The Holdovers (2023)

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
On all stream rent platforms, Amazon, Vudu, Row 8 etc.

Excellent human story. And Paul Giamatti being Paul Giamatti in all of his fantastic character acting ability.
This is a good one. Worth the stream rent. Playing a washed up high school teacher who basically abuses his students to help cope with his empty life, blown opportunities all soaked in alcoholism.
Also excellent is a supporting role by Da Vine Randolph, playing a kitchen cook whose son just died in Vietnam.
She has only been in 4 movies, and one is just a voice over. She needs to be in more, great job in this role.

BTW - the trailer makes the movie appear like a comedy-drama... it is more drama than comedy.
Just sayin

I liked Giamatti best as John Adams in the HBO mini series about him, the man does have range.
That was very good television.

He was also very good in the first 2 seasons of "Billionaires" before it went lunatic woke and lost their audience, with Showtime canceling the series after - quote "significant loss in viewership"

I didn’t love. Thought there was no real story and the drama was kind of small and personal. I realize most people like though just didn’t connect with me.

That was very good television.

He was also very good in the first 2 seasons of "Billionaires" before it went lunatic woke and lost their audience, with Showtime canceling the series after - quote "significant loss in viewership"
Billionaires was good the first couple of seasons but like you said, it went woke and lost me.

Billionaires was good the first couple of seasons but like you said, it went woke and lost me.
The first two seasons were setting up the series to be in the upper echelon of TV drama to the likes of Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos.
Then, out of nowhere, they took the focus of the show off of Giamatti and Damian Lewis characters, and tried to build it around a non binary nut, two lesbians and a gay man.

They completely ruined the series, and it fell to abysmal ratings in the process.

The first two seasons were setting up the series to be in the upper echelon of TV drama to the likes of Boardwalk Empire and The Sopranos.
Then, out of nowhere, they took the focus of the show off of Giamatti and Damian Lewis characters, and tried to build it around a non binary nut, two lesbians and a gay man.

They completely ruined the series, and it fell to abysmal ratings in the process.
You are correct. The battle between the billionaire and the District Attorney was good entertainment. I could even put up with that non binary nut as a secondary character but when they changed the focus to all queers that ruined it. Typical Hollywood woke crap. They just couldn't leave it alone.

Cool tidbit of info.... the teen boy who costars with Giamatti was discovered while the producer and director were watching him in a high school drama play at one of the schools they shot the movie in.
Totally by accident, and the kid got to do a major film with friggin Paul Giamatti!!!

On all stream rent platforms, Amazon, Vudu, Row 8 etc.

Excellent human story. And Paul Giamatti being Paul Giamatti in all of his fantastic character acting ability.
This is a good one. Worth the stream rent. Playing a washed up high school teacher who basically abuses his students to help cope with his empty life, blown opportunities all soaked in alcoholism.
Also excellent is a supporting role by Da Vine Randolph, playing a kitchen cook whose son just died in Vietnam.
She has only been in 4 movies, and one is just a voice over. She needs to be in more, great job in this role.

It was outstanding. Watched it, then right after watched Sideways...great night of tv.

You are correct. The battle between the billionaire and the District Attorney was good entertainment. I could even put up with that non binary nut as a secondary character but when they changed the focus to all queers that ruined it. Typical Hollywood woke crap. They just couldn't leave it alone.
I watch the first two season and liked it but I got tired of it. It's in it's 7th season so it must be pretty popular.

Forum List

Back