The genius of the UN's resolution on Israeli settlements

P F Tinmore, et al,

I'm not at all sure that you understand what a "right" is. In the atmosphere of contemporary foreign politics, a "right" (to this or that) is not always compatible with reality (reality always wins). While it is often framed as a formal promise, guarantee or assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled. Well that is sometimes true and sometimes not.

You will take note that The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) (what Human Rights activist like to call the "first of these projected instruments") never actually became law. However, its sister elements [(International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights)(CCPR) and the (International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights)(CESCR)] did ascend into treaties; enforceable in 1976. And then there is this thing called the International Bill of Human Rights (IBR) which is what you get when you assemble all three (UDHR -- CCPR -- CESCR) together into one document. But let me assure you that if any of these "project instruments" ever comes in conflict with the best interest of a signatory, they can withdraw under Article 41(2) of the CCPR and Article 54 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties.

You blow off any mention of Palestinian rights as irrelevant.
(COMMENT)

Now, I would be remiss if I did not mention the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (DRIP --- A/RES/61/295 of 13 SEP 07). It has not ascended into a Treatise and is, unenforceable, on a stand alone basis. It is a 21st Product. It has some strange, and maybe ambiguous passages in it. One of my most favorite of these is:

"Affirming that indigenous peoples are equal to all other peoples, while recognizing the right of all peoples to be different, to consider themselves different, and to be respected as such,"

Now we generally accept that Human Rights doctrines, policies and practices show not advocating superiority of peoples or individuals on the basis of national origin or racial, religious, ethnic or cultural differences are racist, scientifically false, legally invalid, morally condemnable and socially unjust. The application and interpretation of law pursuant to internationally recognized human rights age, race, color, gender, language, religion or belief, political or other opinion, national, ethnic or social origin, wealth, birth or other status.

But, as articulated in Article 1, DRIP: Indigenous peoples have the right to the full enjoyment, as a collective or as individuals, of all human rights and fundamental freedoms as recognized in the Charter of the United Nations, the UDHR and international human rights law. This is a prefect example of a "right" that has unattainable expectations. (I am willing to say that there are very few nations that have "full employment.") So the Arab Palestinian should understand that, "rights" are not a goal that is always in the category of achievable. Certainly not the Article 1 "Right to Full Employment;" and not the "Right of Return."

I have often had people raise the issues of Article 13(2) DRIP (as is Article 26) and the meaning of "take effective measures to ensure that this right is protected" --- and --- "or by other appropriate means." I don't know how much you can read into a phrase like that. But I'm sure it is not advocating for armed struggle and violence. But since the Resolution is unenforceable, I pay little attention to it. I don't know if it will ever be refined.

Most Respectfully,
R
Are you trying to justify your belief that the Palestinians have no rights?
They can have all the rights they want - on the east side of the Jordan... no future for them, on the west side.

It is bullshit talk like that which will ensure a permanent state of war.

You assume that nations will roll over and play dead.

Kim Jong Un says North Korea close to testing ICBM

They will obtain R-E-S-P-E-C-T by arming themselves and making the world unsafe. You stupid son of a bitch.

Soon Kim Jong Un will be able to deliver a nuclear device to your neck of the woods.

Blah, blah, blah, endless phukking blah...

Thank you for expressing your personal opinion in the matter...

Facts on the ground, in Great Israel, however, indicate a different state of affairs and future...

Nations have ALREADY rolled over and played dead, fool tool...

And they aren't going to do jack-shit about Israel...

Especially when the United States has Israel's back, as it will again, full-force, after January 20, 2017...

Yo dinglebery

The ENTIRE UNSC voted against Israel.

Nations are getting tired or rolling over

28LmideastWeb-master768.jpg

The world community is sick and tired of seeing the Zionists abuse the Palestinians.

The Palestinians will take over Palestine and you bastards will be crushed.

P F Tinmore, et al,

I'm not at all sure that you understand what a "right" is. In the atmosphere of contemporary foreign politics, a "right" (to this or that) is not always compatible with reality (reality always wins). While it is often framed as a formal promise, guarantee or assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled. Well that is sometimes true and sometimes not.

You will take note that The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) (what Human Rights activist like to call the "first of these projected instruments") never actually became law. However, its sister elements [(International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights)(CCPR) and the (International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights)(CESCR)] did ascend into treaties; enforceable in 1976. And then there is this thing called the International Bill of Human Rights (IBR) which is what you get when you assemble all three (UDHR -- CCPR -- CESCR) together into one document. But let me assure you that if any of these "project instruments" ever comes in conflict with the best interest of a signatory, they can withdraw under Article 41(2) of the CCPR and Article 54 of the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties.

