The insanity of right wing patriotism

Yes there was intelligence that they might try this, there was probably also 100 other memos stating 100 other threats that have never seen the light of day. its kind of easy to cherry pick the one that was "right" after the fact, and even then it said that there was some type of attack happening.

There was never a letter saying, you know, sometime in september 2011 they will fly a bunch of planes into NY and Washington, and maybe we should have some jets in the air right now.

Look back at Pearl Harbor for the last part. A supposedly dullard adversary got an entire fleet withing 150 miles of our biggest base in the Pacific, and got away scott clean. Sometimes the other side gets lucky.
I understand your point and do beleive it is a valid one. But the bigger issue is...

Is 9/11 more important to this country than the Constitution?

Because there is no getting around the fact that Padilla was denied his Constitutional rights for 2 years. And if it could happen to him, it can happen to any citizen.

Yes there was intelligence that they might try this, there was probably also 100 other memos stating 100 other threats that have never seen the light of day. its kind of easy to cherry pick the one that was "right" after the fact, and even then it said that there was some type of attack happening.

There was never a letter saying, you know, sometime in september 2011 they will fly a bunch of planes into NY and Washington, and maybe we should have some jets in the air right now.

Look back at Pearl Harbor for the last part. A supposedly dullard adversary got an entire fleet withing 150 miles of our biggest base in the Pacific, and got away scott clean. Sometimes the other side gets lucky.
I understand your point and do beleive it is a valid one. But the bigger issue is...

Is 9/11 more important to this country than the Constitution?

Because there is no getting around the fact that Padilla was denied his Constitutional rights for 2 years. And if it could happen to him, it can happen to any citizen.

Actually because it happened to him, it probably wont happen to another citizen, because the government got slapped down by the courts. The system worked, it took too long, but it worked.

We are too used to TV and Movies, where all conflicts are resolved in a matter of hours. Real due process takes time, and people will get hurt. In the end the correction to the system is what matters.

This is independent of if padilla was an asshat or not. had he been 100% innocent he could have sued the crap out of the government and probably won. In the end he actually was a terrorist asshole, so the government got lucky.

Link to this supposed doctrine? Or admit you made it up.
It's codified in the Patriot Act, Military Commission's Act and the NDAA.

Now WTF are you talking about making shit up? Are you saying we don't indefinately definately detain people? That we don't torture people? Or don't do renditions? That we've haven't been at war now for over 10 years and are up to our 6th country we've made up reasons to attack?

Don't give me this shit about making things up. You know god-damn well what we're doing!

Actually because it happened to him, it probably wont happen to another citizen, because the government got slapped down by the courts. The system worked, it took too long, but it worked.

We are too used to TV and Movies, where all conflicts are resolved in a matter of hours. Real due process takes time, and people will get hurt. In the end the correction to the system is what matters.

This is independent of if padilla was an asshat or not. had he been 100% innocent he could have sued the crap out of the government and probably won. In the end he actually was a terrorist asshole, so the government got lucky.
It just happened to a former vet this past week for comments he made on Facebook!

Right-wing patriotism might be insane.

But the thing about left-wing patriotism is, it doesn't exist.

:eusa_shhh:
Oh, it exists. And it exists for this country.

Right wing patriotism, on the otherhand, exists in some Orwelian universe on what you think this country should be, but not actually is.

I always get a kick out of lunatics on the right calling someone "anti-American", when I look at the things they support, like Constitutional rights.

Here is the rights' version of what Constitutional rights are:
<b>The government’s indefinite detention policy –
If you are an enemy combatant or a threat to national security, we will detain you indefinitely until the war is over

It is a perpetual war, which will never be over

Neither you or your lawyers have a right to see the evidence against you, nor to face your accusers

But trust us, we know you are an enemy combatant and a threat to national security

We may torture you (and try to cover up the fact that you were tortured), because you are an enemy combatant, and so basic rights of a prisoner guaranteed by the Geneva Convention don’t apply to you

Since you admitted that you’re a bad guy (while trying to tell us whatever you think we want to hear to make the torture stop), it proves that we should hold you in indefinite detention​
See how that works?
</b>
Is this what many of them consider American values? It must be, because anytime someone voices their criticism of these policies, they're attacked for being anti-American.

