The fun semester i have before me...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by insein, Sep 7, 2006.

1. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Well Im going to Penn State now and I am taking 4 classes this semester while working. So far my classes were fine. A mindless Music appreciation class. A statistics class. A finance class. Then there was a Biological Science class.

I wasn't sure what to expect. It turns out its an "Environmental Science" class. Ok then. I've had this in high school. Should be easy. Learn about nature. Learn about animals and plants. Study get an easy A. Turns out this is an Environmental Nazi class. The "Doctor" started off with a tirade on Katrina and how it has destroyed our environment and how it has killed many thousands of people (of course the official death toll 1400 as of 8/2/06, when i answered that there were only about 1000 dead, she gave me a look like i was a retarded monkey for mentioning such a low number) and that they are still counting the bodies as we speak. Then she shot off into a tirade about how there are so many Tropical storms lately and that it wasnt like this 20 years ago. It took every ounce of my will not to respond on that first day. Sure i know i have facts that can prove her dumbass wrong but i don't want to piss off the "Doctor" on the very first day of class. This is her turf and she sets the rules. My viewpoint would NOT be accepted and i would mostly likely be on her shit list from there on out.

So she hands out her list of acceptable topics to do for the research paper. Among them are gems such as "Is Nuclear Power good for humanity?", "How many species have gone extinct thanks to human kind?", "Is George Bush good for the environment?" My insides are aching to put this "Doctor" in her place but i know that nothing good will come of it. Most of the students will disagree with my view. The teacher will have it in for me before we ever opened the book and more then likely I'll never see this woman again after this semester.

So I'm biting a hard bullet here. Its only been one day and i have 4 months to go. ITs going to be a long semester. Maybe after i have all A's on the tests and A's in the papers, I'll wager a "Debate" on her ideas. Anything else would simply be asking for an F.

2. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    You have my sympathies. Can you drop it and take something else? It's going to be a very difficult semester biting your tongue every day.

3. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Do a paper on nuclear power.

Be sure to point out how many environmentalists (the founder of Greenpeace, IIRC) have changed their minds to support it. Also point out some widely misunderstood facts about nuclear waste. From what I understand, the "lasts for millions of years" stuff applies only to low-level particles, which are not terribly deadly and can be shielded by something as flimsy as paper. The really deadly crap fizzles out after 80 years or so. There's also the outstanding safety record of nuclear power. Three mile island's safety features functioned as planned, and the new pebble-bed reactors are basically immune to a runaway reaction. There is more radioactive material released from burning coal than from nuclear reactors, to say nothing of the other pollutants. And of course, Japan and France make extensive use of nuclear power. France in particular gets something like 80% of their power from nuclear.

The only black mark against nuclear is Chernobyl. IIRC, it was a foolish and obsolete design even when it was new, as you can imagine. Nevertheless, it functioned safely until safety inspectors literally shut down all the safety features to see how it would react. I'm not making this up. Only government, in particular a communist government, could be this stupid.

I (sort of) know a guy on another forum who is a nuclear engineer and has posted extensively on the subject, maybe you could interview him or something. Let me know if you're interested and I'll try and contact him. He's gotten his point across well enough that even most of the hard lefties on that board now support nuclear power, lol.

4. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    What are you majoring in?

5. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    You know you should probably still be able to transfer out of the class. Just say that it doesn't work with your schedule or something. If I recall, Penn State has so many people that the registar will probably buy it just to get you out of their hair.

6. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Man I must have gotten lucky at Michigan... I never had douchebag profs like that...

I guess that's what you get for going to Penn State :laugh: :dev3:

7. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Same, sounds like a wacko.

Also, if it should help, you should know that the "official" last body in New Orleanns was recovered a month or two ago. We're not finding new bodies everyday anymore. There probably are a few still out there, but it's probably less than 100.

8. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Problem is that i have a limited schedule. I work 9-2pm. So this class fits in. I also have to take a science. This is easier then taking a lab science like chem or Physics.

I'll pick my battles. The other thing that annoys me about her is that shes black. Not because she's black per se but because she speaks with an accent like shes from the hood. She's a god damn college proffesor that has earned a doctorate. At least speak proper English to a class of college students.

Like i said, fun!:cof:

9. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,163
    Being in a graduate program ive come to learn that it means nothing to get a graduate degree. You just need to be willing to do the work. BUt you can still be a complete idiot. Good luck with it. and good luck at Penn state. I hear the parties up there are rough:p:

10. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I’d be BALISTIC! But I’d keep silent, you must choose the hill to die on wisely. The sad part is, you’re paying for an education, not indoctrination by an incompetent boob!