The Greatest Amateur Sports Spectacle in America

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
After 30+ long years, I'm finally going to get to watch it again.

Three days of pure sports awesomeness.

The Minnesota State High School Hockey Tournament is currently the largest state sports tournament in the United States in terms of viewing and attendance, beating both the Texas and Florida's State High School Football Tournament and the Indiana State High School Basketball Tournament.

Minnesota high school boys ice hockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Welcome to the Minnesota State High School League!

Granny likes watchin' dem muscle-bound weight lifters...

... Uncle Ferd's favorites is ladies gymnastics and skating.
:eusa_drool:

Hottest ticket in town...Scored tix for tonight and the finals tomorrow.

Duluth East v. Edina was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation.

The Duluth band and student section was having tooooo much fun, so I moseyed on down for the OT....They friggin won.

Haven't been in the middle of that much crowd noise since game 163.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

One hundred twelve thousand four hundred seventy four. Let me rephrase that: 112,474.

183295_10150102840040885_276759890884_6438401_8277404_n.jpg

That was the total attendance for the four-day boys state hockey tournament. That averages out to 28,118 fans per day and 14,059 fans per session. Those are astonishing numbers for a high school event. (In case you missed the earlier post comparing the hockey tournament with Texas football and Indiana basketball, scroll down and take a look, because it's pretty good stuff.)

<snip>

199709_10150104700470885_276759890884_6455349_6229932_n.jpg

The moment that many TV viewers will remember from the 2A final is the Eagles' Kyle Rau (wearing the C in the photo) diving and stretching with every fiber to reach a loose puck as it hit the crease. He swatted it with his stick and the puck banged off the goalpost, hit the skate of an East player and went in for the winning goal. It was truly a memorable play by one of the state's top players, but my memories will center much more on the postgame scene.

On one side were the winning Eagles, as joyous as any teenagers you will ever see. On the other side, the East Greyhounds were absolutely crushed. Some of them had their heads down, buried in the boards. Most of them sat on the ice, stunned. The scene was a display of the difference made by one goal, by one player diving to tap a chunk of rubber.

Welcome to the Minnesota State High School League!

Forum List

Back