My God, you people are fuckin' nuts and not anywhere close to what an American believes!

Didn't Obama sign the NDAA? Wasn't the part of that law that you are crying about struck down in court?

I always get a kick out of lunatics on the right calling someone "anti-American", when I look at the things they support, like Constitutional rights.

Here is the rights' version of what Constitutional rights are:
The government’s indefinite detention policy –
If you are an enemy combatant or a threat to national security, we will detain you indefinitely until the war is over

It is a perpetual war, which will never be over

Neither you or your lawyers have a right to see the evidence against you, nor to face your accusers

But trust us, we know you are an enemy combatant and a threat to national security

We may torture you (and try to cover up the fact that you were tortured), because you are an enemy combatant, and so basic rights of a prisoner guaranteed by the Geneva Convention don’t apply to you

Since you admitted that you’re a bad guy (while trying to tell us whatever you think we want to hear to make the torture stop), it proves that we should hold you in indefinite detention​
See how that works?
Is this what many of them consider American values? It must be, because anytime someone voices their criticism of these policies, they're attacked for being anti-American.

My God, you people are fuckin' nuts and not anywhere close to what an American believes!

Only if you are not an American Citizen. If you are a Citizen you get full due process. If you are not a citizen and not part of a national army or follow the rules for insurgents, you are an unlawful combatant and your ass is grass.

Incorrect.

Non-citizens, including those undocumented or detained terrorism suspects, are entitled to habeas and due process rights. See: Plyler v. Doe (1982), Boumediene v. Bush (2008)

If you're referring to Judge Forrest's decision, it's too soon to make that call. We still need to go through the appeals process and eventually to a SCOTUS decision.

I will say our system of government has the unique feature of correcting itself when it gets off-track. But a lot of that is dependant on a well-informed republic and we're far from that.

I've never claimed that he was a good guy, just a citizen.

Incorrect.

Non-citizens, including those undocumented or detained terrorism suspects, are entitled to habeas and due process rights. See: Plyler v. Doe (1982), Boumediene v. Bush (2008)
The NDAA includes US citizens in its detention policy which is codified in section 1021.

Section 1021 entitled “AFFIRMATION OF AUTHORITY OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES TO DETAIN COVERED PERSONS PURSUANT TO THE AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE” allows for the President (whoever that may be) “to use all necessary and appropriate force pursuant to the Authorization for Use of Military Force … to detain covered persons …pending disposition under the law of war.”
So the President can detain anyone who is a covered person. And one of the definitions covered person is, "anyone committing a belligerent act"...

“A covered person,” according to the edict’s malleable lingo, is “any person … who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored those responsible for those attacks …” or, who “was a part of or substantially supported al-Qaeda, the Taliban,” or “associated forces that are engaged in hostilities against the United States or its coalition partners, including any person who has committed a belligerent act or has directly supported such hostilities in aid of such enemy forces.”
...which is just a little too vague when the issue of protecting our civil rights is considered.

How long can you blame it on Bush? Don't look now loinboy but the radical left is in power. Why not ask Hussein Obama about it?
Bush will be blamed for everything he is responsible for. There is no statute of limitations on personal accountability.

Obama's not a leftist and he's not a liberal. His foreign policy is still the neocon agenda. GITMO never closed. The wars didn't end. No one was prosecuted for war crimes. And warrantless wiretapping has been expanded. Our Constitution is still being shit on. We've been stripped of our civil rights. And anyone of us can be murdered by a drone strike if the despot in Washington so decides.

If you support that shit, fuck you!

I get it, you think Barry Hussein Obama is part of a right wing conspiracy. Maybe you should seek professional help, tenderloin.

I get it, you think Barry Hussein Obama is part of a right wing conspiracy. Maybe you should seek professional help, tenderloin.
Nice try. It seems you're the one who's trying to spin this into a conspiracy theory. Why can't you just accept what I said at face value, instead of making up your own version of it?

It's not that complicated. I don't think he's a liberal, or a leftist, or a progressive. That's it. No conspiracy to it. And because his policies are more right wing than left, I've withdrawn my support.

Why do you think I need professional help for that? GFY!

Forum List

Back