The fallacy of left versus right and partisan hackery

co9EYLL.jpg

I guess I am a liberal then because you have lost me as to what you are talking about

Very common occurrence from the left here...unless it's about killing babies, queer rights, or muslim terrorist support!

what inspires you to call me a liberal? I am actually a registered republican, so you would be better to call me a rino or a moderate or a centrist

I guess I am a liberal then because you have lost me as to what you are talking about

Very common occurrence from the left here...unless it's about killing babies, queer rights, or muslim terrorist support!

what inspires you to call me a liberal? I am actually a registered republican, so you would be better to call me a rino or a moderate or a centrist

Moderates, RINO'S and centrists have NO CORE VALUES, they are willing to let other shove their agendas down their throats instead of fight for what one actually believes in....all in the name of bullshit bipartisanship!

Moderates, RINO'S and centrists have NO CORE VALUES, they are willing to let other shove their agendas down their throats instead of fight for what one actually believes in....all in the name of bullshit bipartisanship!

Not exactly, well unless you are a facist then yes that's true. What it means is that certain liberal principles have inherent virtue and certain conservative principle have inherent virtue.

But let's not be hypothetical, let's be specific. I believe it was the founders of our nation who spoke about life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, forming a more perfect union, providing for the general welfare. The balance we have to strike is in policies that provide the maximum benefit to the highest majority while minimizing harm to the smallest minority.

So general welfare. obviously we could take the 27 million people in poverty and just make them indentured servants to the other 300ish million people here and that would provide maximum benefit to the majority but we don't do that. Instead, out of the 3 trillion in tax revenue we allocate a small precent to giving them free food in the form of food stamps or SNAP. Now i am ok with paying a fraction of my taxes towards food for impoverished people but what I am not ok with is going door to door and taking everyones guns

Not exactly, well unless you are a facist then yes that's true. What it means is that certain liberal principles have inherent virtue and certain conservative principle have inherent virtue.

But let's not be hypothetical, let's be specific. I believe it was the founders of our nation who spoke about life, liberty, pursuit of happiness, forming a more perfect union, providing for the general welfare. The balance we have to strike is in policies that provide the maximum benefit to the highest majority while minimizing harm to the smallest minority.

So general welfare. obviously we could take the 27 million people in poverty and just make them indentured servants to the other 300ish million people here and that would provide maximum benefit to the majority but we don't do that. Instead, out of the 3 trillion in tax revenue we allocate a small precent to giving them free food in the form of food stamps or SNAP. Now i am ok with paying a fraction of my taxes towards food for impoverished people but what I am not ok with is going door to door and taking everyones guns

Who is trying to "take" your guns? Do you support universal background checks?

no one is trying to take my guns and I am grateful they aren't just like no one is trying to abolish the SNAP program and I am grateful for that also

Wayne La Pierre is a complete loon. I know that there isn't a single peice of legislation that has been proposed that would strip all citizens of guns. Thats a right wing scre tactic. Just like the left wing nuts claiming that republicans would abolish the safety net. Actually Maine did something pretty interesting last year and its had a huge impact. maine requires able bodied food stamps applicants to work at least 25 hours a week or volunteer 20 hours a week to draw benefits. In 1 year the number of able bodied people on food stamps went from 12000 to 2500.

no one is trying to take my guns and I am grateful they aren't just like no one is trying to abolish the SNAP program and I am grateful for that also

You don't think Republicans would like to ax SNAP?
as a strategic talking point to fire up the base, yes some extremists have said that but i value actions over words, and I have never seen a republican propose a bill that would gut SNAP

Wayne La Pierre is a complete loon. I know that there isn't a single peice of legislation that has been proposed that would strip all citizens of guns. Thats a right wing scre tactic. Just like the left wing nuts claiming that republicans would abolish the safety net. Actually Maine did something pretty interesting last year and its had a huge impact. maine requires able bodied food stamps applicants to work at least 25 hours a week or volunteer 20 hours a week to draw benefits. In 1 year the number of able bodied people on food stamps went from 12000 to 2500.

You don't think Republicans would like to abolish social safety nets?

Oh yes, there are many republicans who would love to privatize social security. The Koch brother who ran for office in the 80's specifically said he would like to abolish medicare/medicaid.

I was using food stamps and gun laws as specific examples. I don't have the energy to list every single federal program and what each member of each party wants to do with that program.

My point was that both sides have legitimate policy positions on some things and bogus ideas on others.

Oh yes, there are many republicans who would love to privatize social security. The Koch brother who ran for office in the 80's specifically said he would like to abolish medicare/medicaid.

I was using food stamps and gun laws as specific examples. I don't have the energy to list every single federal program and what each member of each party wants to do with that program.

My point was that both sides have legitimate policy positions on some things and bogus ideas on others.

So, you think it doesn't matter either way for the average person?

Unfortunately I have yet to find a candidate for office I 100% agree with. So I have to weigh each issue thats important to me and find which 1 I most align myself. Which is why I have voted for both parties.

I say this with a light heart, I know you are trying to hit me with a gotcha question but I am not going to take the bait :) just like I didn't take the other guys bait

Tell you what, pick an issue where you think there is a fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals and we can give that a go

Unfortunately I have yet to find a candidate for office I 100% agree with. So I have to weigh each issue thats important to me and find which 1 I most align myself. Which is why I have voted for both parties.

I say this with a light heart, I know you are trying to hit me with a gotcha question but I am not going to take the bait :) just like I didn't take the other guys bait

Nope, I'm not trying to bait you. You can analyze the candidates to the hilt - but you have no way of knowing if they'll even honor their pledges/promises. I vote according to their historical records. I used to vote more Republican than Democrat until Reagan. He ended that. The new Republican party is evil.

Nope, I'm not trying to bait you. You can analyze the candidates to the hilt - but you have no way of knowing if they'll even honor their pledges/promises. I vote according to their historical records. I used to vote more Republican than Democrat until Reagan. He ended that. The new Republican party is evil.

Well, if you are going purely by consistent record then Kasick from the GoP and Sanders from the dems are the only 2 clear choices

Tell you what, pick an issue where you think there is a fundamental difference between conservatives and liberals and we can give that a go

I'm talking about fairness and honestly regarding any issue that affects average Americans.

Well, if you are going purely by consistent record then Kasick from the GoP and Sanders from the dems are the only 2 clear choices

That makes sense. Aside from his voter suppression tactics in Ohio - I have nothing against Kasich. Bernie is Bernie.

Forum List

Back