(COMMENT)

Now, I would be remiss if I did not mention the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (DRIP --- A/RES/61/295 of 13 SEP 07). It has not ascended into a Treatise and is, unenforceable, on a stand alone basis. It is a 21st Product. It has some strange, and maybe ambiguous passages in it. One of my most favorite of these is:

"Affirming that indigenous peoples are equal to all other peoples, while recognizing the right of all peoples to be different, to consider themselves different, and to be respected as such,"

Now we generally accept that Human Rights doctrines, policies and practices show not advocating superiority of peoples or individuals on the basis of national origin or racial, religious, ethnic or cultural differences are racist, scientifically false, legally invalid, morally condemnable and socially unjust. The application and interpretation of law pursuant to internationally recognized human rights age, race, color, gender, language, religion or belief, political or other opinion, national, ethnic or social origin, wealth, birth or other status.

But, as articulated in Article 1, DRIP: Indigenous peoples have the right to the full enjoyment, as a collective or as individuals, of all human rights and fundamental freedoms as recognized in the Charter of the United Nations, the UDHR and international human rights law. This is a prefect example of a "right" that has unattainable expectations. (I am willing to say that there are very few nations that have "full employment.") So the Arab Palestinian should understand that, "rights" are not a goal that is always in the category of achievable. Certainly not the Article 1 "Right to Full Employment;" and not the "Right of Return."

I have often had people raise the issues of Article 13(2) DRIP (as is Article 26) and the meaning of "take effective measures to ensure that this right is protected" --- and --- "or by other appropriate means." I don't know how much you can read into a phrase like that. But I'm sure it is not advocating for armed struggle and violence. But since the Resolution is unenforceable, I pay little attention to it. I don't know if it will ever be refined.

Most Respectfully,
R
They can have all the rights they want - on the east side of the Jordan... no future for them, on the west side.

They will obtain R-E-S-P-E-C-T by arming themselves and making the world unsafe. You stupid son of a bitch.

Soon Kim Jong Un will be able to deliver a nuclear device to your neck of the woods.

Facts on the ground, in Great Israel, however, indicate a different state of affairs and future...

Especially when the United States has Israel's back, as it will again, full-force, after January 20, 2017...

Yo dinglebery

The world community is sick and tired of seeing the Zionists abuse the Palestinians.

Yeah, and even now, the UK is having second thoughts...

The Brit PM just bitch-slapped John Kerry's little hissy fit over Israel and the settlements...

You can wipe your ass with Resolution 2234... it's only value is as toilet paper.

You'll begin to appreciate that after January 20, 2017...

Your little micro-victory didn't last very long, did it?

And it accomplished exactly zero.

The Brit PM is going down soon enough when she loses both Scotland and Northern Ireland. The Resolution not only codifies International Law with respect to the settlements, the rest of the world, including the U.S.'s closest allies and International Organizations, sporting and otherwise, now will now have a basis for treating Israel as Apartheid South Africa was treated by the international community.

Yo dinglebery

Yeah, and even now, the UK is having second thoughts...

The Brit PM just bitch-slapped John Kerry's little hissy fit over Israel and the settlements...

You can wipe your ass with Resolution 2234... it's only value is as toilet paper.

You'll begin to appreciate that after January 20, 2017...

Your little micro-victory didn't last very long, did it?

And it accomplished exactly zero.

I voted for Mr. Trump because he assured us that AMERICA WOULD BE FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/12/patrick-j-buchanan/israel-first-america-first/
Israel First or America First
By Patrick J. Buchanan

December 31, 2016

Donald Trump has a new best friend.

“President-elect Trump, thank you for your warm friendship and your clear-cut support of Israel,” gushed Bibi Netanyahu, after he berated John Kerry in a fashion that would once have resulted in a rupture of diplomatic relations.

Netanyahu accused Kerry of “colluding” in and “orchestrating” an anti-Israel, stab-in-the-back resolution in the Security Council, then lying about it. He offered to provide evidence of Kerry’s complicity and mendacity to President Trump."

Contumacious, et al,

I don't think that the title "Israel First of America First" even fits the overarching theme of the story by Buchanan.

