The Greatest Speech Ever Made - Charlie Chaplin

Sgt_Gath

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2014
The Great Dictator (1940)

I don't necessarily agree with all of it. His views are maybe just a tad too "idealistic" to be workable.

However, you have to respect the sheer depth of the conviction behind it, and the feeling with which it is delivered.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, you have to respect the sheer depth of the conviction behind it, and the feeling with which it is delivered.

You do understand that Chaplin was acting in that clip, don't you? That Charlie Chaplin was a famous actor, and not an actual politician?

You do understand that Chaplin was acting in that clip, don't you? That Charlie Chaplin was a famous actor, and not an actual politician?

Ummm... No shit?

Those were, however, his actual views. Frankly, he did a rather impressive job of articulating them.

You don't see that kind of thing very often. That was my point.

Those were, however, his actual views. Frankly, he did a rather impressive job of articulating them.

Prove that these were his actual views, and that he personally wrote all of the lines he delivered.

Prove that these were his actual views, and that he personally wrote all of the lines he delivered.

The Great Dictator

The Great Dictator is a 1940 American satirical political comedy-drama film starring, written, produced, scored, and directed by Charlie Chaplin, following the tradition of many of his other film

The whole thing was basically one giant "take that" against Hitler and Nazi ideology in general.

Charlie Chaplin was a writer and director first, and an actor second.

He wrote and directed as well as starred in nearly all of his movies.

The Great Dictator was one of his best, but I've always put Modern Times at the top - it's one of the best movies ever made.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back