The Hardest Worker Get's the Best Pay, Right?

The smartest worker gets the better pay than the harder worker everytime. The smarter worker will do things that not just keep the business going (which is all the hard worker will do), but will allow it to prosper and grow more successful. Why shouldn't they be paid more?

Truly good CEOs are the combination of hard AND smart workers. Those that lead their companies the honest way and reap the considerable rewards of that deserve their higher wages.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

So you are stating that smart workers deserve more pay than hard workers?

I'm unraveling a cultural flaw here. Physical labor vs Mental labor.

I'm curious why so many said hard workers don't deserve the better pay but the smart workers did.

PS. this has nothing to do with CEO's.
Do smart workers not work hard?

I'd have to say you're not unraveling any cultural flaw. You're just illustrating one by example.

That cultural flaw is the idea that economics should be based on what people "deserve".

You do understand that "deserve" is a subjective value 100 percent of the time, right? It is a purely opinion based concept. There is no hard, factual standard for what output is "deserved" by what input. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

The value of any person's labor, just like the value of ANYTHING, is controlled by simple supply and demand.

Here's the tricky part: Nobody who simply "works hard" is in high demand. People who get results are in high demand. Whether you care to call it hard workers vs smart workers. . . put whatever labels on it you want. Supply and demand control it, and demand is inevitably for results.

The hardest worker get's the best pay. So work harder and you will get more pay, right?

CEO vs. worker pay: 10 companies with the biggest gaps - Walmart - CSMonitor.com

Well, no actually. How ‘hard’ you work is utterly irrelevant. Ideally, the most VALUABLE worker gets the most pay. The reality is that the most valuable worker who has managed to negotiate the most favorable position from their employer gets the best pay.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

So you think that "Mental" work is different than "Physical" work.

I've met book smart people that have no common sense and work smart people with no book sense.
Where did I say that? You should note that nowhere in my post was physical and mental ever stated at all. What is valuable varies VERY widely with each different position and company.

You reveal the fact that the question is not what you really want to discuss by interjecting words and concepts into my post that were never hinted at or even come remotely close to what I stated.

How about you simply state the point that you are trying to make rather than asking questions you don’t really seems interested in having answered.

The hardest worker get's the best pay. So work harder and you will get more pay, right?

CEO vs. worker pay: 10 companies with the biggest gaps - Walmart - CSMonitor.com

Nope, the most skilled least easily replaced worker get's the most pay.

Carrying bricks is backbreaking work, but basically anyone who can walk erect can do it.

The architect and the builder make the most money, because they have the expertise to get the job done, pull everything together, order the materials and have them delivered as needed, hire the right contractors, get everything done to code, under budget.

It's all boils down to supply and demand.

There are an infinite supply of brick lumpers...and a limited supply of architects, builders, or CEOs

Last edited:
I agree that a worker's salary is, and should be, related to how valuable they are and not just "how hard they work." I especially liked this:

A wise man once told me you get paid in direct proportion to the size of the problems you are able to solve. The larger the problem the more you get paid.

I'll remember that. But it's also worth noting how high executive pay has gone while worker wages have stagnated. The executive-to-worker salary ratio in 1965 was 20.1; last year it was 331. Are executives now, on average, 331 times more valuable than their average worker?

Maybe the executives running corporate America today really are some 16 times better at their jobs than the men who built many of these companies, but I doubt it.

No. For white collar work, it's workers who are more efficient, have better strategy, and ideas. They could be putting half the time as the other workers, but if their little effort does big things for the company, it translates into better pay. For union jobs, I would say that it doesn't pay to work hard since workers have the same salary regardless. Hard work is generally not appreciated nor rewarded for unionized workers.

Forum List

Back