By Patrick J. Buchanan

December 31, 2016

“President-elect Trump, thank you for your warm friendship and your clear-cut support of Israel,” gushed Bibi Netanyahu, after he berated John Kerry in a fashion that would once have resulted in a rupture of diplomatic relations.

Netanyahu accused Kerry of “colluding” in and “orchestrating” an anti-Israel, stab-in-the-back resolution in the Security Council, then lying about it. He offered to provide evidence of Kerry’s complicity and mendacity to President Trump."
(COMMENT)

First, on the issue of the question in the title: -------> It is a trick question. And for the two-dimensional thinker, the dilemma is not immediately recognized. [When you draw a circle on a piece of paper (Height and Width of X and Y Axis) you may not realize that it is a 2D representation of a 3D object (a ball); it take a little more in the way of imagination. Asking the question "Israel First of America First" is like asking a father: which of your children do you love the most?

While trying to give a real answer to the question of face value
(which you might think is a matter of patriotism) the hidden agenda and purpose of the question is not to derive an answer, but to create ill-will between the two siblings; AND cast doubt on the distribution of love from the father.

Some constructs of the mind are inexhaustible. You can love your wife and children simultaneously; just as is it possible to have more than one very good friends. In the two-dimensional "Flatland."

Most Respectfully,
R

Contumacious, et al,

I don't think that the title "Israel First of America First" even fits the overarching theme of the story by Buchanan.

By Patrick J. Buchanan

December 31, 2016

(COMMENT)

First, on the issue of the question in the title: -------> It is a trick question. And for the two-dimensional thinker, the dilemma is not immediately recognized. [When you draw a circle on a piece of paper (Height and Width of X and Y Axis) you may not realize that it is a 2D representation of a 3D object (a ball); it take a little more in the way of imagination. Asking the question "Israel First of America First" is like asking a father: which of your children do you love the most?

(which you might think is a matter of patriotism) the hidden agenda and purpose of the question is not to derive an answer, but to create ill-will between the two siblings; AND cast doubt on the distribution of love from the father.

Some constructs of the mind are inexhaustible. You can love your wife and children simultaneously; just as is it possible to have more than one very good friends. In the two-dimensional "Flatland."

Most Respectfully,
R

The title is eminently appropriate.

Contumacious, et al,

By Patrick J. Buchanan

December 31, 2016

(COMMENT)

Most Respectfully,
R

The title is eminently appropriate.
This is the year of Israel, and has been since BC...
Happy 2017...:bye1:

P F Tinmore, et al,

This is somewhat correct.

The 1967 lines are not political or territorial borders as per the UN.
(COMMENT)

Until such time as the Arab Palestinians come to a Peace Agreement with Israel, the Palestinians have:

• NO Border,
• NO Sovereignty

I ask again! What is the border for Palestine? And don't give me that the boundary of the territory formerly under Mandate.

Most Respectfully,
R
Palestine has international borders.

The Mandate was an administration not a place. It had no territory.

You are just hawking Israeli propaganda.

LINK showing that the nation of palestine had international borders, as the only one you have produced so far says the MANDATE OF PALESTINE.

Once again you confuse the mandate with the mandatory, two distinct and separate items

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

Until such time as the Arab Palestinians come to a Peace Agreement with Israel, the Palestinians have:

• NO Border,
• NO Sovereignty

I ask again! What is the border for Palestine? And don't give me that the boundary of the territory formerly under Mandate.

Most Respectfully,
R

Or his other one that he got from hamas

from the north to the south
from the river to the sea
that is the arab nation of palestine
That is not just Hamas.

So which river, which sea and how far north and south

P F Tinmore,

OK, You make this claim; but you never defend it.

P F Tinmore, et al,

(COMMENT)

• NO Border,
• NO Sovereignty

Most Respectfully,
R
Palestine has international borders.

The Mandate was an administration not a place. It had no territory.

You are just hawking Israeli propaganda.
(QUESTION)

IF you claim Palestine has International Borders; THEN what are they?

IF you cannot identify the border and the sovereignty, THEN quite making the claim...

Remember, the territory of Palestine during the Mandate Period was an artificial construct made by the Allied Powers --- not made by the Arabs; as is all the adjacent countries except Egypt.

Most Respectfully,
R
The international borders of all of the new states in the region were defined by post war treaties. All of them were under a mandate. I have seen nothing that exempts Palestine.

Apart from there being no post war treaties detailing palestine.

I ask again! What is the border for Palestine?
What is the border for Israel?

