The Greatest "side characters" of TV series.

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
I would think there is no comparison to Don Knotts as Barney Fife.
Not many shows go off the air because a side character left. But that is exactly what happened to the Any Griffith Show.

gQDOn-1588885207-1474-lists-mayberry_bestofbarney_main.jpg

I would think there is no comparison to Don Knotts as Barney Fife.
Not many shows go off the air because a side character left. But that is exactly what happened to the Any Griffith Show.

View attachment 763189

Your post makes me think of Tattoo, from Fantasy Island—the original 1977-1984 series. Audiences love the character, and he certainly helped to make that series what is was. Alas, the actor who played the character, Hervé Villechaize, had a reputation for being very difficult to work with, badly behaved, and generally an asshole. Due to health problems, he only appeared in every other episode during the penultimate season, and by the final season, he had been fired for being an asshole.

I think that the loss of Hervé Villechaize as Tattoo was what doomed the series to failure from that point. It just wasn't the same without him.

During the penultimate season, a new character, Mr. Roarke's goddaughter Julie, played by Wendy Schaal, covered some of Tattoo's function in his frequent absences.

In the last season, Julie was gone, Tattoo was gone, and a new character, Lawrence, played by Christopher Hewitt was brought in as Tattoo's permanent replacement. He was a dull, butler-type character nowhere near suitable as a replacement for Tattoo. I think they would have done better to keep Julie on, instead. She was no Tattoo, but at least she was a much better character than Lawrence.

And no, I simply do not buy the character presented as Tattoo in the 2020 movie based on the series, as any kind of legitimate incarnation of the Tattoo character from the original series.

Not always a show killer when a side character becomes more popular than the main character.

52730429687_eef29f01d4_z.jpg

Forum List

Back