The Kentucky Derby-order porducing chaos.

Yeah, the favorite gets disqualified, and a 65-1 shot wins. Follow the money. This is a total SCAM. Horses box each other out in almost every race.

I can actually see both sides. However, the Kentucky Derby is like the playoffs in other sports. Typically, the refs "let them play". You could call a penalty in every play in football, yet they don't. Those "jump balls" in the end zone are full of offensive and defensive interference, and illegal contact, yet no calls because it is about playing the game, and that's part of it.

Funny that during the alleged "incident" none of the officials saw a thing wrong. Spontaneity is what sports are about and they don't happen in slow motion. It looked to me like MS was simply in the lead with no one beside or ahead of him and the horse straightened out his path for the final dash down to the finish line. No other horse around him was about to overtake and beat him. This was highway robbery, that 65:1 horse was gifted, and I hope the MS owners sue and win.

Horse racing has just taken a major ass-fucking in the name of god-damned political correctness.

You need to look at this...

You may not like it, but disqualifying Maximum Security was the best call

Changes nothing.

View attachment 259997

Horses are animals. They bump into each other for 0.002 seconds. Was War of Will going to win? No. Was Country House even close to winning? Nope. The only reason why this was an issue at all was because MS was out ahead and was going to win and liberals hate a winner. Had he been back in the pack, no one would have given a SHIT if there had been minor contact. I mean, how much could they have touched without one or both horses getting tripped up? MS never even knew the other horse was there. Political correctness just killed another American Pastime.

No, they don't bump into each other. Especially at that angle.

Yes, they are animals. That is why there is a jockey riding. If he can't control his horse, he shouldn't be riding.

I am not a liberal. I don't hate a winner. I do, however, want the rules enforced. Especially one that involves the safety of the jockeys and the horses.

Yeah, the favorite gets disqualified, and a 65-1 shot wins. Follow the money. This is a total SCAM. Horses box each other out in almost every race.

Horses don't box each other out when they are that close. That is the rule that was violated. Don't like it? Change the rule. Throwing a temper tantrum just because the rule was applied after an obvious violation.

Horses don't box each other out when they are that close. That is the rule that was violated. Don't like it? Change the rule. Throwing a temper tantrum just because the rule was applied after an obvious violation.

I have no skin in the game. I don't gamble, but it is just too easy to see what happened here. So corrupt.

There was no boxing in. That is an intentional, deliberate act. MS and his jockey had no way of knowing that horse was back there. Boxing is an intentional act, like a NASCAR banging into the side of a competitor to knock him out of the competition. Had that little incidental contact been made, so minor that no judge, no official even noticed it, NOTHING would have been changed in the outcome. It isn't like one of those other horses was overtaking MS and would have beaten him. You are so married to the LETTER of the law, you've lost sight of the SPIRIT. It was not a deliberate act, that contact occurred in a split second and changed nothing in the outcome of the race. The better horse by far had his victory taken away from him on a pointless TECHNICALITY and given to an undeserving horse that even the owner admitted. That was never the intent of the law, the law was written to punish deliberate cheaters who acted to change the outcome of the race, it and all decisions like it in sports is ruining sporting games everywhere, interest in sports everywhere is suffering because of this crap where it is no longer spontaneous in real time by human decision on the spare of the moment but now in some replay booth upstairs with 40 different camera angles in a little room as everyone waits, this is going to hurt horse racing, and you need to step back from your myopic obsession with technology and perfection to realize that sports was never meant to be that way; had it not been for slow motion video, zoom, and a whole team of people over 20 minutes, that contact would have gone totally unnoticed in the second it occurred and MS would have won that race.

As with most bad things, they start out as a good idea or with good intentions, but this obsession with replay to make sure every play that is not called the way someone wants or wasn't called right is corrected has taken the very thing that made sports exciting and worthwhile out of the game: THE HUMAN ELEMENT OF CHANCE.

If the race had taken place in 1875-2018, Maximum Security would have been in the winner’s circle.

They've allowed jockeys to object and the stewards to make inquiries on horse race results for many, many years. This is really nothing new about this, except for how high profile of a race this happened in.

That's the thing I really like about Greyhound Racing, the dogs can object too, but no one listens to them.

If you’re scratching your head over the results of the 2019 Kentucky Derby you’re not alone. Ostensibly the horse that won somehow cheated, affecting the outcome of the race. Even if a reasonable observer watches video of the supposed incident, it’s difficult, if not impossible, to see anything other than a horserace.

If the race had taken place in 1875-2018, Maximum Security would have been in the winner’s circle. But as officiating, armed with technology that outstrips its common sense aggrandizes itself by acquiescing to the sour grapes of the losers, the race will live in infamy as a glaring example, not of horse cheating, but human politics and imperfection.

Listening to Red Sox commentators the other day was interesting. They were discussing an umpire’s decision to call a strike on a batter that initiated, but did not complete a swing at a pitch. Apparently there is no plane the bat must pass over the plate; the umpire decides if the batter “intended” to swing.

All who have ever played or viewed baseball know that anyone standing in the batter’s box with a piece of wood “intends” to swing at the ball-it’s the point of the game. So the umpire is granted some kind of clairvoyant power to conclude what is in the batter’s mind? This is officiating taking its place not as a peripheral aspect of sport, but front and center as judge, jury and executioner-and they have surveillance cameras manned by more officials in bat caves watching everything so an outcome produced by microns will be “fair”.

American football is losing viewership at record rates in large part because rules are barging onto the field converting pass receivers into ballet dancers and quarterbacks into players with handicap parking stickers on their helmets. The game is all but ruined but officiating is propagating individual superstars. Didn’t we all like sporting events that were overseen by human perceptions better? Is it an improvement when losers can use spy cameras to alter the outcome?

Those who lost their shirts on the Kentucky Derby had an unfortunate place in line as the arrow of time leads us into a new paradigm of controlled surveillance that steals serendipity and delivers the final word. Horses don’t split hairs and second guess other runners but human officials do.

This is the kind of loser’s order that produces chaos; Look at the last presidential election.
I always relished sports as the last politics-free bastion of entertainment. Recently, horse events were all that was left. Now, meh...why even bother wasting time watching any sports at all. I always have plenty of things to do.

So you aren't denying that there was a foul. But somehow you think politics had something to do with the results?
No, not implying politics in this instance. It just seems that lately sports have been politicized to the point of lacking entertainment value. If anything, this is more like a snowflake convention. I used to go to the track regularly when I lived back east. I lived right outside of Freehold, NJ. "Infractions" like this were never uncommon and too frequently ended in serious injuries to horses and jockeys alike. If this is the first time in 145 years that such an infraction warranted removal of the obvious winner, it makes you wonder, why now?

Changing lanes (yes, they are clearly marked, even in the mud) endangers the horses and the riders. That is why the rule exists. The fact that the other jockey checked up is what prevented a fall.

If you have ever seen horses get tangled up and fall, you wouldn't think it trivial.

This is not NASCAR where "rubbing is racing".

Looks like the lead horse just collapsed on his own

It does look like he went down on his own, and all the others tripped over him or subsequent animals that fell.

I did not post the video to show the same violation, but to show how bad an accident can be.

Oh, I understood that. All it takes is one misstep by one animal.

Expecting a horse to run perfectly straight all the time is retarded, and a jockey cannot instantaneously correct it even if they could incredibly notice small movements to the side.

Forum List

Back