The hard cold truth of modern style racism

Currently, white men are dramatically overrepresented on state supreme court benches. Though white men make up less than a third of the population, they hold a majority of seats on state supreme courts. Meanwhile, though people of color make up nearly 40 percent of the U.S. population, they hold only 15 percent of state supreme court seats.

Look at the MAP I posted and the processes quoted by the Wiki.. There is NO REASON to believe that a national standard is required in individual states... And the Brennan quotes you just posted dont' show the OVERREPRESENTATIONS of blacks in any state where they are at or EXCEED the 14% of the population..

And it's sneaky and DEVIOUS to craft a sentence about "white men" and leave out "white women" if this was to be racism and not politics...

It's also devious to bring up Asians and Hispanics without specifically INCLUDING their "people of color" numbers in the various states...

You're trying every excuse you can. I will not be looking at that wiki stuff whem my information is from The Brennan Center.

Twenty-four states currently have an all-white supreme court bench. This includes eight states in which people of color are at least a quarter of the state’s general population. And in states that have at least one justice of color, there are substantial gaps between the diversity in a state’s general population and its high court bench: the percentage of people of color on the bench is higher than their representation in the state’s population in only five states.

It appears you chose to miss this one. Racism is a political issue and racism is why the court are in this situation. So is sexism.

You never respond to what I actually write.. I've asked you TWICE how you resolve "unequal racial representation" in states that DON"T HAVE a lot of people of color..

And I've TOLD you it's not RACIST -- but POLITICAL in about 20 other states...

Constitution won't allow a "one size fits all" solution to State Sup Ct representation.. Did the Brennan Center MENTIONED THAT???

Because the states are entirely different, demographically and politically.. And it's largely up to them how they appoint and elect their State Justices....

If you DON'T actually discuss and converse, I don't care.. But it shows you're not PREPARED enough to do it..

So go express your opinion to the people at the Brennan Center. Thinking people do not deny the documented racism in the justice system and the OP is another example of that racism.

How many Blacks should be on the Sup Cts of states that HAVE VIRTUALLY NO black citizens?? It's a state issue.. You cannot dictate RACIAL quotas for everything regardless of the FEASIBILITY of implementing them...

That's a dumb ass question. But whites like you ask these dumb ass questions instead of recognizing what the real problem is. We are not just talking about blacks here. We are talking about a severe underrepresentation of people of color on state supreme courts, including states with significant populations of color. Whites have dictated racial quotas since 1776so you can stop using quotas as a strawman..

As of this very second, 24 states have all white supreme courts. 18 state supreme courts have NEVER had a non white justice. In 2019. Yet in places like this people want to argue about how things are all in the past, or some other silly auto response some whites have when people of color speak truth.

State Supreme Courts Don’t Reflect the Diversity of the Communities They Serve
A new Brennan Center report details vast racial and gender disparities on state supreme courts around the country.
Alicia Bannon, Laila Robbins
July 23, 2019

We spent a year studying the gender and racial makeup of state supreme courts, which are typically the final arbiters on state law. Our new report, State Supreme Court Diversity, paints a bleak picture of the demographic makeup of these powerful courts. It also points to judicial elections as a key inflection point for addressing the racial disparities we found.

Currently, white men are dramatically overrepresented on state supreme court benches. Though white men make up less than a third of the population, they hold a majority of seats on state supreme courts. Meanwhile, though people of color make up nearly 40 percent of the U.S. population, they hold only 15 percent of state supreme court seats.

Twenty-four states currently have an all-white supreme court bench. This includes eight states in which people of color are at least a quarter of the state’s general population. And in states that have at least one justice of color, there are substantial gaps between the diversity in a state’s general population and its high court bench: the percentage of people of color on the bench is higher than their representation in the state’s population in only five states.

Eighteen states have never had a Black justice on their state supreme court. And 13 states have not seated a single justice of color since at least 1960, the earliest year for which we had comprehensive data.

Elections have rarely been a path to the bench for people of color. Since 1960, only 17 justices of color have first reached the bench through an election, comprising 4 percent of initially elected justices. Comparatively, 141 justices of color were initially appointed to the bench since 1960, comprising 12 percent of all initially appointed justices.

Although candidates of color were more likely to have prior judicial experience as challengers to incumbents or as candidates for open seats, they won less often than their white counterparts.

