The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

mom4 said:
Saw this movie today, and absolutely loved it. I thought the imagery was great. It stuck very close to the book, which I appreciated. I actually choked up during certain parts. We'll be buying this. I hope they do all the sequels. I found Lewis' vision of Heaven in The Last Battle to be fascinating.

Well, a week before the movie came out, I heard they had a writer for Prince Caspian, but that they weren't going to commit until they saw how well the first movie did. Considering the massive amount of money being made off the first one, I'd be willing to be he's at least halfway through the thing by now.

Hobbit said:
Well, a week before the movie came out, I heard they had a writer for Prince Caspian, but that they weren't going to commit until they saw how well the first movie did. Considering the massive amount of money being made off the first one, I'd be willing to be he's at least halfway through the thing by now.
They aren't doing The Horse and His Boy? Ah well, Prince Caspian was better, IMO. But I want them ALL! :D

mom4 said:
They aren't doing The Horse and His Boy? Ah well, Prince Caspian was better, IMO. But I want them ALL! :D

Go find a boxed set made before these idiot publishers decided to change the order. In the original order, the order in which they were written (and the order Disney's using, thank goodness), The Horse and His Boy is book 5. The Magician's Nephew was book 6. The rest of them were in the same order they're in now, and I'm still really ticked at the publisher for changing the order. I mean, if you were showing somebody Star Wars for the first time, which of the two trilogies would you watch first? Would you get them to watch it in the original order or would you watch it in chronological order, thus completely eliminatin the surprise that Darth Vader is Luke's father. It's called a prequal people. It means that it is to be read/watched after this other story, even though the events in this "prequal" happen before the events in the original story, and, in my opinion, putting The Magician's Nephew as book 1 instead of book 6 takes a lot away from the character of Digory Kirk, since you were supposed to think he was kooky and wierd the first tim you read the first book, rather than know exactly what he's talking about.

I saw this move this weekend -

Thoughts:

• I'd like to make a theatre with NO popcorn allowed. I can't begin to express to an appropriate degree how annoying the 'smack, crunch, chomp, rattle, gulp' of people eating popcorn can be. It's as if Every other person had microphones attached to their mouths, and were pointing the sound waves of their lip-smacking in my direction. Unbearable. I nearly left.
  • I'd like to make a theatre where NO CHILDREN are allowed. Yes, I know those exist, but I'm not talking smut films. Having kids playing with straws-in-plastic-lids (You may know that plastic-on-plastic rubbing sound) nearly ruined the movie. Also, having mid-teens making smart-ass comments during pivotal scenes nearly ruined the movie. Did I mention how LOUDLY kids eat popcorn, too? :(
  • Watching the movie made me feel as though I were skimming the book. The reason why Edmond liked the Turkish Delight? It was magical - the witch had him under a spell of sorts. The Drink he consumed? Hot Chocolate. But it wasn't 'just' hot Chocolate - it was conjured, and wonderful like warm silk passing down Edmond's throat. I missed the 'details' to some extent. That said (written?), I loved seeing the looks on the eyes of the kids as they went thru the adventure. I enjoyed the acting and writing - everything seemed as plausible as can be within the context of the story.
  • Animations were fantastic. Aslan looked amazing.
I'd pay full price for this movie - even though we saw it at a matinee.

:)

dmp said:
I saw this move this weekend -

Thoughts:

• I'd like to make a theatre with NO popcorn allowed. I can't begin to express to an appropriate degree how annoying the 'smack, crunch, chomp, rattle, gulp' of people eating popcorn can be. It's as if Every other person had microphones attached to their mouths, and were pointing the sound waves of their lip-smacking in my direction. Unbearable. I nearly left.
  • I'd like to make a theatre where NO CHILDREN are allowed. Yes, I know those exist, but I'm not talking smut films. Having kids playing with straws-in-plastic-lids (You may know that plastic-on-plastic rubbing sound) nearly ruined the movie. Also, having mid-teens making smart-ass comments during pivotal scenes nearly ruined the movie. Did I mention how LOUDLY kids eat popcorn, too? :(
  • Watching the movie made me feel as though I were skimming the book. The reason why Edmond liked the Turkish Delight? It was magical - the witch had him under a spell of sorts. The Drink he consumed? Hot Chocolate. But it wasn't 'just' hot Chocolate - it was conjured, and wonderful like warm silk passing down Edmond's throat. I missed the 'details' to some extent. That said (written?), I loved seeing the looks on the eyes of the kids as they went thru the adventure. I enjoyed the acting and writing - everything seemed as plausible as can be within the context of the story.
  • Animations were fantastic. Aslan looked amazing.
I'd pay full price for this movie - even though we saw it at a matinee.

