The Fate of the $15 Minimum Wage Hangs on One Woman

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
There is an ongoing push in Congress to make a $15 minimum wage the law of the land nationwide which is of grave importance. Hereā€™s where it stands: Congressional Democrats have included it in their COVID legislation thatā€™s nearly sure to pass the House, and it will be up to the razor-thin Senate majority to try and pass the bill without removing the minimum wage hike.

Thereā€™s one catch: They must convince the Senate parliamentarianā€”essentially the referee who enforces Senate rulesā€”to allow them to include a minimum wage hike in a budget bill.

Democrats plan to use the ā€œreconciliationā€ process to pass the legislation with a sheer majority, rather than the 60 votes typically required. However, this process requires that the content be budgetary in natureā€”i.e. spending, tax cuts, etcā€”not just have an incidental impact on the budget.

The $15 minimum wage would have some impact on federal deficits over a decade, increasing them by about $54 billion, but Republicans correctly argue that this is incidentalā€”not the main point ofā€”the mandated wage hike. Both parties are actively lobbying the parliamentarian to pave the way for their side.

Her name is Elizabeth MacDonough, and sheā€™s a seasoned nonpartisan veteran respected by both sides.

ā€œBoth Democrats and Republicans are expected to meet with the parliamentarian on Wednesday to argue their case,ā€ Politico reports. ā€œHer ruling could follow soon after the arguments.ā€

Will she come down on the right side of this issue or be convinced by Democratic pleas?

Weā€™ll soon find out. Either way, the decision will likely be the most consequential of her entire career. It will have drastic ramifications for the national labor market and businesses and workers across the country.

No pressure.

There a few ideas floating around for an increase of the M-Wage to $10 or $11, and a few democrats have said they won't support any increase as part of the COVID Relief Bill. Which is logical cuz the MW has nothing whatsoever to do with the Coronavirus pandemic. Even if the parliamentarian says the democrats can use the reconciliation process to avoid the filibuster, it doesn't sound like they have 50 votes anyway, at least not for the $15 MW. Can they peel off a couple of Repubs? Never say never.

DEEP STATE!!!! (LOL) Thanks for the link. Imo the ACA and even the gop's pulling of SALT were tax measures, but the MW as a tax measure eludes me.

Even if it passes muster, I hope the dems lack the 51 votes though.

$15 an hour where? Does congress even know what country we live in? ILMAO @ $15 minimum wage, WTF is that supposed to accomplish?

Ah I get it, the more unemployed the better. Congress, specifically PROG congress prefers you sit your ass home while Amazon & the like pull in a greater share. Our govt. throws us a bone every now and again. Love me welfare & lazy people too, they're much easier to manipulate and die sooner.

It works out to just under 29K a year for full time. I'd like to see that ... eventually. But I just don't see how even a small biz franchisee can afford to pay that today, in Miss.

I still don't see what is objectionable in the Romney Cotton proposal.

MINIMUM WAGE LATEST ā€” ā€œRepublican plan would raise minimum wage to $10 but only if businesses are required to ensure worker legality,ā€ USA Today: ā€œBackers of the Romney-Cotton bill, called the Higher Wages for American Workers Act, say a $10 wage phased in through 2025 (and then indexed to inflation after that) would cost no more than 100,000 jobs and would raise wages for approximately 3.5 million Americans.

ā€œAnd by mandating E-Verify within 18 months of the lawā€™s signing, they say the proposal ā€˜would preserve American jobs for legal workers and remove incentives for increased illegal immigration.ā€™ā€ The highlights

There is an ongoing push in Congress to make a $15 minimum wage the law of the land nationwide which is of grave importance. Hereā€™s where it stands: Congressional Democrats have included it in their COVID legislation thatā€™s nearly sure to pass the House, and it will be up to the razor-thin Senate majority to try and pass the bill without removing the minimum wage hike.

Thereā€™s one catch: They must convince the Senate parliamentarianā€”essentially the referee who enforces Senate rulesā€”to allow them to include a minimum wage hike in a budget bill.

Democrats plan to use the ā€œreconciliationā€ process to pass the legislation with a sheer majority, rather than the 60 votes typically required. However, this process requires that the content be budgetary in natureā€”i.e. spending, tax cuts, etcā€”not just have an incidental impact on the budget.

The $15 minimum wage would have some impact on federal deficits over a decade, increasing them by about $54 billion, but Republicans correctly argue that this is incidentalā€”not the main point ofā€”the mandated wage hike. Both parties are actively lobbying the parliamentarian to pave the way for their side.

