The Left's Historical Obsession With Jews and Israel.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
First, let's get some old chestnuts out of the way:
  • I don't believe that the terms “antisemitism” and “anti-Zionism” are synonyms.
  • I don't believe that anti-Zionism is the same as Jew-hatred.
  • I don't believe that every single anti-Zionist is a Jew-hater
  • And I don't believe that every single criticism of Israel is inspired by Jew-hatred.
This is what I do believe:

Very many (though not all) anti-Zionists and critics of Israel are indeed Jew-haters; though there's no necessary political or conceptual link between anti-Zionism (or the criticism of Israel) and Jew-hatred. What often happens is that very many people who have a problem with Jews are drawn to anti-Zionism and become obsessed with Israel.

Thus, anti-Zionism and the obsession with Israel are examples of Jew-hatred by proxy. So there are, indeed, very strong historical, theoretical, and political links (all contingent, sure) between anti-Zionism (or the criticism of Israel) and Jew-hatred. One of those links I will discuss here: the history of Far Left Jew-hatred.

The Left's Historical Obsession With Jews and Israel

I agree with your theory. Anti-Israel antisemitism can be identified by the following definition:

The "three Ds" test or the 3D test of antisemitism is a set of criteria put forth by Israeli politician Natan Sharansky[1] to distinguish legitimate criticism of Israel from antisemitism. The three Ds stand for Delegitimization of Israel, Demonization of Israel, and subjecting Israel to Double standards, each of which, according to the test, indicates antisemitism.[2][3] It was published in the Jewish Political Studies Review in 2004.[4] The test is intended to draw the line between legitimate criticism towards the State of Israel, its actions and policies, and non-legitimate criticism that becomes antisemitic.[5]

The 3D test of antisemitism intends to rebut arguments which say that "any criticism toward the State of Israel is considered antisemitic, and therefore legitimate criticism is silenced and ignored".[6] This test was adopted by the U.S. Department of State in 2010,[2] and replaced by the Working Definition of Antisemitism in 2017.[7]
3D test of antisemitism - Wikipedia

Antisemites on both the left and the right can be identified by a rabid hatred for Israel, they use the term zionist as if it were a curse word and their emotions often give them away. They do not criticize any other country as much as they criticise Israel.

• I don't believe that the terms “antisemitism” and “anti-Zionism” are synonyms.
  • And I don't believe that every single criticism of Israel is inspired by Jew-hatred.

Very many (though not all) anti-Zionists and critics of Israel are indeed Jew-haters; though there's no necessary political or conceptual link between anti-Zionism (or the criticism of Israel) and Jew-hatred. What often happens is that very many people who have a problem with Jews are drawn to anti-Zionism and become obsessed with Israel.

Thus, anti-Zionism and the obsession with Israel are examples of Jew-hatred by proxy. So there are, indeed, very strong historical, theoretical, and political links (all contingent, sure) between anti-Zionism (or the criticism of Israel) and Jew-hatred. One of those links I will discuss here: the history of Far Left Jew-hatred.

So, if I hate the US's policies apparently I'm anti-American.
If I hate the UK's policies I'm anti-British.
If I hate the Germany's policies I'm anti-German.

But for some reason if I hate the Israeli's policies I'm anti-Semitic.

• Banned

You didn't read the article then?

This book tells the story of how american Jews "failed" the test put forth by Sharanski in regard to Apartheid South Africa:

Nations Divided
American Jews and the Struggle over Apartheid

9781137029706.jpg

The anti-apartheid struggle remains one of the most fraught episodes in the history of modern Jewish identity. Just as many American Jews proudly fought for principles of justice and liberation in the Civil Rights Movement, so too did they give invaluable support to the movement for racial equality in South Africa.

Nations Divided - American Jews and the Struggle over Apartheid | M. Feld | Palgrave Macmillan

In 1950, you already had jewish individuals and organizations protesting against apartheid in South Africa... almost 3 decades before they were joined by other americans.

American Jews "demonized" Apartheid South Africa.

American Jews "delegitimized" Apartheid South Africa.

American Jews applied "double standards" to Apartheid South Africa in the sense that they did not spend one second trying to delegitimize the african dictatorships in Zaire, Angola and Guine-Bissau all of them involved in bloody civil wars and responsible for massive human rights abuses.

Maybe Mr. Sharansky should accuse american Jews of "racism" towards Afrikaners too.

You didn't read the article and aren't understanding when criticism isn't criticism but anti-semitism.

Last edited:
This book tells the story of how american Jews "failed" the test put forth by Sharanski in regard to Apartheid South Africa:

Nations Divided
American Jews and the Struggle over Apartheid

9781137029706.jpg

The anti-apartheid struggle remains one of the most fraught episodes in the history of modern Jewish identity. Just as many American Jews proudly fought for principles of justice and liberation in the Civil Rights Movement, so too did they give invaluable support to the movement for racial equality in South Africa.

