The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
I can't remember if there's a thread somewhere on this already, but if so, it's sunk to the back pages. Anyway, this looks to be a great movie. The effects are being done by Weta (Now the ILM of fantasy). I also purchased the video game today (EXTREMELY well polished for a movie game), and judging from the stuff shown in the clips, it stays pretty close to the book, which is one of my favorites of all time. I really hope this movie's BIG so they'll make all seven. Oh, and the first person to "point out" that this is the "second" book in the series, ask yourself, "Is 'A New Hope' the fourth movie in the Star Wars series?"

LOL... My husband had the "second book" question. Had to explain the concept of the prequel to him!

I cannot wait for this to come out. Big fan of Narnia. We will definitely go see it.

mom4 said:
LOL... My husband had the "second book" question. Had to explain the concept of the prequel to him!

I cannot wait for this to come out. Big fan of Narnia. We will definitely go see it.

Yeah, the new publisher for the Narnia books re-ordered them by the fictional timeline (The Magician's Nephew first, The Horse and His Boy third), but it looks like Disney is going to stick to the original order.

padisha emperor said:
seems to be nice books, but the title make me really laugh...
next book : the badger, the troll and the exorcised water-closet... :D

It makes sense once you read the book, and most of the other titles don't seem so wierd. Here they are, in order (the REAL order, the one they were written in).

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Prince Capsian
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
The Silver Chair
The Horse and His Boy (some animals in Narnia are intelligent)
The Magician's Nephew
The Last Battle

padisha emperor said:
Ok, Hobbit ;)

I didn't say that to bash the book, be sure of it ;)

I know. It's one of my favorite books of all time and I would have been pretty retaliatory if I thought you were bashing it. I admit that my first reaction when I heard the title was, "What's a wardrobe?"

This just in: I checked IMDB, and Liam Neeson is doing the voice of Aslan (the lion), and Tilda Swinton (Gabriel, from Constantine) is playing Jadis (the witch). The wardrobe will be playing itself.

Time to drag up this thread for my official review. As people on this board typically seek information on the values inherant in a movie along with its actual value as a movie, I'll be posting both, but seperately.

Value as a movie review:

This movie is awesome. It's like "Lord of the Rings" for a younger audience. It's quite a fascinating story about 4 siblings thrust into a conflict that they don't think they're prepared for. One moment, they're bored out of their skulls from being stuck in a mansion with a cranky woman and a reclusive professor (to escape the horror of WWII London). The next, they're the objects of a prophecy to end the tyranny of a powerful witch and the century long winter she has created in a world where fantasy creatures are real and the animals can talk. While the overall conflict may be strange and fantastic, there's more suble tone to it as well. The four of them have the same problems that any group of siblings has with each other, and must overcome them in order to defeat the witch. Not to mention the fact that they must go to war, the very thing they were trying to avoid, to do so. All in all, it's a classic story of good versus evil that's clean enough for your children to enjoy, and the heavy, epic plot is often relieved with a bit of light humor. Be warned, though, it's PG for a reason, and some parts of the movie will scare small children (stupid people couldn't keep their 3 year olds quite anytime something scary happened). As just a movie, it gets a 9.5/10.

Values review:

This is a great movie for families. The values are finely in tune with the ones expressed by C.S. Lewis in the original book. For the kids, it stresses the value of family and getting along with your siblings. Throughout much of the movie, sibling rivalry and blame-throwing get in the way of what the kids are desperately trying to accomplish. First, the younger brother's (Edmund's) contempt for the "childishness" of his younger sister (Lucy) pushes her away from him, especially when he lies about having been to Narnia. This incident also causes the older siblings to question her honesty and even her sanity. Later, their constant disagreements get in the way of acting in the direction they need to go, towards victory for Narnia. For the adults, there's a valuable message about both the ugliness and necessity of war, as the children are constantly reminded that war is an ugly business, thus the whole reason they left London, yet at the same time, they must reluctantly accept that it is the only way to free Narnia from the witch. As Father Christmas said of Peter's sword and shield, "These are tools, not toys, and the time to use them may be near at hand." He also told the two girls that, though they were given weapons, they should not fight in the battle. For everyone, there's the common values of personal sacrifice, aiding others, and battling evil. For values, it gets a 10/10.

Hobbit said:
Value as a movie review:

This movie is awesome. It's like "Lord of the Rings" for a younger audience.
I'm not a big fan of LOTR. Actually, can hardly stand it. I'm going to go see this later today with my teenage boys. They're really looking forward to it. Me, I was hoping it wouldn't be another LOTR. I hope I like it better.

I haven't read any of the books.

Just got back from seeing it. I thought it was good. A little slow at first, but an enjoyable movie overall.

I can watch this movie again - which is something I can't say about any of the LOTR movies.

Saw this movie today, and absolutely loved it. I thought the imagery was great. It stuck very close to the book, which I appreciated. I actually choked up during certain parts. We'll be buying this. I hope they do all the sequels. I found Lewis' vision of Heaven in The Last Battle to be fascinating.

Forum List

Back