I would take a report from the Brennan Center and put it on the floor of my car's passenger side, as a floormat for dirty, wet shoes, on rainy days. Who said Brennan Center reports are worthless ?

That's a dumb ass question. But whites like you ask these dumb ass questions instead of recognizing what the real problem is. We are not just talking about blacks here. We are talking about a severe underrepresentation of people of color on state supreme courts, including states with significant populations of color. Whites have dictated racial quotas since 1776so you can stop using quotas as a strawman..
Maybe the black applicants weren't qualified for the court positions.

Maybe they weren't smart enough.

Maybe they couldn't achieve the test grades the whites achieved.

Maybe they couldn't get the job on merit.

Look at the MAP I posted and the processes quoted by the Wiki.. There is NO REASON to believe that a national standard is required in individual states... And the Brennan quotes you just posted dont' show the OVERREPRESENTATIONS of blacks in any state where they are at or EXCEED the 14% of the population..

And it's sneaky and DEVIOUS to craft a sentence about "white men" and leave out "white women" if this was to be racism and not politics...

It's also devious to bring up Asians and Hispanics without specifically INCLUDING their "people of color" numbers in the various states...

You're trying every excuse you can. I will not be looking at that wiki stuff whem my information is from The Brennan Center.

It appears you chose to miss this one. Racism is a political issue and racism is why the court are in this situation. So is sexism.

You never respond to what I actually write.. I've asked you TWICE how you resolve "unequal racial representation" in states that DON"T HAVE a lot of people of color..

And I've TOLD you it's not RACIST -- but POLITICAL in about 20 other states...

Constitution won't allow a "one size fits all" solution to State Sup Ct representation.. Did the Brennan Center MENTIONED THAT???

Because the states are entirely different, demographically and politically.. And it's largely up to them how they appoint and elect their State Justices....

If you DON'T actually discuss and converse, I don't care.. But it shows you're not PREPARED enough to do it..

You don't tell me shit. I told you it's racist. Because it is.

Nationwide whites are overrepresented on state supreme courts. This study came to that conclusion considering all factors. So that means states with low populations of people of color along with higher populations and it was shown that while people of color are 40 percent of the national population they are underrepresented in those courts nationwide.

You are full of bunk excuses.

I don't waste time answering questions that don't make sense and are only asked because people want to try discounting the information. If you read the article your question is answered. You are never prepared to discuss this issue. You are always prepared to deny the existence of the problem.

Maybe the black applicants weren't qualified for the court positions.

Maybe they weren't smart enough.

Maybe they couldn't achieve the test grades the whites achieved.

Maybe they couldn't get the job on merit.

Whites have got nothing based on merit.

As of this very second, 24 states have all white supreme courts. 18 state supreme courts have NEVER had a non white justice. In 2019. Yet in places like this people want to argue about how things are all in the past, or some other silly auto response some whites have when people of color speak truth.

A new Brennan Center report details vast racial and gender disparities on state supreme courts around the country.
July 23, 2019

We spent a year studying the gender and racial makeup of state supreme courts, which are typically the final arbiters on state law. Our new report, State Supreme Court Diversity, paints a bleak picture of the demographic makeup of these powerful courts. It also points to judicial elections as a key inflection point for addressing the racial disparities we found.

Eighteen states have never had a Black justice on their state supreme court. And 13 states have not seated a single justice of color since at least 1960, the earliest year for which we had comprehensive data.

Elections have rarely been a path to the bench for people of color. Since 1960, only 17 justices of color have first reached the bench through an election, comprising 4 percent of initially elected justices. Comparatively, 141 justices of color were initially appointed to the bench since 1960, comprising 12 percent of all initially appointed justices.

Although candidates of color were more likely to have prior judicial experience as challengers to incumbents or as candidates for open seats, they won less often than their white counterparts.

I would take a report from the Brennan Center and put it on the floor of my car's passenger side, as a floormat for dirty, wet shoes, on rainy days. Who said Brennan Center reports are worthless ?

You could not read it because it doesn't have pictures and the words have more than 3 letters. .

You don't tell me shit. I told you it's racist. Because it is.

Nationwide whites are overrepresented on state supreme courts. This study came to that conclusion considering all factors. So that means states with low populations of people of color along with higher populations and it was shown that while people of color are 40 percent of the national population they are underrepresented in those courts nationwide.

You are full of bunk excuses.

