The Horse? Really? They couldn't even leave Traveller alone?

No one cares about memorials to the soldiers who died. It's the leaders of the treason that do not deserve to honored with memorials.
Everyone of them that fought before, during, or after the Civil War are US veterans.....Even Jefferson Davis is a US veteran. The former CSA generals Joe Wheeler and Fitz Lee fought in the Spanish American War.

Sticks in your craw doesn't it?.....But that is what you get for being fuckin' stupid around me.

Everyone of them that fought before, during, or after the Civil War are US veterans.....Even Jefferson Davis is a US veteran. The former CSA generals Joe Wheeler and Fitz Lee fought in the Spanish American War.

Sticks in your craw doesn't it?.....But that is what you get for being fuckin' stupid around me.
The current policy of treating confederate graves as fallen American soldiers is correct. The men who led the confederacy are a different story. What did they do that so great that they deserve to be the centerpieces of our public spaces forever?

No one cares about memorials to the soldiers who died. It's the leaders of the treason that do not deserve to honored with memorials.

Isn't it good to live in America where everyone is free to have an opinion, regardless of how fucked up stupid yours is?

History does not exist in memorials. For those who wish to know about Lee and the horse he rode in on can still access this information freely.
I think it there is such a thing as going too far. Many of the Confederate memorials were mass produced and plonked down long after the war, in places that were not even states or confederate sympathizers, I don’t have a problem with those being removed. But Lee was a part of Virginias history, a “native son”. You can’t erase history, you just need to keep it in context.

The current policy of treating confederate graves as fallen American soldiers is correct. The men who led the confederacy are a different story. What did they do that so great that they deserve to be the centerpieces of our public spaces forever?
That’s a good point.

I think it there is such a thing as going too far. Many of the Confederate memorials were mass produced and plonked down long after the war, in places that were not even states or confederate sympathizers, I don’t have a problem with those being removed. But Lee was a part of Virginias history, a “native son”. You can’t erase history, you just need to keep it in context.
The Civil War is already taught in context. You don't need to tear down historical references to it.

The Civil War is already taught in context. You don't need to tear down historical references to it.
I think it depends on the monument, where it is and what means to local people and why it was erected. It isn’t a case of simply memorializing a war.

Many monuments are also works of art, Stone Mountain for example, or they commerate a particular event at the site of that event or memorialize the loss of lives at the home town of those people. I think all that needs to be considered. What I mean by context is what is written on the plaque.

I think it depends on the monument, where it is and what means to local people and why it was erected. It isn’t a case of simply memorializing a war.

Many monuments are also works of art, Stone Mountain for example, or they commerate a particular event at the site of that event or memorialize the loss of lives at the home town of those people. I think all that needs to be considered. What I mean by context is what is written on the plaque.
It doesn't really matter, it's none of the government's business 'what it means' to the locals. Frankly I'd like to tear down every Floyd monument.

Had the south somehow won none of us would exist to have an opinion. We would be completely different people in a world we can only imagine.
Out of context answer. The sanctuary of a loser.

If they'd have won, would you be for tearing down monuments of the North?
So many seem to forget our own country was founded by traitors. Traitors that win are called Founding Fathers.

Rhetorical yet revealing in your non answer.
How would you feel about anything if you were an entirely different person in a different world? It could go either way. Why do you care? Imagine any answer that pleases you.

They rebelled against taxation and tyranny.
There is always a reason to rebel. Those complaining about the people protesting the government today would have gladly turned in the Founding Fathers and we would be speaking the King's English today, based on their own rhetoric.

Forum List

Back