The Golf Address

boedicca

Uppity Water Nymph from the Land of Funk
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2007
Maureen Dowd actually has a clever and on point column. And once again, Obama really is a Uniter...uniting us all in being horrified of his dereliction of duty.

FORE! Score? And seven trillion rounds ago, our forecaddies brought forth on this continent a new playground, conceived by Robert Trent Jones, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal when it comes to spending as much time on the links as possible — even when it seems totally inappropriate, like moments after making a solemn statement condemning the grisly murder of a 40-year-old American journalist beheaded by ISIL.

I know reporters didn’t get a chance to ask questions, but I had to bounce. I had a 1 p.m. tee time at Vineyard Golf Club with Alonzo Mourning and a part-owner of the Boston Celtics. Hillary and I agreed when we partied with Vernon Jordan up here, hanging out with celebrities and rich folks is fun.

Now we are engaged in a great civil divide in Ferguson, which does not even have a golf course, and that’s why I had a “logistical” issue with going there. We are testing whether that community, or any community so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure when the nation’s leader wants nothing more than to sink a birdie putt.

We are met on a great field of that battle, not Augusta, not Pebble Beach, not Bethpage Black, not Burning Tree, but Farm Neck Golf Club in Martha’s Vineyard, which we can’t get enough of — me, Alonzo, Ray Allen and Marvin Nicholson, my trip director and favorite golfing partner who has played 134 rounds and counting with me.

We have to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for my presidency, if I keep swinging from behind....

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/24/opinion/sunday/maureen-dowd-the-golf-address.html

obamastooge.jpg

Just heard Bill Kristol say it on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopolous.

Obama has taken 200 fewer vacation days than George Bush.

The problem with Barack Obama is NOT the number of vacation days he takes.

It's his POLICIES!!!

Just heard Bill Kristol say it on ABC's This Week with George Stephanopolous.

Obama has taken 200 fewer vacation days than George Bush.

The problem with Barack Obama is NOT the number of vacation days he takes.

It's his POLICIES!!!
Means nothing. Obama has over 600 days left in his presidency. To be honest, every day is a mini-vacation for Obama.

BTW, they counted weekends as vacation days for Bush. Not for Obama it appears.

I recall Bush saying he felt guilty playing golf during ( * after he started ) the Iraq war and quit playing ...

there is a difference -

not said by Bush

Obama has been on vacation at his desk for years....

Time off for Bush was quite different than time off for Obama......

Eight months into President George W. Bush's second term, the Washington Post wrote that Bush's frequent trips to his Texas ranch symbolized "a lackadaisical approach to the world's most important day job" and gleefully noted that Bush was intent on setting the record for being on "vacation"--or away from Washington, D.C.--for the most number of days of any president.
But when President Barack Obama vacations in Hawaii, sets up a fantasy golf vacation for himself with Butch Harmon and Tiger Woods, averages more than a vacation a month in 2013 while purporting to be a man of the people and demanding the rich pay their fair share, and playing sequester politics by shutting down White House tours, the mainstream media is silent.

And while Bush spent more time outside of Washington than Obama, it is also worth nothing that nearly all of Bush's vacations were trips back to his Texas ranch or family vacation homes in Maine.

The Post, in 2005, conceded that Bush's vacations--unlike Obama's--were not lavish and he did not "make time for fun."

"Bush rarely takes the type of vacation one would consider exotic -- or, to some, even appealing," the Post wrote. "His notion of relaxation is chopping cedar on his ranch or mountain biking through rough terrain, all in 100-degree-plus temperatures in dusty Texas where crickets are known to roast on the summer pavement. He seems to relish the idea of exposing aides and reporters to the hothouse environment."

Obama, on the other hand, has traveled to Hawaii every winter. The Obama daughters are vacationing at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas this week with a full Secret Service detail, as Breitbart News reported, even as the White House claimed they could not afford to pay Secret Service agents to continue the popular White House tours for other students who are on their spring vacations in Washington, D.C.

The Obamas have gone to Martha's Vineyard multiple times while the country was in recession and Americans were struggling to find jobs. Michelle Obama has taken a whirlwind trip to Spain and a ski trip to Aspen.

Obama took 13 vacations in his first term, which spanned all or part of 83 days. But they have been much more lavish than Bush's. His annual vacations to Hawaii alone have cost taxpayers at least $20 million during his first term. In 2011 alone, Michelle Obama may have cost taxpayers $10 million on vacations herself. Obama's fantasy golf outing this year cost local law enforcement in Florida a reported $78, 205.

Bush was content to work from home during his vacations. And for doing so, the mainstream media tagged him as lazy and disinterested. The Obamas gallivant around, making plenty of "time for fun," and the mainstream media does not call them out for wasting taxpayer dollars or even for the terrible "optics." Media Ignores Lavish Obama Vacations Slammed Bush for Mountain Biking

Bush worked from home...Obama jets around to expensive resort areas.

I don't care how many vacations the President takes, he's always on duty no matter where he is. I DO care that he practically had a ball teed up as he spoke to that reporter's family. It's distasteful to say the least.

I don't care how many vacations the President takes, he's always on duty no matter where he is. I DO care that he practically had a ball teed up as he spoke to that reporter's family. It's distasteful to say the least.

Indeed. When you've lost Maureen Dowd, you know you're in trouble.

In a schaudenfreudy kinda way, it's going to be quite entertaining to watch the MoonBat press that supported Obama get nastier and nastier as their disappointment sets in.

Bush was working when at his ranch compared to Obama wasting more taxpayer money on luxury trips to Maine, Chicago, Africa, Hawaii, etc and doing nothing on those trips too.

Bush was working when at his ranch compared to Obama wasting more taxpayer money on luxury trips to Maine, Chicago, Africa, Hawaii, etc and doing nothing on those trips too.

And I don't recall Bush ever making a solemn announcement regarding someone's death, and then minutes later yucking it up with fist bumps.

I can't imagine ANY president playing golf

Context matters.

I can't imagine any President other than Obama playing golf and showing such callous disregard for the duties of his job.

Context matters.

I can't imagine any President other than Obama playing golf and showing such callous disregard for the duties of his job.

I can't imagine ANY president taking a vacation and actually playing golf

It is unprecedented

I can't imagine you making a relevant and insightful post.

What has happened in the last two weeks that is worse than what has happened to presidents in the last 100 years?

Come on Bo, impress me

Context matters.

I can't imagine ANY president taking a vacation and actually playing golf

It is unprecedented

I can't imagine you making a relevant and insightful post.

What has happened in the last two weeks that is worse than what has happened to presidents in the last 100 years?

Come on Bo, impress me

Sorry hun... I don't want to blind you with my brilliance. I just don't think you're up to the challenge.

But I do suggest you read some actual news and edumacate yourself.

Forum List

Back