The Language of Success?

Not sure what the connection might be, but it is interesting. Sometimes coincidence and causality are disguised as one another. It does seem plausible that one who is not so much concerned with the future would be less inclined to prepare for it. Growing up with a language that differentiates between present and future could possibly make the youthful live as if they will never become old hence causing them subconsciously to neglect preparing for it. I seem to have had that attitude along with many of my contemporaries. We lived as if there was no tomorrow.

It is conceivable that a younger person's not being aware of a separation between present and future, a condition completely foreign to me, might be more aware of the continuous aging process by way of observing the elderly (that are in the same present time along with them) and see the need to prepare for the day they become unable to work...knowing that it is not somewhere off in some far distant future. To them, the future is now.

It is interesting, but more sensationalism than science. Different means of inflection and ways of expressing tense and voice do not indicate an absence of certain universal concepts. If you think about all the variables involved in reaching the conclusions suggested by the article it quickly becomes apparent that the thesis falls right apart. If you further consider all the counter-evidence, it is obvious there is not much 'there' there.

Still, interesting though.

In the aggregate I have little doubt that such things as how future is discussed effects outcomes of that society.

Probably works on individual outcomes as well.

Language shapes perception and perception shapes behaviors and behaviors effect outcomes.

In the aggregate I have little doubt that such things as how future is discussed effects outcomes of that society.

Probably works on individual outcomes as well...

I have a lot of doubt about that.

Forum List

Back