"The Color of His Presidency"

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
Why Race Has Been the Real Story of Obama's Presidency All Along -- New York Magazine

A different, unexpected racial argument has taken shape. Race, always the deepest and most volatile fault line in American history, has now become the primal grievance in our politics, the source of a narrative of persecution each side uses to make sense of the world. Liberals dwell in a world of paranoia of a white racism that has seeped out of American history in the Obama years and lurks everywhere, mostly undetectable. Conservatives dwell in a paranoia of their own, in which racism is used as a cudgel to delegitimize their core beliefs. And the horrible thing is that both of these forms of paranoia are right.

Excellent article, but it's seven pages long so if you're interested, you'll need to set aside some time.

By the outset of Obama’s presidency, they found, the gap in approval of the president between those with strongly liberal views on race and those with strongly conservative views on race was at least twice as large as it had been under any of the previous four administrations. As Tesler delved further into the numbers, he saw that race was bleeding into everything. People’s views on race predicted their views on health-care reform far more closely in 2009 than they did in 1993, when the president trying to reform health care was Bill Clinton. Tesler called what he saw unfurling before him a “hyperracialized era.”

In recent history, racial liberals have sometimes had conservative views on other matters, and racial conservatives have sometimes had liberal views. Consider another measure, called “anti-black affect,” a kind of thermometer that registers coldness toward African-Americans. Prior to 2009, anti-black affect did not predict an individual’s political identification (when factoring out that person’s economic, moral, and foreign-policy conservatism). Since Obama has taken office, the correlation between anti-black affect and Republican partisanship has shot up. Even people’s beliefs about whether the unemployment rate was rising or falling in 2012—which, in previous years, had stood independent of racial baggage—were now closely linked with their racial beliefs.

A typical NYT fluff piece.
I have never cared about Obama's skin color.
It had absolutely no effect on my vote for or against.
It would go without saying that far more people voted for him because he is black, than the small number who voted against him because of it.
At the same time, racism knows no politics. The notion that one party has the monopoly on racism is juvenile and just plain stupid.
What Obama's presidency is about - is whatever he has done or not done. PERIOD.

No, it wasn't. And that is how I know you didn't read the article.

I read parts of it, you don't have to read the entire article to know it is s fluff piece.
People who voted against him would have voted against him regardless.
The same certainly cannot be said the other way now can it?

Reading a little more of this garbage...it falls into the category of "predetermined study'.
In other words - "I want this to be the conclusion because I believe it to be true...now I will look for everything that supports that belief to prove me right".

FACT= 95% of blacks that voted cast their vote for Obama.

The vast majority did it for one reason- because he is black.

If whites did the same would that be racist?

FACT= 95% of blacks that voted cast their vote for Obama.

The vast majority did it for one reason- because he is black.

If whites did the same would that be racist?

We have all heard some on the left accuse his opposition of not liking his policies because he is black...but you never hear them say that his supporters do so because he is black.
There can be no serious argument that his race did far far far far more good for him getting elected than not. It is beyond obvious.
On the other side, his opposition is what it is because of his POLICIES. Not the color of his skin. Except for loons like the author who are looking for an excuse to marginalize the opposition. A hallmark of the left.

I agree with what iamwhatiseem says about "predetermined study".

A passage from that article:

This has been Obama’s M.O.: focus on “the more important things.” He’s had to deal explicitly with race in a few excruciating instances, like the 2009 “beer summit” with the black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, a friend of Obama’s, and James Crowley, the police sergeant responsible for Gates’s controversial arrest. (Obama’s response to the incident was telling: He positioned himself not as an ally of Gates but as a mediator between the two, as equally capable of relating to the white man’s perspective as the black man’s.)

Obama's response was to admit that he didn't know the facts of the event, which should lead someone with Obama's responsibility and understanding of the law to not comment further, but instead Obama felt comfortable declaring that the police officer acted stupidly.

Obama's response was telling indeed, and not what the author claims.

There are other passages in the article which made me go WTF, but this one stands out as the most demonstrably revisionist and biased.

Last edited:
I'm against Obama because his ideas suck Alaskan Moosecock. I don't care that he's black or gay or if his wife is a tranny. His ideas are fucking awful and have given us poverty, deficits, unemployment and our first ever credit downgrade. He's also a pathological liar

Last edited:
I agree with what iamwhatiseems says about "predetermined study".

This has been Obama’s M.O.: focus on “the more important things.” He’s had to deal explicitly with race in a few excruciating instances, like the 2009 “beer summit” with the black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, a friend of Obama’s, and James Crowley, the police sergeant responsible for Gates’s controversial arrest. (Obama’s response to the incident was telling: He positioned himself not as an ally of Gates but as a mediator between the two, as equally capable of relating to the white man’s perspective as the black man’s.)

Obama's response was to admit that he didn't know the facts of the event, which should lead someone with Obama's responsibility and understanding the law to not comment further, but instead Obama felt comfortable declaring that the police officer acted stupidly.

There are other passages in the article which made me go WTF, but this one stands out as the most demonstrably revisionist and biased.

Wow...your damn straight that is telling of the authors intent.
It is a disingenuous piece at best.
The kid must think we all have a memory lapse. Who can forget the President of the United States calling a decorated police officer "stupid" because he dared to arrest someone he knew. That is what it came down to. Obama immediately assumed the jack ass was telling the truth instead of waiting to hear both sides. The complete opposite of understanding.
He did it again with the Trayvon Martin saga. Not as egregious, but still yet.

I agree with what iamwhatiseem says about "predetermined study".

Obama's response was to admit that he didn't know the facts of the event, which should lead someone with Obama's responsibility and understanding of the law to not comment further, but instead Obama felt comfortable declaring that the police officer acted stupidly.

exactly. obama has made race an issue before becoming president. typical white person....