Delineating the final geographical area of Palestine designated for the Jewish National Home on September 16, 1922, as described by the Mandatory:

PALESTINE

INTRODUCTORY.

POSITION, ETC.
Palestine lies on the western edge of the continent of Asia between Latitude 30º N. and 33º N., Longitude 34º 30’ E. and 35º 30’ E.

On the North it is bounded by the French Mandated Territories of Syria and Lebanon, on the East by Syria and Trans-Jordan, on the South-west by the Egyptian province of Sinai, on the South-east by the Gulf of Aqaba and on the West by the Mediterranean. The frontier with Syria was laid down by the Anglo-French Convention of the 23rd December, 1920, and its delimitation was ratified in 1923. Briefly stated, the boundaries are as follows: -

North. – From Ras en Naqura on the Mediterranean eastwards to a point west of Qadas, thence in a northerly direction to Metulla, thence east to a point west of Banias.

East. – From Banias in a southerly direction east of Lake Hula to Jisr Banat Ya’pub, thence along a line east of the Jordan and the Lake of Tiberias and on to El Hamme station on the Samakh-Deraa railway line, thence along the centre of the river Yarmuq to its confluence with the Jordan, thence along the centres of the Jordan, the Dead Sea and the Wadi Araba to a point on the Gulf of Aqaba two miles west of the town of Aqaba, thence along the shore of the Gulf of Aqaba to Ras Jaba.

South. – From Ras Jaba in a generally north-westerly direction to the junction of the Neki-Aqaba and Gaza-Aqaba Roads, thence to a point west-north-west of Ain Maghara and thence to a point on the Mediterranean coast north-west of Rafa.

West. – The Mediterranean Sea.

Why are Israelis settling inside Palestinian borders? This is the large point.

west-bank-jewish-settlements-2199x3666.jpg

When did it become palestinian sovereign land, what treaty brought it about ?

International law of 1922 says that it is Jewish sovereign land

Prior to the 1924 Treaty of Lausanne and the earlier Treaty of Sevres, and before that the 1918 Mudros Armistice, and before even that, the Rule of the Ottoman Empire, there was no seat of government or political subdivision called "Palestine; NOT in a thousand years.
There was no Iraq, Transjordan, Syria, or Lebanon either.

What is your point?

Proving that you dont understand reality and cant accept that there was never a nation of palestine behind international borders

The recent UN Security Council Resolution 2334 (23DEC16) is interesting reading. It is all about the coercion of maintaining the Two-State Solution.
Indeed, I see nothing where a two state solution is required or allowed by international law.

Only because you dont want to, as to do so would destroy your POV. The Mandate required a two state solution in 1922 and achieved this by creating trans Jordan and the Jewish national home

P F Tinmore, et al,

The Allied Powers, after the Armistice of Mudros, did not have to wait for anything.

Prior to the 1924 Treaty of Lausanne and the earlier Treaty of Sevres, and before that the 1918 Mudros Armistice, and before even that, the Rule of the Ottoman Empire, there was no seat of government or political subdivision called "Palestine; NOT in a thousand years.
There was no Iraq, Transjordan, Syria, or Lebanon either.

What is your point?
(COMMENT)

While the Allied Powers knew that the Treaty of Sevres was coming, they did not envision the Treaty of Lausanne. All four (Iraq, Transjordan, Syria, or Lebanon) were Mandates and artificial constructs by the Allied Powers; just as Palestine. Palestine was as determined by the Allied Powers. The Arab Palestinians cannot use it as evidence of some claim to the territory. It was not.

Most Respectfully,
R
Are you saying the the people of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, and Palestine have no claim to their territory?

Just as you say that the people of Israel have no claim to their territory, and the palestinian claim ends on the border of Jordan. International law saws so

Both Labor and Likud governments have funded settlers, many religious extremists, and gifted them the best land.

Meanwhile, Palestinians are denied building approval for homes, even a chicken coop. If in Area C they throw up a granny flat it's promptly demolished by army bulldozers.

The genius of the UN's resolution on Israeli settlements

Just as in the US when you try and build without the correct permits, your building gets demolished and you get the bill.
Do I need a permit from Canada to build in Ohio?

Does Canada have a treaty telling them they can issue such permits, because Israel does and not once have the arab muslims complained about this.

CHALK AND CHEESE again
That is one of the thing that makes Oslo an illegal agreement.

According to your unqualified and never ratified treaty that does not apply in this case

Forum List

Back