Pets and the Heat

Discussion in 'Pets' started by random3434, Jul 20, 2011.

1. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    As I sit in my air conditioned house, with my 2 cats and one kitten, while it's 97 degrees and humid outside, I realize there are many pets outside in this heat.

Their owners may be at work, or just keep them outside.

Do you think this is right? Is it too hot for animals to be outside in these conditions for a long period of time?

What about when it's 10 below out, same thing?

2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
    Too many people get dogs...then buy them a dog house, chain them up, forget about them. The dog is doomed forever to be in one little space, wagging its tail, hoping for attention only to be ignored until it is feeding time.
    So in answer to your question...no. It isnt right. I'd like to shoot dead anyone that has a dog and chained them up.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,889
    I think it depends on what they are used to. We have many, many days of 95+ heat and 99% humidity and no one puts their pets indoors for it.

4. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    In my county, you have to have a place for the pet to "escape" to. That means plenty of water and shade for the animal to escape to. When I had my dog, I had a plastic kids pool and a big Galvanized water trough for him to swim in and drink from. he also had a doggie door.

5. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    It is also against the law to have dogs on a tether in my county.

6. Cuyo

Cuyo Training a Guineapig army

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    My pets - All 25,000 or so of them - Are enjoying a total of 20.5 tons of A/C. :cool:

(An average whole-house system is about 3.5-5 ton if you're unfamiliar. :))

7. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I had a neighbor one time. I lived in the back house. He and his 500 lbs wife lived in front. They had the meanest dog in the whole world. Mean dogs don't stop me. They are mean because all they got was cruelty.
    One day, it was sooooo cold. So cold. That dog stayed chained in the back yard near their back door so they could toss out scraps. Anyone go near it he didn't know, he would literally try to kill.
    So..being me....I was sneaking him stuff. Food, chews. Stuffed animals. Of course I didn't approach him. I had a long handled pole. He would growl and spit at me and that chain was so heavy I was amazed he could even raise his head.
    Anyway, the day it was cold...I had my pole. And I had a blanket. That dog had no house. He was under their awning to keep the sun off fatass wife when she waddled out there to do whatever she did. I took that pole, folded that blanket the best I could, shoved it to the dog. As usual he wanted to tear my throat out. But I got it close enough to where it was on the cement patio (which was probably like ice). That dog shivered so much I don't know if it was from the cold or from hate and anger at me. I pushed it to him anyway. He tore it almost in shreds..probably thinking it my throat or legs. To my amazement, when he was done pretending it was flesh and bone, he nosed it into a nice little pile and laid on it. The look he gave me was.....priceless.
    A few weeks later after me shoving more stuff to him....he slowly began to not growl.

Owners of the dog came to my door, said it was ok to do what I was doing, but never get too close. He was trained to kill. Their guard dog. Um. Ok. I nodded. But I was bound and determined to get close some day.

One day...they informed me they were going away for the weekend. Dog would protect back door..could I keep watch in front? No problem, says I. And I wait.
    They leave. I sneak back out there. talking soft. Doggy biscuit in my hand. I am just beyond the chain. I sit. Show him the biscuit. No pole this time. And I wait. He little by little sneaks to me. Gently reaches out his teeth filled mouth, takes it. Dare I? Yes. I dare. I hold my hand out to show nothing is in it. He raises head to meet my open hand, palm down. He is saying ok. Touch my head. So I do.

Broke my heart. Literally. But no law against keeping a dog outside in heat or extreme cold. Long as he has a cover (the patio awning) and food (scraps fed daily), no laws are broke.

We had to move eventually. The night we left..I snuck out there and unchained him and whispered in his ear RUN!!!! And he did.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    And now I will not return to this thread cuz it bummed me out thinking about it.

The end of the story, though, must be told. A few years later I was working that neighborhood for PG&E offering free window and door insulation. When i got there, fatass and husband still resided in the home. After signing them up for their freebies, I asked whatever happened to that mean ol dog they had? They said it got loose somehow and ran off. I smiled as I headed for my car.
    Live and die free, I mumbled to myself.

Anyway...I'm off to toss the ball to my beloved fur children and will return to other threads. :)

9. Momanohedhunter

Momanohedhunter BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +250
    And go maul some kid and be shot, or get picked up by animal control and killed there. Real smart, real humane. No better then fat ass throwing scraps out the door.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    You in the poultry business?