The Evil Empire!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by manifold, Nov 5, 2009.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,770
    The Yankees WS championship isn't even 24 hours old yet and already the sour grapes mantra they bought the championship can be heard far and wide on the sports talk radio airwaves. Especially in and around the Boston area.

Jesus tapdancing Christ get over it already you fuck'n pussies! :evil:

Just a couple hours ago I hear a debate about whether there is a bigger disparity between the Yankees and the Red Sox than there is between the Red Sox and everyone else. And these knuckleheads are saying yes on the basis of total payroll.

I mean gimme a fuck'n break would ya?

Even if the Yankees had the very best player in the league at every position, that still allows the Red Sox to have the second best player. And considering the subjectivity involved in determining best as well as the number of top tier players in the league, this match-up would almost always be competitive.

So please, quit it with all the sour grapes. Seriously.

Go Patriots!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    What makes the Yankees Payroll so high is not so much the free agent acquisitons they make. The moves they made this off season is rarely seen.

However, it's their ability to retain the players they have on the roster. They have the cash to keep

Jeter
    Posada
    Mariano
    A-rod

They will be able to keep
    Damon
    Joba
    Hughes
    Pettitte

etc..

They ahve the casy to sign Free agents...it's the ability to HOLD ON to the players that makes their payroll sky rocket.

Their payroll is 200 mill...if you subtract Jeter, mariano, and posada...players they have been able to keep their whole careers that is 50 million dollars right there.

Payroll complaining is just whining and makes people look like a baby...they play by the rules

3. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    I've always said it, ANY team could do the same, yet nobody else has yet understood it.

Boston is closest now, they also spend to keep their team first rate each year, and it pays off in attendance, TV and merchandise revenue.

4. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,405
    Our payroll was ~100 mil this year. Not Yankee territory, but certainly not cheap, either.

We sold-out just about every game, and every Phillie fan owns a Majestic Jersey-T of SOMEONE on the team. Not to mention all the other championship paraphenalia.

Our GM learned a lot from Pat Gillick, and I think the the front office seeing the cash come in these last few years has lit a fire under their asses.

The fans pay the players' salaries. But few actually see it that way.

The whole "the team was cheap" crap sometimes doesn't fly.

Look at a Marlins game. They were in the race all year, but there was nary a single fan in the entire outfield sections of the stadium.

There's more important things to do in south Florida than sit and watch a baseball game for 2 hours. Unless of course it's playoff time, then the fair-weathers come out and shell out some cash to "be a part of the history". :rolleyes:

5. Xenophon

Xenophon Gone and forgotten

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,751
    A lot of times fans won't come if they don't REALLY believe their team will contend.

That is the thing with the Marlins, they break them up so often its hard to be a fan of them.

Does anybody think Hanley Ramirez will still be a Marlin 5 years from now when FA becons? Hard to stay loyal to cheapskates.

6. Andrew2382

Andrew2382 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537
    The reason Marlins don't have a fanabse is because South Florida is a transitive town...It is difficult to find someone down here that was born and raised. So they already have loyalties elsewhere. Take for example...me.

However..breaking up the team in 97 didn't help their case.

They are praying with the new stadium coming their way with a roof and air conditioning will help which I think it will

7. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,405
    some teams don't have a real fan base. Florida never did. They could spend like NY and still wouldn't.

They were like 4 games back at one point with plenty of baseball left.

That's supposed to be EXCITING.

Hanley Ramirez is literally just wasting away.

8. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,770
    I think they should shorten the regular season to 140 games and expand the playoffs by another round. Doubling the number of teams that make the playoffs would do a lot in some of the second tier markets.

9. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,405
    So half the MLB makes the playoffs like hockey and basketball?

10. Paulie

Paulie Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,405
    IDK, man. Maybe break the divisions up like the NFL and have 4, with 2 wild cards.

I mean, teams with losing records make the playoffs in basketball. That's always been kind of gay to me.