The Kelpie Sheep Dog.

Feb 22, 2011
Texas
We have been without a dog for some time now, and while up in north Texas, I met a family who breed thees dogs and sell them to ranchers and such. When they have the rare dog that does not have an aptitude for work, they have them fixed and place them in a home. I had a chance to meet one if thees dogs, a girl named Sheila, who is smart as hell and an all around great dog. She is a little bit spastic, but that's fine because she is still young. She is coming to stay for the weekend next Saturday to see how she gets along with my cat and the kids. Here is a video of a Kelpie doing its thing.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Cyx_ru46k]‪Working kelpie Sky in sheepdog training January 2010‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip-oEu3OeV8&feature=related]‪Crufts 2008‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Kelpies are great dogs.

I've seen a few at herding trials when I was trialing my BC Jake.

Super smart in just about any venue.

I know you'll like Sheilah. Good luck with her.

• Banned
I hope she likes us ! She has never been to the city or seen the ocean before. The kids are pretty excited, that's cool considering they are teens and dont get excited about much any more. I think the dog is part of the Wife's plan ti keep me busy after the kids are gone.

If those vids are any indication, I'd say the dog is going to keep you VERY busy. I hope he doesn't have to be left alone at home for any time...

• Banned
If those vids are any indication, I'd say the dog is going to keep you VERY busy. I hope he doesn't have to be left alone at home for any time...

Some times yes. The dog is called a "bench Kelpie". They lack the aptitude for or drive herding. She is still smart as hell. She even likes to run on a tread mill. At this time I do lots of work at a boat yard in Galveston, so she would be able to come with me to work most days. She was also raised as an inside dog, and can handle being left alone for a day. I cut a doggie door this weekend and secured her water container so it cant be tipped. Her current owner wouldn't let her come to us if they did not like how our set up looked. She is in no hurry to get rid of this dog and can be picky about placing her.

Last edited:
Oh how nice...my son had two herding dogs, a border collie and a little dingo sort of dog, when he was a boy. They were lovely, lovely dogs.

Ruh roh....chances are he'll set the pup straight from the beginning and that will be that.

Forum List

Back