The Lazy Poor

When we were just starting out, there was a lot of times all we had was pinto beans with a little ground beef in them--both were very cheap back then. Maybe a side of fried potatoes and home grown fruit or something out of the garden. We have made do with nothing but oatmeal to eat for a day. That was also very cheap. But we didn't go hungry. And though by today's standards we were dirt poor, we didn't feel like it. Nobody told us, but we just instinctively knew that we were paying our dues in our entry level jobs and things would get better.

And the day came when we were able to afford a small used black and white TV and things like pork chops and chicken became common on our dinner table. We felt very rich indeed then.

Now kids expect to start out with as much as we had after working for 25 years. And the definition of poverty is very different now than it was when we started out.

I'm almost 56 and one of my favorite meals still is pinto beans and fried potatoes. I grew up on them. Throw in some cornbread and that's some mighty fine eating right there! :eusa_drool:

Except that now it that kind of fare is redneck gourmet food. The days of 15 cents per pound pinto beans, 10 cents per pound potatoes, and 25 cents per pound ground beef are long gone. And you can't buy a watermelon for little or nothing anymore either.

Unless you live where they're grown.

Potatoes and beans are still the cheapest food. Regular round beef, nuh uh, no way, it's ridiculous and I just don't like paying that much for what I know is garbage meat.

Pork is still pretty cheap and chicken, if you watch for sales. Turkey is likewise cheap if you look for sales. Ground turkey is pretty cheap, I think but I don't use it. I would if I absolutely had to, particularly as a filler for things like spaghetti and meat loaf and stuff.

We depend on beans at my house still. The kids will eat them, they're relatively cheap, and when I make homemade rolls with them, the kids grub.

I don't know about most Christians, but this Christian wants people to educate themselves and prepare themselves to support a family and get married to a responsible person BEFORE they have kids.

I don't know about most Christians, but as much as possible, this Christian wants kids to grow up in a home with role models of a mom and dad who teach positive values including education and who promote personal accountability, responsibility, and push their kids to accomplish their potential.

I don't know about most Christians, but I want kids growing up watching a least one parent get up and get cleaned up and properly dress every morning and going out to work for a paycheck.

I don't know about most Christians, but I don't want kids growing up watching their parent live fairly adequately via government charity and seeing that as an option rather than doing the hard job of educating themselves, learning a trade, and working for a living.

I don't know about most Christians, but I think if parents aren't willing to feed, clothe, educate, and love their kids, those kids should be placed with people who are willing to do that for them. This is what the general rule should be across the board. The inevitable anecdotal exception should not be the catalyst for making policy for the whole.

Sure I understand your points of view. I just don't think Jesus would condemn anyone who made a mistake and found themselves wanting to keep there child ad not abort but temporarily need to seek assistance and help with there child.

I think most christians I know would prefer a person to abstain from sex get married and support their family and pay their own way without ever needing help, seems reasonable.

That said, I also believe in compassion and mercy, and I think temporary help is fine.

So give temporary help out of your own pocket like everybody else does who feels compassion. Compassion is not shrugging off your personal responsibility by allowing government to do it much more poorly, at much greater cost, and creating more poverty along the way.

Jesus had the harshest criticism for anybody who would cause a child to stumble or who would bring harm to a child. Parents who bring children into the world that they are unwilling to support do that. As does a government that not only implements policy making it much harder for society to produce jobs for all, but actually discourages people from trying to support themselves.

Jesus scorned the money changers too.

There is nothing wrong with helping anyone temporarily, and I do.

I support temporary programs to help people who have no one else to help them.

We have enough resources in the world where nobody should have to go without for any reason.

Sure I understand your points of view. I just don't think Jesus would condemn anyone who made a mistake and found themselves wanting to keep there child ad not abort but temporarily need to seek assistance and help with there child.

I think most christians I know would prefer a person to abstain from sex get married and support their family and pay their own way without ever needing help, seems reasonable.

That said, I also believe in compassion and mercy, and I think temporary help is fine.

So give temporary help out of your own pocket like everybody else does who feels compassion. Compassion is not shrugging off your personal responsibility by allowing government to do it much more poorly, at much greater cost, and creating more poverty along the way.

Jesus had the harshest criticism for anybody who would cause a child to stumble or who would bring harm to a child. Parents who bring children into the world that they are unwilling to support do that. As does a government that not only implements policy making it much harder for society to produce jobs for all, but actually discourages people from trying to support themselves.

We have enough resources in the world where nobody should have to go without for any reason.

Tell that to the government who wants to take from one person against their will and give it to another they determine deserves it. And they want to create a dependent class from cradle to grave.

Tell that to the government who wants to take from one person against their will and give it to another they determine deserves it. And they want to create a dependent class from cradle to grave.

I don't have to because the government agrees with me and so do the majority of people who elected those to govern the choices of how money is spent. :cool:

Yup, the grasping, greedy, lazy, criminal, dysfunctional poor.

They are the darlings of the left for just that reason. You can get a lot done if you're willing to pay for votes..and it's even better if you can force someone ELSE to pay for them.

They are the darlings of the left for just that reason. You can get a lot done if you're willing to pay for votes..and it's even better if you can force someone ELSE to pay for them.

I'm very glad we take care of our poor temporarily :cool:

OP- BS! thanks for the Great Pub World Recession, and screwing the nonrich and the country for 30 years with voodoo, financial corruption, and the stupidest wars/defense spending EVER.

Are you equally glad about the multi-generational moochers gaming the system?

I don't have to because the government agrees with me and so do the majority of people who elected those to govern the choices of how money is spent. :cool:

Have you been delusional long? Considering the approval ratings of Congress, I'd say your are 180 degrees wrong about people liking how the government spends their tax dollars........except for thr 47% who aren't paying any income taxes.

