The Evil of Gay Transcends Individual Religion

Top Pope official Mennini called for people of all faiths - including Christians, Jews, and Muslims - to "unite" to defeat gay marriage.

Funny that issues like fighting poverty, hunger, and war weren't important enough to unite on, but when it comes to the gays, well....

Any thoughts?

Archbishop Antonio Mennini, Pope's Representative, Calls For Christians, Jews, Muslims To Unite Against Gay Marriage

...gay sex with children is okay as long as you don't marry them?

Top Pope official Mennini called for people of all faiths - including Christians, Jews, and Muslims - to "unite" to defeat gay marriage.

Funny that issues like fighting poverty, hunger, and war weren't important enough to unite on, but when it comes to the gays, well....

Any thoughts?

Archbishop Antonio Mennini, Pope's Representative, Calls For Christians, Jews, Muslims To Unite Against Gay Marriage

It's not about the 'gay' part, it's about the 'marriage' part. I do wish people would understand that. It is not Christian to 'hate' gays.... but we cannot support gay marriage. Why? Because it's against the teachings of Christ.

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matthew 19 4-6

"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Mark 10 6-9

It's the 'marriage' part that is the problem, not that they are gay.

You wouldn't be judging them (Christians, Muslims, Jews) and expecting them to live by your morals, would you?

Yes, in fact I am most definitely judging them (no need to question it timidly, Newby).

If a top Catholic official calls for the various religions of the world to unite under the pretext of making the lives worse for people they do not know or care about (gays), yes I think it's fair to pass judgment.

Don't you think it's funny that issues like poverty, world hunger, and war aren't important enough for a religion-transcending "call to unite"?

And also, you accusing me of "expecting" people to live by my morals. But I say, if you're against that sort of thing, isn't that exactly what this Italian official is doing?

Last edited:

Any thoughts?

It's not about the 'gay' part, it's about the 'marriage' part. I do wish people would understand that. It is not Christian to 'hate' gays.... but we cannot support gay marriage. Why? Because it's against the teachings of Christ.

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matthew 19 4-6

"But at the beginning of creation God 'made them male and female.' 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.' So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Mark 10 6-9

Good point, noted.

But what gives them the right to enforce their own personal religious views upon the entire populous? Why can't they just practice their own faiths, within their own private churches and leave it at that?

Any thoughts?

the church helps the poor and hungry. out stripping most other sources.

Since the jews and the muslims seem to love killing each other, I'd say he's picking his battles wisely.

after that

It's up to individual states to determine who can and can't marry who.

You wouldn't be judging them (Christians, Muslims, Jews) and expecting them to live by your morals, would you?

Yes, in fact I am judging them.

If a top Catholic official calls for the various religions of the world to unite under the pretext of making the lives worse for people they do not know or care about (gays), yes I think it's fair to pass judgment.

Don't you think it's funny that issues like poverty, world hunger, and war aren't important enough for a "call to unite"?

And also, you accusing me of "expecting" people to live by my morals. But I say, if you're against that sort of thing, isn't that exactly what this Italian officials is doing?

No one is trying to undermine our work on poverty, world hunger or war... just marriage.... hence the Pope's call.

I see that you prefer hysteria to reason though... I find that fascinating.

Any thoughts?

[/I][/B]

Good point, noted.

But what gives them the right to enforce their own personal religious views upon the entire populous? Why can't they just practice their own faiths, within their own private churches and leave it at that?

He's free to say what he wants, when and where he wants to say it.

Just b/c you don't like it....

Any thoughts?

[/I][/B]

Good point, noted.

Because God commands us that we don't hide our faith. We proclaim it. You don't like my views - fine... I'm entitled to them just as you are to yours. You assume that I 'hate' gays because I disagree with gay marriage. Nothing could be further from the truth. You think it's about being gay, it isn't. It's about our belief - based on the Bible - that marriage is between one man and one woman. Without faith, there is no 'marriage' anyway... there is a contract between two individuals... no big deal... meaningless crap. It is the faith that gives it a meaning. It's a contract made before God. See how that works?

[/I][/B]

[/I][/B]

Good point, noted.

Because God commands us that we don't hide our faith. We proclaim it. You don't like my views - fine... I'm entitled to them just as you are to yours. You assume that I 'hate' gays because I disagree with gay marriage. Nothing could be further from the truth. You think it's about being gay, it isn't. It's about our belief - based on the Bible - that marriage is between one man and one woman. Without faith, there is no 'marriage' anyway... there is a contract between two individuals... no big deal... meaningless crap. It is the faith that gives it a meaning. It's a contract made before God. See how that works?

really?

Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” (Matthew 6:5-6).

http://bible.org/seriespage/jesus-prayer-matthew-65-15

now, i have no issues with people abiding by their religion. i do take issue with them trying to use their religion to, inappropriately, control secular laws.

Yes, in fact I am most definitely judging them (no need to question it timidly, Newby).

Don't you think it's funny that issues like poverty, world hunger, and war aren't important enough for a religion-transcending "call to unite"?

And also, you accusing me of "expecting" people to live by my morals. But I say, if you're against that sort of thing, isn't that exactly what this Italian official is doing?

I don't think I was being timid, but whatever makes you happy. ;)

I was pointing out your hypocrisy, that's all. Should it be illegal for them to think that gay marriage is wrong and try to do something about it? Who are you to judge what is more important to focus on? I also already know that most religious folks already work daily to help the poor and the hungry and those that are victims of violence. What do you do? Perhaps you should list your own list of accomplishments in that regard before you judge others?

Good point, noted.

really?

Whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, because they love to pray while standing in synagogues and on street corners so that people can see them. Truly I say to you, they have their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father in secret. And your Father, who sees in secret, will reward you” (Matthew 6:5-6).

Jesus on Prayer Matthew 6:5-15 | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

now, i have no issues with people abiding by their religion. i do take issue with them trying to use their religion to, inappropriately, try to control secular laws.

The problem is that, according to most faiths (including your own, I think) the very concept of marriage comes not from man but from God. This is God's law - not mans.

Oh, and your quote about prayer is irrelevant. We are not talking about praying... we are talking about faith. Big difference - and one that you really should be able to understand.

Last edited:

really?

now, i have no issues with people abiding by their religion. i do take issue with them trying to use their religion to, inappropriately, try to control secular laws.

The problem is that, according to most faiths (including your own, I think) the very concept of marriage comes not from man but from God. This is God's law - not mans.

not at all...

every marriage performed acknowledges that the power to do so emanates from the state.

you know "by the power vested in me by.... "

marriage has always been a creation of government intended to address property rights. originally it was by right of the king.

and if you all are so worried about a few words in leviticus, why don't you eat kosher? that's in leviticus, too.

actually i think encouraging hatred is immoral

and, for the record, i'm a *them*.

No one is 'encouraging hatred', only you seem to think so, but of course that's because it benefits your argument. Nothing like taking something out of context, adding in some junior high drama, and then using that to further your own agenda. Nice work!

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

No one is 'encouraging hatred', only you seem to think so, but of course that's because it benefits your argument. Nothing like taking something out of context, adding in some junior high drama, and then using that to further your own agenda. Nice work!

i think the point is that you should worry about yourself and not pretend that you're more moral than thou

i have no agenda... unlike you. so stop projecting.

i think the point is that you should worry about yourself and not pretend that you're more moral than thou

Excuse me, but perhaps you should direct that at the op, who was most certainly acting 'more moral than thou' with his comments.

Is this another of those modern liberal doctrines that it is imperative that all subscribe to?

1. Most dramatic societal change in my lifetime…

2. Being gay is not under discussion…there are some folks who find that they cannot be attracted to members of the opposite sex. I have no desire to say that they must live a lonely existence.

3. What hubris, arrogance exhibited by those who demand this change in society….when no other religious leaders put forward this idea….Were Moses, Jesus, Mohammad, Thomas Aquinas, stupid, immoral leaders? Not one religious and nonreligious moral thinker in history has advocated changing the definition of marriage to include the same sex/

4. What other moral issue has been so ignored? Not slavery…many spoke out against it throughout the ages. Not religious bars to marriage. Christianity was not opposed to interracial marriage. Nor Judaism, nor Islam, nor Hindus nor Buddhists… But none espoused gay marriage.

really?

not at all...

every marriage performed acknowledges that the power to do so emanates from the state.

you know "by the power vested in me by.... "

marriage has always been a creation of government intended to address property rights. originally it was by right of the king.

and if you all are so worried about a few words in leviticus, why don't you eat kosher? that's in leviticus, too.

That isn't 'marriage'. It might be to you, but it isn't to me. The only one vested with that 'power' is God. The state has nothing to do with it. That's where the whole issue becomes difficult. I don't care what the state does.

In the UK, they have 'civil partnerships' - authorized by the 'state' and the legal equivalent to 'marriage'. I have no issue with that... have whatever... it's just not 'marriage'. Marriage is one man and one woman.

And..... for the record... again... it has nothing to do with 'hating gays'.... much as you might want it to, it doesn't.

Forum List

Back