Why Race Has Been the Real Story of Obama's Presidency All Along -- New York Magazine

A different, unexpected racial argument has taken shape. Race, always the deepest and most volatile fault line in American history, has now become the primal grievance in our politics, the source of a narrative of persecution each side uses to make sense of the world. Liberals dwell in a world of paranoia of a white racism that has seeped out of American history in the Obama years and lurks everywhere, mostly undetectable. Conservatives dwell in a paranoia of their own, in which racism is used as a cudgel to delegitimize their core beliefs. And the horrible thing is that both of these forms of paranoia are right.

Excellent article, but it's seven pages long so if you're interested, you'll need to set aside some time.

By the outset of Obama’s presidency, they found, the gap in approval of the president between those with strongly liberal views on race and those with strongly conservative views on race was at least twice as large as it had been under any of the previous four administrations. As Tesler delved further into the numbers, he saw that race was bleeding into everything. People’s views on race predicted their views on health-care reform far more closely in 2009 than they did in 1993, when the president trying to reform health care was Bill Clinton. Tesler called what he saw unfurling before him a “hyperracialized era.”

In recent history, racial liberals have sometimes had conservative views on other matters, and racial conservatives have sometimes had liberal views. Consider another measure, called “anti-black affect,” a kind of thermometer that registers coldness toward African-Americans. Prior to 2009, anti-black affect did not predict an individual’s political identification (when factoring out that person’s economic, moral, and foreign-policy conservatism). Since Obama has taken office, the correlation between anti-black affect and Republican partisanship has shot up. Even people’s beliefs about whether the unemployment rate was rising or falling in 2012—which, in previous years, had stood independent of racial baggage—were now closely linked with their racial beliefs.

What about this article did you find to be "excellent?"

What about this article did you find to be "excellent?"

The confirmation bias part?

I've done it too, but only once.
:lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the article- it is poorly written trash.

Obama is incompetent. His policies do not work. He is a liar.

I don't care that Obama is half black.

Most of the article had nothing to do with Obama. Having read the article, I can't help wondering how you could ignore all the information I found interesting. For example.

Yet here is the point where, for all its breadth and analytic power, the liberal racial analysis collapses onto itself. It may be true that, at the level of electoral campaign messaging, conservatism and white racial resentment are functionally identical. It would follow that any conservative argument is an appeal to white racism. That is, indeed, the all-but-explicit conclusion of the ubiquitous Atwater Rosetta-stone confession: Republican politics is fundamentally racist, and even its use of the most abstract economic appeal is a sinister, coded missive.

Impressive though the historical, sociological, and psychological evidence undergirding this analysis may be, it also happens to be completely insane. Whatever Lee Atwater said, or meant to say, advocating tax cuts is not in any meaningful sense racist.

I read the article- it is poorly written trash.

Obama is incompetent. His policies do not work. He is a liar.

I don't care that Obama is half black.

Most of the article had nothing to do with Obama. Having read the article, I can't help wondering how you could ignore all the information I found interesting. For example.

Yet here is the point where, for all its breadth and analytic power, the liberal racial analysis collapses onto itself. It may be true that, at the level of electoral campaign messaging, conservatism and white racial resentment are functionally identical. It would follow that any conservative argument is an appeal to white racism. That is, indeed, the all-but-explicit conclusion of the ubiquitous Atwater Rosetta-stone confession: Republican politics is fundamentally racist, and even its use of the most abstract economic appeal is a sinister, coded missive.

Impressive though the historical, sociological, and psychological evidence undergirding this analysis may be, it also happens to be completely insane. Whatever Lee Atwater said, or meant to say, advocating tax cuts is not in any meaningful sense racist.

I took a few moments to read it and I gave you my thoughts. I found it extremely verbose, convoluted, and contrived. He could have saved us all a lot of time by just yelling "Kill Whitey" ...... racism is not why Obama is failing- it's because he's a lousy leader.

I think it would be a bit silly to think that the first black president who had tremendous support from the black vote would not make racial issues and important part of his presidency.

Last edited:
It is instances like the following, cited from the OP's article that give me pause when I think about the color of Obama's time in office. "This has been Obama’s M.O.: focus on “the more important things.” He’s had to deal explicitly with race in a few excruciating instances, like the 2009 “beer summit” with the black Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates, a friend of Obama’s, and James Crowley, the police sergeant responsible for Gates’s controversial arrest. (Obama’s response to the incident was telling: He positioned himself not as an ally of Gates but as a mediator between the two, as equally capable of relating to the white man’s perspective as the black man’s.) After the Zimmerman shooting, he observed that if he had had a son, he would look like Trayvon Martin. In almost every instance when his blackness has come to the center of public events, however, he has refused to impute racism to his critics."

Then putting his "color" into the mix. "To make the case for a new initiative designed to help young men of color, President Barack Obama put himself forward as an example Thursday, speaking in personal terms about getting high as a teenager and not always giving his education the attention it deserved. But Mr. Obama cautioned that he grew up in an environment where the consequences for his mistakes “were not as severe” as they are for black youth today.

The president’s remarks came as he announced the launch of “My Brother’s Keeper,” a public-private partnership with commitments from foundations of $200 million over the next five years, in addition to $150 million already invested."

Obama gets personal in effort to help young men of color | PBS NewsHour

I simply have a hard time with this and following a man who clearly puts his color before the color blindness required by the office he holds. Obama is a poor leader indeed for anyone who is not a person of color, he is not an inspiration to me at all. I am truly sorry to say this, however I cannot condone what he has done for race relations in creating another divide in our society, a greater gap in viewing the "one people" of the United States.

Forum List

Back