned out they wanted to go farther than most Americans would have imagined."

Tax Cuts And 'Starving The Beast' - Forbes

And when Democrats weren't in control of the white house, it was all about deficits.

"Today I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited by half by the end of my first term in office," Obama said. "Now, this will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay, and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

You think Democrats do not play that very same game?

:lmao:

Rubes. They are born everyday.

• Banned
Dick Cheney: You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due.:eusa_whistle:

• Banned
Dick Cheney: You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter. We won the mid-term elections, this is our due.:eusa_whistle:

Republican deficit cutting rhetoric

it's still the words of Dick Cheney who, as vice president, famously declared: "Deficits don't matter." A more candid statement might have been: "Deficits don't matter when it's Republicans who are racking them up."

And when Democrats weren't in control of the white house, it was all about deficits.

"Today I'm pledging to cut the deficit we inherited by half by the end of my first term in office," Obama said. "Now, this will not be easy. It will require us to make difficult decisions and face challenges we've long neglected. But I refuse to leave our children with a debt that they cannot repay, and that means taking responsibility right now, in this administration, for getting our spending under control."

You think Democrats do not play that very same game?

:lmao:

Rubes. They are born everyday.

Didn't "candidate" Obama call them "unpatriotic"? Then when he became president Obama, he never met a deficit he didn't love.

Last edited:
Trying to reduce deficits during an economic recession is insanity

Republicans were successful in throwing on the brakes in an economic recovery and then complaining that it was taking too long

Forum List

Back