The Lincoln Highway...

It seems they can't quite make up their minds where much of it it is or was today except for US50 across Nevada, the loneliest road in America which follows the old pony express route. It has been one of my favorite drives for a long time. Given the chance I'll choose it over the I80 the Eisenhower highway every time.
Some folks I traveled with we called "purest" who insisted on traveling on original roads or routes. They used old maps obtained from map collectors (yes, there are map collectors) and carefully planned the routes from day to day or week to week. I think some had planned the trips before we left Pennsylvania. You have to really enjoy history and scenic roads, small towns, and cruising 45mph. On the plus side, plenty of cool rest stops, and lots of them.
I always choose the backroads in lieu of freeways and interstates. That way the trip is often more than half the fun. There's much more to see and time to see it.

The only time I take the interstate is when I've already seen everything there is to see on the backroads to my destination.
It seems to me there is always something that you haven't seen before. You just have up to be looking for it.

In some cases maybe.
But when I go to the lake I wanna get there quickly and on the most direct route.
The truck sucks to much gas when towing the SxS to make sight seeing a viable prospect.

Forum List

Back