Cats hair is clumping

sarahgop

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2009
he seems healthy and in good spirits but his hair on his back is growing in thick clumps. any ideas?

No sores? No fleas? Could be a serge of growth in certain areas due to hormones?

he seems healthy and in good spirits but his hair on his back is growing in thick clumps. any ideas?

I cut my cats dreads out, and brush him when he is hanging out with me. His does that to.

i also cut them out but they seem to come back

You need to groom him better.

If you can take him to a groomer to start him out. He may need to be shaved to get the clumps all out.

After that you will need to regularly brush and comb though the fur to keep it clean. Bathing every so often will help.

How To Give a Cat a Bath

Instructions on how to wash your toilet

1. Put both lids up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the loud noises, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the here and the front door.

7. Standing behind as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out out, streak through the room and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely,

The Dog

He's shedding and starting to grow back in his winter coat. Best instruction I can give, as I've had a shorthair with really fine fur that had the same problem is to get a SMOOTH metal wide toothed comb and bush them out every day. If you don't want to buy a metal toothed comb, just get an old fashioned barber's comb with wide and tight spacing. The cat will possibly hate the first time you do it as you get the knots out, but it'll be better after a few times. The real stubborn knots cut out. You can pick at some of the knots with fingers to help break them up and make easier to comb out.

Should help out. Just keep up at it, and after a while the cat will probably love it.

Brushing any animal cures a variety of ills and will result in a nicer animal.

It's true of all animals..dogs, cats, horses, kids.

Any animal who has hair that's matting needs brushed at least once a day. Be careful if you cut out mats because it's very easy to clip the skin.

YOu can apply oil to the hair and work out almost any mat..but of course you have to wash it off.

For horses when you have matted manes and tails, you use a pen knife, and you cut through the mats...with the hair, not against. So you aren't cutting the matted hair chunk OFF, you're cutting THROUGH it, vertically...then you start pulling and brushing. You can get rid of very bad mats that way without chopping the hair up. It looks better and it's better for the animal, because it's never good for an animal to have its hair shaved off. They need their hair.

I get so mad at people who shave their furry long-haired dogs (except for say, poodles, whose hair can accomodate that) thinking they're doing them a favor. BRUSH THOSE BOOGERS! Don't just let them sit in their filthy coats and then shave it off and think you've done them a favor. Look at their skin when you do that..it's dandruffy, dirty, usually mite infested (whether you know it or not). They need the guard hairs and the undercoat, but if you brush it, the old hair and skin is eliminated as much as possible, the oils coat the entire hair shaft, and the coat works the way it should, as an insulator.

Klaus is a long haired saint..they are bred for cold climes and do not like the heat. I brush him every day (I use a fairly stiff horse brush) and he is beautiful and NOT too hot. His coat is shiny, fairly thin (because there is no dead hair just sitting there) and his skin is beautiful. He has no itchy spots, he has no dandruff. I will never shave him except as a specific treatment for something.

Brush your cat. That's the long and short of it. Stimulate its skin to produce oil, pull the oil through the skin, increase circulation, and, incidentally, remove dead hair.

How To Give a Cat a Bath

Instructions on how to wash your toilet

1. Put both lids up and add 1/8 cup of pet shampoo to the water.

2. Pick up the cat and soothe him while you carry him towards the bathroom.

3. In one smooth movement, put the cat in the toilet and close both lids. You may need to stand on the lid.

4. The cat will self agitate and make ample suds. Never mind the loud noises, the cat is actually enjoying this.

5. Flush three or four times. This provides a "power-wash" and rinse".

6. Have someone open the front door of your home. Be sure that there are no people between the here and the front door.

7. Standing behind as far as you can, and quickly lift both lids.

8. The cat will rocket out out, streak through the room and run outside where he will dry himself off.

9. Both the commode and the cat will be sparkling clean.

Sincerely,

The Dog

Make sure you have plenty of Bandaids

I stick to shorthair breeds.

They don't need baths.

If you use the knife method, which I strongly encourage, please cut away from the animal, and try not to stab it.

Brushing any animal cures a variety of ills and will result in a nicer animal.

It's true of all animals..dogs, cats, horses, kids.

Any animal who has hair that's matting needs brushed at least once a day. Be careful if you cut out mats because it's very easy to clip the skin.

YOu can apply oil to the hair and work out almost any mat..but of course you have to wash it off.

For horses when you have matted manes and tails, you use a pen knife, and you cut through the mats...with the hair, not against. So you aren't cutting the matted hair chunk OFF, you're cutting THROUGH it, vertically...then you start pulling and brushing. You can get rid of very bad mats that way without chopping the hair up. It looks better and it's better for the animal, because it's never good for an animal to have its hair shaved off. They need their hair.

I get so mad at people who shave their furry long-haired dogs (except for say, poodles, whose hair can accomodate that) thinking they're doing them a favor. BRUSH THOSE BOOGERS! Don't just let them sit in their filthy coats and then shave it off and think you've done them a favor. Look at their skin when you do that..it's dandruffy, dirty, usually mite infested (whether you know it or not). They need the guard hairs and the undercoat, but if you brush it, the old hair and skin is eliminated as much as possible, the oils coat the entire hair shaft, and the coat works the way it should, as an insulator.

Klaus is a long haired saint..they are bred for cold climes and do not like the heat. I brush him every day (I use a fairly stiff horse brush) and he is beautiful and NOT too hot. His coat is shiny, fairly thin (because there is no dead hair just sitting there) and his skin is beautiful. He has no itchy spots, he has no dandruff. I will never shave him except as a specific treatment for something.

Brush your cat. That's the long and short of it. Stimulate its skin to produce oil, pull the oil through the skin, increase circulation, and, incidentally, remove dead hair.
and you can knit yourself another cat with the removed fur. There will be LOTS of it.

I don't have to worry about my cat getting a bath. She gets in the tub with the dogs...walking around with her tail floating behind her. Long as she has a mat under her, she is fine. Cats dont like slippery surfaces. And she likes water.

Forum List

Back