Nations Divided - American Jews and the Struggle over Apartheid | M. Feld | Palgrave Macmillan

In 1950, you already had jewish individuals and organizations protesting against apartheid in South Africa... almost 3 decades before they were joined by other americans.

American Jews "demonized" Apartheid South Africa.

American Jews "delegitimized" Apartheid South Africa.

American Jews applied "double standards" to Apartheid South Africa in the sense that they did not spend one second trying to delegitimize the african dictatorships in Zaire, Angola and Guine-Bissau all of them involved in bloody civil wars and responsible for massive human rights abuses.

Maybe Mr. Sharansky should accuse american Jews of "racism" towards Afrikaners too.
This is a thread about Israel, not American Jews and their relationship to South Africa. Come back when you have something to contribute.

• Banned

You didn't read the article and aren't understanding when criticism isn't criticism but anti-semitism.

Either wilfully obtuse, or genuinely thick.

Originally posted by linkiloo
This is a thread about Israel, not American Jews and their relationship to South Africa. Come back when you have something to contribute.

Nah....

I understand the "argument" perfectly well:

The so-called american and european "leftists" are "anti-semites" when they focus on Israel and ignore Syria and Saudi Arabia but Jews were not "anti-white" when they spent 4 decades focusing on Apartheid South Africa without saying a word about dozens of african dictatorships and civil wars.

Originally posted by linkiloo

Nah....

I understand the "argument" perfectly well:

The so-called american and european "leftists" are "anti-semites" when they focus on Israel and ignore Syria and Saudi Arabia but Jews were not "anti-white" when they spent 4 decades focusing on Apartheid South Africa without saying a word about dozens of african dictatorships and civil wars.

So you've twisted the narrative?

Not interested in South Africa on this thread.

Lets get started shall we.

"Far Left (or, more specifically, Marxist) Jew-Hatred dates back to 1844 when Karl Marx first expressed his hatred of Jews in print. Marx (like Gilad Atzmon, Noam Chomsky, Tony Cliff, Ilan Pappé, Norman Finkelstein, Shlomo Sand, etc.) was only Jewish by blood: not by religion or by culture. In fact not even Marx's father was a Jew by religion. So, Jew-hatred came easy to Marx."

I thought all female determine if you are a jew or not?? Is that no longer the case??

Is Jew a religion, a culture or a race, you just can't have all 3!!

Lets get started shall we.

"Far Left (or, more specifically, Marxist) Jew-Hatred dates back to 1844 when Karl Marx first expressed his hatred of Jews in print. Marx (like Gilad Atzmon, Noam Chomsky, Tony Cliff, Ilan Pappé, Norman Finkelstein, Shlomo Sand, etc.) was only Jewish by blood: not by religion or by culture. In fact not even Marx's father was a Jew by religion. So, Jew-hatred came easy to Marx."

I thought all female determine if you are a jew or not?? Is that no longer the case??

Is Jew a religion, a culture or a race, you just can't have all 3!!

Let's not get started. With you.

And who gets to decide when it's anti-Semitism?

The reality is that even on a forum like this there are people who use the term "anti-Semite" for ANYONE who criticizes Israel.

So.....

The left is evil. Evil is that which goes against God's will. Naturally, as God supports Israel, the Godless, evil, left opposes Israel.

Paul Austin Murphy ("PAM") is a very small-time and ultra-bitchy British blogger associated with the political hard-right who has apparent delusions of becoming England's answer to Daniel Pipes. His favorite subjects appear to be the following: how virtually all Muslims want to establish a totalitarian state, how far-leftists are actually influential and want to do the same, and how they're working together to accomplish this. Apart from his own blog he also writes for the American Thinker and Counter-Jihad.
Paul Austin Murphy - RationalWiki

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

And who gets to decide when it's anti-Semitism?

The reality is that even on a forum like this there are people who use the term "anti-Semite" for ANYONE who criticizes Israel.

So.....

In other words, you have nothing to say.

Isn't the Left supposed to be anti-religious?

Left vs Right, Liberal vs Conservative have lost their meanings, people are willing to affiliate with any fundamentalist religious fractions, that are in complete opposition to Liberal values, as long as they hold the banner:

DqwH4oLWkAAY2TW.jpg

"Palestinian Liberal Movement organizes a workshop entitled "The Palestinian reality between the call of the factions and the repercussions of the separatist council", with the participation of Islamic Jihad and the Popular Front and the Democratic Front and the movement of the Mujahideen."
وكالة الرأي on Twitter

The left is evil. Evil is that which goes against God's will. Naturally, as God supports Israel, the Godless, evil, left opposes Israel.

God supports Israel, he might prefer a more holy place , I mean Tel Aviv is the gay place to be , abortion is paid for by the government.

I do not believe a country should be run like a theocracy though. I do not like Evans who push religion down people's throats, yet are the real amoral ones.

Forum List

Back