Are you equally glad about the multi-generational moochers gaming the system?

Of course he is! So long as they vote to take money from the people he doesn't like, and so long as they back up the bigotry and depravity of the left.

The problem for the poor in America is definitely not lack of resources. The problem for the poor in America is a huge, ever expanding, more and more bloated government that is slowly but surely drawing more and more of our resources into itself to be consumed as government, not as assistance for the poor or any other benefit. But to keep drawing our resources into government, and thereby enrich those in government, they will continue to dispense just enough to provide the incentive for people to remain 'poor' and therefore voting for those who pay them to stay that way.

And, as a Christian, since you brought it up, that is not my definition of compassion.

OP- BS! thanks for the Great Pub World Recession, and screwing the nonrich and the country for 30 years with voodoo, financial corruption, and the stupidest wars/defense spending EVER.

Blanko.....

.....Interesting that both you and Netanyahu have the same nick-name…”BB”
…him due to his first name, you, due to brain size.

Have you been delusional long? Considering the approval ratings of Congress, I'd say your are 180 degrees wrong about people liking how the government spends their tax dollars........except for thr 47% who aren't paying any income taxes.

Of course, that's FEDERAL income taxes, now less than payroll taxes after 30 years of Voodoo and pandering to rich. The poorest workers pay more %wise in all taxes and fees than Romney and corporations, and middle class (24%) pay more than the richest (17%). Change the channel, read something, and sthu, dumbazz dupe. see sig pp1.

Last edited:

Blanko.....

So dumb, coming from the biggest brainwashed RW parrot on the board. Me, Masters in History, retired teacher, 140 IQ, You, brainwashed fool for the greedy idiot rich. Never a single real fact. Read something.

The USA is the only modern country in the world where full time workers live in poverty and have no health care (750k bankruptcies a year, most HAVE insurance - crap insurance!) After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole?

See here's the thing...people didn't used to eat things like lasagna, and chicken marsala and stir fry every night for dinner. We've become so accustomed to having so much of everything, that now we expect it.

People live just fine eating the same boring crap day after day...beans and rice, stews, hamburgers, fried fish, cabbage...those used to be American staples...people live just fine on meals which consist of a half dozen ingredients (potatoes, meat or fish or some sort of stew/soup, salad or veggie). But we've gotten accustomed to these meals that in the old days were only consumed for *special* occasions.

Spaghetti in my household was a rarity. I don't think I ever had real pizza until I was a teenager. We ate the same thing for days running...but we'd put everything on the table, and serve it as a meal...so we'd have a ham on the weekend, then ham and beans all week, until maybe thursday, then we'd have ham and beans and maybe mom would fry some round steak or venison. And there were always veggies and bread on the table...and potatoes.

You're right that nobody can afford to eat lasagna every day. That's why you stick with staples and save that stuff for company.

In my house it's chicken, beef in various forms (very little burger, I just can't stand the cheap stuff it grosses me out), pork...and potatoes, cabbage, beans, peas, green beans, corn, eggs, tortillas, cheese. I mean, that's about it. We have pickles, olives, fruit...but those are our staples. I make a lot of my own bread to dress up what are very, very plain meals. And that's the way the poor live and eat. We're just so used to excess that we've forgotten.

When we were just starting out, there was a lot of times all we had was pinto beans with a little ground beef in them--both were very cheap back then. Maybe a side of fried potatoes and home grown fruit or something out of the garden. We have made do with nothing but oatmeal to eat for a day. That was also very cheap. But we didn't go hungry. And though by today's standards we were dirt poor, we didn't feel like it. Nobody told us, but we just instinctively knew that we were paying our dues in our entry level jobs and things would get better.

And the day came when we were able to afford a small used black and white TV and things like pork chops and chicken became common on our dinner table. We felt very rich indeed then.

Now kids expect to start out with as much as we had after working for 25 years. And the definition of poverty is very different now than it was when we started out.

I'm almost 56 and one of my favorite meals still is pinto beans and fried potatoes. I grew up on them. Throw in some cornbread and that's some mighty fine eating right there! :eusa_drool:

No wonder your brains barely function...

Actually I eat them every day, with chicken, fish, veggies, and fruits. Hello, 62!. The real problem these days are crappe processed foods, full of bad fat and bad sugar.

Last edited:

Blanko.....

So dumb, coming from the biggest brainwashed RW parrot on the board. Me, Masters in History, retired teacher, 140 IQ, You, brainwashed fool for the greedy idiot rich. Never a single real fact. Read something.

The USA is the only modern country in the world where full time workers live in poverty and have no health care (750k bankruptcies a year, most HAVE insurance - crap insurance!) After 30 years of Voodoo: worst min. wage, work conditions, illegal work safeguards, vacations, work week, college costs, rich/poor gap, upward social mobility, % homeless and in prison EVAH, and in the modern world!! And you complain about the victims? Are you an idiot or an A-hole?

"So dumb, coming from the biggest brainwashed RW parrot on the board. Me, Masters in History,...."

Masters??
No doubt you meant 'Mushroom."

No, seriously....you're an idiot.

I've seen your posts, I've seen your writing ability.....
...'idiot' is being kind.

Whoever told you that you had an IQ at all, had a sense of humor.

I bet you've gotten used to the paper slippers....now if you could only remember to put the gown on with the opening to the back.....

More like my typing ability and interest. I bow to your secretarial skills, and brainwashed hateful functional idiocy.

Everything I post is documented and verifiable.

You simply bloviate....and still manage to get every single thing wrong.

That's an amazing give for consistency you have there.

And....my most accurate posts?
The previous two.

Forum List

Back