The hummers are back!!

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Yes, I need to get mine put out and loaded as well...my bat house is in need of repair as is my birdhouse..

Last edited:
LOL...I thought you were talking about a gay parade

They are here year round. I have two feeders and if they get to low, they buzz around me demanding more. They also buzz me when they want the hose so they can take a bath. So I obediently get it, put it on fine mist and sit there as they bathe.

This little guy was such a surprise.

Quiet dinner, quiet conversation, watching the ducks and geese over the lake and all of sudden, he's hovering over our wine glasses, looking right at us and demanding we get busy.

We've talked about putting bat houses up but we have so many caves around the lake, it seems a bit redundant. Love sitting out there watching them pour out in the evening and do their loop de loops over our heads.

This little guy was such a surprise.

Quiet dinner, quiet conversation, watching the ducks and geese over the lake and all of sudden, he's hovering over our wine glasses, looking right at us and demanding we get busy.

We've talked about putting bat houses up but we have so many caves around the lake, it seems a bit redundant. Love sitting out there watching them pour out in the evening and do their loop de loops over our heads.

Driving at night when the humidity is high around here and you think you are being bat attacked...

The Eagles soar overhead as do the Red Tailed Hawks...have to keep the chihuahua close...

There are caves all around here also, Bluff Dwellers is about 3 miles from the house, they have daily tours...

Last edited:
I just pour a shitload of sugar in it with hot water to disolve it...then lukewarm water to cool it off. Badabing. Done.

I think the store bought stuff is red so it looks "pretty".

Sugar water....it's like crack for hummingbirds!!

I'm gonna save some time and fill ours with Coca-cola....

:lol:

LOL. Like, not!

I miss living in the country, but I do appreciate being able to drink the tap water.
And a newspaper on the porch in the morning.
And a 3 block trip to the liquor store.
Pizza delivery.
Short commute to work.
A cell phone signal.
High speed internets.
Did I mention liquor store?

The red dye causes liver disease in hummers. You also don't want to use raw sugar, brown sugar or honey to make the nectar. White sugar only and the ratio should be 4-5:1.

Four to five parts water water to one part sugar.

Hummers main food source is bugs but the sugar gives them quick energy.

And BATS!!

Again, eating dinner on the deck, just enjoying the lake and the birds and the peace and quiet and all of a sudden, there were a gazillion bats around our heads.

Looking up, I noticed a tiny spider building a web among the leaves. We joked that he was being very very still and hoping not to be noticed by the bats.

Forum List

Back