Her name is Elizabeth MacDonough, and sheā€™s a seasoned nonpartisan veteran respected by both sides.

ā€œBoth Democrats and Republicans are expected to meet with the parliamentarian on Wednesday to argue their case,ā€ Politico reports. ā€œHer ruling could follow soon after the arguments.ā€

Will she come down on the right side of this issue or be convinced by Democratic pleas?

Weā€™ll soon find out. Either way, the decision will likely be the most consequential of her entire career. It will have drastic ramifications for the national labor market and businesses and workers across the country.

No pressure.

There a few ideas floating around for an increase of the M-Wage to $10 or $11, and a few democrats have said they won't support any increase as part of the COVID Relief Bill. Which is logical cuz the MW has nothing whatsoever to do with the Coronavirus pandemic. Even if the parliamentarian says the democrats can use the reconciliation process to avoid the filibuster, it doesn't sound like they have 50 votes anyway, at least not for the $15 MW. Can they peel off a couple of Repubs? Never say never.

If $15.00 an hour is good, then $20.00 is better. If $20.00 an hour is better, than $25.00 an hour is best!

If you are looking for a good investment, the smart money is with companies that create automation products.

It works out to just under 29K a year for full time. I'd like to see that ... eventually. But I just don't see how even a small biz franchisee can afford to pay that today, in Miss.

I still don't see what is objectionable in the Romney Cotton proposal.

MINIMUM WAGE LATEST ā€” ā€œRepublican plan would raise minimum wage to $10 but only if businesses are required to ensure worker legality,ā€ USA Today: ā€œBackers of the Romney-Cotton bill, called the Higher Wages for American Workers Act, say a $10 wage phased in through 2025 (and then indexed to inflation after that) would cost no more than 100,000 jobs and would raise wages for approximately 3.5 million Americans.

ā€œAnd by mandating E-Verify within 18 months of the lawā€™s signing, they say the proposal ā€˜would preserve American jobs for legal workers and remove incentives for increased illegal immigration.ā€™ā€ The highlights

You forgot about tying it into inflation in 2025

$15 an hour where? Does congress even know what country we live in? ILMAO @ $15 minimum wage, WTF is that supposed to accomplish?

Ah I get it, the more unemployed the better. Congress, specifically PROG congress prefers you sit your ass home while Amazon & the like pull in a greater share. Our govt. throws us a bone every now and again. Love me welfare & lazy people too, they're much easier to manipulate and die sooner.

Precisely. This minimum wage increase is another favor from the Democrats to their billionaire corporate masters.

With $15 an hour we could all live in New York City and be rich!!!!!

No pressure.

If $15.00 an hour is good, then $20.00 is better. If $20.00 an hour is better, than $25.00 an hour is best!

If you are looking for a good investment, the smart money is with companies that create automation products.

Corporations like McDonald's are rapidly solving this problem for themselves.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fedrensi%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2Fmcdonalds-1200x783.jpg

The irony of this more than doubling the minimum wage is that it's the people who are making less than 8 dollars an hour now that will lose their jobs

Precisely. This minimum wage increase is another favor from the Democrats to their billionaire corporate masters.

It's ass kissing to their base. People will little money generally vote Democrat. They are young and politically ignorant, but may support Democrats in the upcoming election because of free shit.

It's ass kissing to their base. People will little money generally vote Democrat. They are young and politically ignorant, but may support Democrats in the upcoming election because of free shit.

The young and poor people who generally work these low-wage jobs aren't going to get much of anything out of this deal, except a pink slip and the opportunity to join the Democrats' welfare army.

Romney gave a speech her to a group of 4 figure donors and told the wait staff he was running so they wouldn't have to work 2-3 jobs. LOL

But the country would be a better place if two people (even two women or men in a blended household) raising 2-3 kids could make more than 40K between them, and they can't do that now unless they work more than one job apiece.

imo we could to $10 hr to start and work up.

Itā€™ll help bring Gooberville into the 21st Century with the rest of the civilized world.

Romney gave a speech her to a group of 4 figure donors and told the wait staff he was running so they wouldn't have to work 2-3 jobs. LOL

But the country would be a better place if two people (even two women or men in a blended household) raising 2-3 kids could make more than 40K between them, and they can't do that now unless they work more than one job apiece.

I cannot believe that I am agreeing with you, but I am! $10 seems like a logical baseline to start.

Here is an idea, lower taxes

Forum List

Back