The Little College Where Tuition Is Free and Every Student Is Given a Job

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
d3b1460f3.jpg

Students at Berea in 1899. (Library of Congress) Co-educational and racially integrated.

Berea College, in Kentucky, has paid for every enrollee’s education using its endowment for 126 years.

I’ve never heard of this place but the story is amazing. 1,600 to 1,700 students that study for BA degrees in 32 majors. All working at a variety of jobs and ending up their four years with small debts, usually for things such as food and living accommodations.

A large number of students come from Appalachia.

I strongly recommend you read about this college
@ Berea College - Wikipedia and The Little College Where Tuition Is Free and Every Student Is Given a Job

It will make you smile – and wonder why other colleges can’t do the same.

d3b1460f3.jpg

Students at Berea in 1899. (Library of Congress) Co-educational and racially integrated.

Berea College, in Kentucky, has paid for every enrollee’s education using its endowment for 126 years.

I’ve never heard of this place but the story is amazing. 1,600 to 1,700 students that study for BA degrees in 32 majors. All working at a variety of jobs and ending up their four years with small debts, usually for things such as food and living accommodations.

A large number of students come from Appalachia.

I strongly recommend you read about this college
@ Berea College - Wikipedia and The Little College Where Tuition Is Free and Every Student Is Given a Job

It will make you smile – and wonder why other colleges can’t do the same.
It's good to hear some GOOD news for a change, longknife. Thank you!

They still do it today... but there are conditions to it. You can't have more than two years of college credits already, and you better be ready to be around A LOT of VERY liberal people.

I drive through Berea three days a week.

They still do it today... but there are conditions to it. You can't have more than two years of college credits already, and you better be ready to be around A LOT of VERY liberal people.

Why do you say "very liberal people?" It seems to be a very conservative college with conservative ideals.

Why do you say "very liberal people?" It seems to be a very conservative college with conservative ideals.

Not at all. It's obvious you've never been there. Berea is a VERY liberal city and college best known for its liberal arts degrees.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back