I don't waste time answering questions that don't make sense and are only asked because people want to try discounting the information. If you read the article your question is answered. You are never prepared to discuss this issue. You are always prepared to deny the existence of the problem.
Do you think numbers of people by race should determine who goes on a state supreme court ? You want to do it by Affirmative Action ? Is that what's up your sleeve ?

July 23, 2019

40% of that community couldn’t be judges because of a felonious background.

Whites have got nothing based on merit.
Yeah ? And what makes you say that ? You got any evidence of that ? Got a source ? Got a link ? Got anything ?

Note to USMB posters: I'm just humoring this clown. I don't take his nonsense seriously, for one second. If anybody is not getting things on merit, it is the Affirmative Action dum dums, who get hired because of the dark color of their skin, while knowing nothing.

Lets stop denying the obvious here. 18 states have never had a person of color on their state supreme court. To think there has not been one person of color that on merit did not qualify EVER is straight up insane.

You do realize blacks are only 13% of the population and there are hardly any black people in some states, no?

....only 13% of the population plus blacks graduate high school at lower levels = less qualified for college which they graduate at lower levels PLUS blacks commit crimes at higher levels = VERY few qualified to be a judge --plain and simple
...in fact they are over represented in many jobs when they are not qualified

.......plus--the black judges would not be fair--all blacks think about is RACE and their decisions on RACE mostly
...the 2012 election/OJ SImpson trial/protests-burning--looting FOR criminals
the blacks are FOR criminals and against law and order
your thread is proof of this

....only 13% of the population plus blacks graduate high school at lower levels = less qualified for college which they graduate at lower levels PLUS blacks commit crimes at higher levels = VERY few qualified to be a judge --plain and simple
...in fact they are over represented in many jobs when they are not qualified

AND, they vastly choose to be dems, which puts them at a severe disadvantage in Red States. A PARTISAN disadvantage.

.......plus--the black judges would not be fair--all blacks think about is RACE and their decisions on RACE mostly
...the 2012 election/OJ SImpson trial/protests-burning--looting FOR criminals
the blacks are FOR criminals and against law and order
your thread is proof of this
I disagree, while I do agree that's all IM2 thinks about, he's pretty much the scum of the earth. Most black people are better than he is.

For a long time girls were also steered away from the STEM fields - math & science stuff is waaay too hard for females. Better they should be housewives, waitresses, secretaries, hairdressers etc<rolling eyes>

Not since the 60s.. My wife went into engineering college in the late 70s.. She says the reason women didn't choose to do that is that the STEM labs and buildings turned women off. All the glamorous parts of Colleges before the space program were in the Liberal Arts colleges.. Not gonna spend 2 hours a day primping up to go to dingy labs and classrooms..

It's true.. I interviewed at colleges for MANY of my Silicon Valley employers in the 80s and 90s... Hired a fair share of the eligible women. But there was still an aura of "auto mechanics" shop about the engineering/science portions of the campuses... Not so anymore -- probably a good reason things changed...

There's a lot of women engineers these days.

Lets stop denying the obvious here. 18 states have never had a person of color on their state supreme court. To think there has not been one person of color that on merit did not qualify EVER is straight up insane.

You do realize blacks are only 13% of the population and there are hardly any black people in some states, no?

In my state of Washington (democrat majority most of the time) Blacks are just 3.65% of the population, which managed to vote in a black man for Governor years ago. In my Metro city area (third largest in state) no blacks in ANY offices at all, hardly ever seen one run for office either. I was unable for find out if a black person ever held a Superior or supreme court office in the state courts.

But I do know that to qualify you MUST have a law degree, and have some court experience and competence, to get into the high courts. Not surprising when so few blacks have law degrees and so few aspire for high courts, which is the dominant factor on why they don't show up.

IM2 is making a mountain out of a molehill.

In my state of Washington (democrat majority most of the time) Blacks are just 3.65% of the population, which managed to vote in a black man for Governor years ago. In my Metro city area (third largest in state) no blacks in ANY offices at all, hardly ever seen one run for office either. I was unable for find out if a black person ever held a Superior or supreme court office in the state courts.

But I do know that to qualify you MUST have a law degree, and have some court experience and competence, to get into the high courts. Not surprising when so few blacks have law degrees and so few aspire for high courts, which is the dominant factor on why they don't show up.

IM2 is making a mountain out of a molehill.

He's seeing racism when there none there. Not exactly a stretch for him.

Yawn!

Forum List

Back