:)

You already know my reasons for disliking this smarmy pile of crap. I'm not too worried about the ~$20 it cost me to watch it. However, I do wish I could get that 2+ hours of my life back.

Do you think I'd like the books better?

misterblu said:
You already know my reasons for disliking this smarmy pile of crap. I'm not too worried about the ~$20 it cost me to watch it. However, I do wish I could get that 2+ hours of my life back.

Do you think I'd like the books better?

I do? I don't recall your reasons for not liking the movie.

dmp said:
I do? I don't recall your reasons for not liking the movie.

HA! :wine: :beer: :cheers2:

You being serious? We had a 5-10 minute conversation about it. You need to cut back Drinky McDrinkster. :alco:

The movie was not good enough to suspend my disbelief. I spent the entire movie watching it move from one insipid, sappy, scene to another. I was just waiting for the stupidity of it all to end. I would have left after Santa Claus showed up if I hadn't been there with friends who were enjoying it.

The characters and plot weren't well developed. I had no idea how the kids became so attached to Aslan having only been in a few scenes with him. If I have to read the books to 'know' the characters, you've made a crappy movie.

I found the animation to be barely passable. I could almost see the blue screen behind the actors in many scenes. This goes back to the suspension of disbelief.

In short: I wouldn't watch it again if you paid me to. Ok, maybe for $30 or $40 an hour but I wouldn't guarantee that I'd stay awake.

misterblu said:
HA! :wine: :beer: :cheers2:

You being serious? We had a 5-10 minute conversation about it. You need to cut back Drinky McDrinkster. :alco:

The movie was not good enough to suspend my disbelief. I spent the entire movie watching it move from one insipid, sappy, scene to another. I was just waiting for the stupidity of it all to end. I would have left after Santa Claus showed up if I hadn't been there with friends who were enjoying it.

The characters and plot weren't well developed. I had no idea how the kids became so attached to Aslan having only been in a few scenes with him. If I have to read the books to 'know' the characters, you've made a crappy movie.

I found the animation to be barely passable. I could almost see the blue screen behind the actors in many scenes. This goes back to the suspension of disbelief.

In short: I wouldn't watch it again if you paid me to. Ok, maybe for $30 or $40 an hour but I wouldn't guarantee that I'd stay awake.

:D

:alco:

The books would help you w/ the Aslan thing. Being in Alsan's presence was as if standing before Christ himself. In the text you can easily establish how the kids were drawn to Aslan - the movie sorta paints him as 'just a talking lion' - but the book...the book makes you 'get it'. Er, made 'me' get-it, I suppose.

dmp said:

:alco:

The books would help you w/ the Aslan thing. Being in Alsan's presence was as if standing before Christ himself. In the text you can easily establish how the kids were drawn to Aslan - the movie sorta paints him as 'just a talking lion' - but the book...the book makes you 'get it'. Er, made 'me' get-it, I suppose.
Yeah, I did think they could have done more to emphasize the deity of Aslan, like maybe some holy lighting around him or something.

mom4 said:
Yeah, I did think they could have done more to emphasize the deity of Aslan, like maybe some holy lighting around him or something.

That or get the kids to talk about it...to see more 'goosebump' feeilngs? I dunno. May be difficult to show, visually, but whatever Mel Gibson did in The Passion sure worked.

Drinky McDrinkster said:

misterblu said:
If I have to read the books to 'know' the characters, you've made a crappy movie.

Here we go!

'Prince Caspian' to be Second 'Narnia' Movie

Andrew Adamson, director of "The Chronicles of Narnia: The
Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," confirmed the second
movie in the series will begin filming in the fall, The
Guardian reported.

The child stars from the first will also play in "Prince
Caspian," Adamson said. "If we don't make it now, we'll
never be able to, because they'll be too old."

(from CitizenLink)

I know it's an old thread, but I must come on to say that if you like the movie, the additional $10 for the special edition DVD is well worth it. There's 2 audio commentary tracks (listening to Lucy talk about her "pottymouth bucket" is hilarious), and a visual "pop-up" option that's similar to watching "Pop-Up Video" for 2 hours, though not with the same density (seemed to average 1 popup per 3-5 minutes). The main disc also has a blooper reel. I haven't broken into the second disc yet, but it boasts 10 hours of special features.

Forum List

Back