ROTC

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
So, I’m teaching in a (very) urban school district, and there are some things some of y’all might find surprising.

For one, the large number of kids in the JrROTC. It’s amazing and admirable the effect it has on most young people who commit to it.

When I was in High School ages ago in Honolulu, most of the High Schools had Army JROTC. Haven't seen it in very many schools here on the mainland. IIRC only a couple schools in the greater Portland metro area have some form of JROTC. I agree that it is a good thing. Instilling some respect and discipline in youth is a positive thing.

So, I’m teaching in a (very) urban school district, and there are some things some of y’all might find surprising.

For one, the large number of kids in the JrROTC. It’s amazing and admirable the effect it has on most young people who commit to it.
Because college is so expensive...JrROTC kids have a leg up on college ROTC which partially pays for college.

Well over half of the kids I am talking about have no plan to attend college.

During the Great Depression I joined because they issued warm uniforms.

Because college is so expensive...JrROTC kids have a leg up on college ROTC which partially pays for college.

That is not entirely true. An Army ROTC college scholarship pays for ALL of college. My youngest daughter received an Army ROTC scholarship in 2012 and graduated in 2016. She graduated from college debt free, with money in the bank.

(Jr) ROTC - I would presume - teaches military customs, deportment, traditions, and leadership. It teaches the importance of FOLLOWING ORDERS. It teaches that there are times in life when the SELF must be subordinated to the COLLECTIVE.

Boy Scouts teaches all of these things in a way that also provides a dose of "fun." Remove the "fun," and you have Jr. ROTC.

Any good FATHER would want his kid in a program like this. Mothers? Not so much.

Inner city (many fatherless) kids signing up for this? Fan-fucking-tastic.

(Jr) ROTC - I would presume - teaches military customs, deportment, traditions, and leadership. It teaches the importance of FOLLOWING ORDERS. It teaches that there are times in life when the SELF must be subordinated to the COLLECTIVE.

Boy Scouts teaches all of these things in a way that also provides a dose of "fun." Remove the "fun," and you have Jr. ROTC.

Any good FATHER would want his kid in a program like this. Mothers? Not so much.

You need to redefine your idea of fun. Some of my best times were in JROTC and my daughter likely feels the same.

I had lots of fun in JROTC. I was on a rifle team - we shot .22 rifles on a 50 foot range doing 3 and 4 position matches. We also did some field trips to a local Army base where we got to shoot M-16's on the range, learned to rappel, run an obstacle course, get treated to Army chow from a field kitchen. Hella fun for a teenage kid.

Obviously, "fun" can be defined by those who experience it. I think it's fun to read long, tedious commercial contracts.

But I was referring to things that are "fun" for the purpose of "fun." When Boy Scouts go on an overnight camping trip, the purpose os 80% having a good time and 20% pedagogical. When an ROTC unit goes out on a bivouac the purpose is 80% pedagogical, and if you have some "fun" firing your rifle, that's a bonus.

Obviously, "fun" can be defined by those who experience it. I think it's fun to read long, tedious commercial contracts.

But I was referring to things that are "fun" for the purpose of "fun." When Boy Scouts go on an overnight camping trip, the purpose os 80% having a good time and 20% pedagogical. When an ROTC unit goes out on a bivouac the purpose is 80% pedagogical, and if you have some "fun" firing your rifle, that's a bonus.

No offense, but I don't think you understand how ROTC works.

My son went to public High School for his last four years education, before heading off to college, he was in the AFJROTC.

Good program. I see good things happening in terms of how kids are carrying themselves in those programs.

Can't speak for the Army, though, except to avoid it. That's just my two cents, though. Air Force is where it's at, if there's any actual interest in joing the service. Of course, that requires a fundamental grasp of Math and the basic sciences, so that's something else, not sure most schools are getting the job done in the math department.

Forum List

Back