The Evil Empire!

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
The Yankees WS championship isn't even 24 hours old yet and already the sour grapes mantra they bought the championship can be heard far and wide on the sports talk radio airwaves. Especially in and around the Boston area.

Jesus tapdancing Christ get over it already you fuck'n pussies! :evil:

Just a couple hours ago I hear a debate about whether there is a bigger disparity between the Yankees and the Red Sox than there is between the Red Sox and everyone else. And these knuckleheads are saying yes on the basis of total payroll.

I mean gimme a fuck'n break would ya?

Even if the Yankees had the very best player in the league at every position, that still allows the Red Sox to have the second best player. And considering the subjectivity involved in determining best as well as the number of top tier players in the league, this match-up would almost always be competitive.

So please, quit it with all the sour grapes. Seriously.

Go Patriots!

What makes the Yankees Payroll so high is not so much the free agent acquisitons they make. The moves they made this off season is rarely seen.

However, it's their ability to retain the players they have on the roster. They have the cash to keep

Jeter
Posada
Mariano
A-rod

They will be able to keep
Damon
Joba
Hughes
Pettitte

etc..

They ahve the casy to sign Free agents...it's the ability to HOLD ON to the players that makes their payroll sky rocket.

Their payroll is 200 mill...if you subtract Jeter, mariano, and posada...players they have been able to keep their whole careers that is 50 million dollars right there.

Payroll complaining is just whining and makes people look like a baby...they play by the rules

I've always said it, ANY team could do the same, yet nobody else has yet understood it.

Boston is closest now, they also spend to keep their team first rate each year, and it pays off in attendance, TV and merchandise revenue.

Our payroll was ~100 mil this year. Not Yankee territory, but certainly not cheap, either.

We sold-out just about every game, and every Phillie fan owns a Majestic Jersey-T of SOMEONE on the team. Not to mention all the other championship paraphenalia.

Our GM learned a lot from Pat Gillick, and I think the the front office seeing the cash come in these last few years has lit a fire under their asses.

The fans pay the players' salaries. But few actually see it that way.

The whole "the team was cheap" crap sometimes doesn't fly.

Look at a Marlins game. They were in the race all year, but there was nary a single fan in the entire outfield sections of the stadium.

There's more important things to do in south Florida than sit and watch a baseball game for 2 hours. Unless of course it's playoff time, then the fair-weathers come out and shell out some cash to "be a part of the history". :rolleyes:

Our payroll was ~100 mil this year. Not Yankee territory, but certainly not cheap, either.

We sold-out just about every game, and every Phillie fan owns a Majestic Jersey-T of SOMEONE on the team. Not to mention all the other championship paraphenalia.

Our GM learned a lot from Pat Gillick, and I think the the front office seeing the cash come in these last few years has lit a fire under their asses.

Look at a Marlins game. They were in the race all year, but there was nary a single fan in the entire outfield sections of the stadium.

There's more important things to do in south Florida than sit and watch a baseball game for 2 hours. Unless of course it's playoff time, then the fair-weathers come out and shell out some cash to "be a part of the history". :rolleyes:

A lot of times fans won't come if they don't REALLY believe their team will contend.

That is the thing with the Marlins, they break them up so often its hard to be a fan of them.

Does anybody think Hanley Ramirez will still be a Marlin 5 years from now when FA becons? Hard to stay loyal to cheapskates.

The reason Marlins don't have a fanabse is because South Florida is a transitive town...It is difficult to find someone down here that was born and raised. So they already have loyalties elsewhere. Take for example...me.

However..breaking up the team in 97 didn't help their case.

They are praying with the new stadium coming their way with a roof and air conditioning will help which I think it will

A lot of times fans won't come if they don't REALLY believe their team will contend.

That is the thing with the Marlins, they break them up so often its hard to be a fan of them.

Does anybody think Hanley Ramirez will still be a Marlin 5 years from now when FA becons? Hard to stay loyal to cheapskates.

some teams don't have a real fan base. Florida never did. They could spend like NY and still wouldn't.

They were like 4 games back at one point with plenty of baseball left.

That's supposed to be EXCITING.

Hanley Ramirez is literally just wasting away.

• Banned
I think they should shorten the regular season to 140 games and expand the playoffs by another round. Doubling the number of teams that make the playoffs would do a lot in some of the second tier markets.

I think they should shorten the regular season to 140 games and expand the playoffs by another round. Doubling the number of teams that make the playoffs would do a lot in some of the second tier markets.

So half the MLB makes the playoffs like hockey and basketball?

IDK, man. Maybe break the divisions up like the NFL and have 4, with 2 wild cards.

I mean, teams with losing records make the playoffs in basketball. That's always been kind of gay to me.

some teams don't have a real fan base. Florida never did. They could spend like NY and still wouldn't.

They broke up not ONE but TWO World Series winners there, I wouldn't be loayal either if I lived there.

They broke up not ONE but TWO World Series winners there, I wouldn't be loayal either if I lived there.
I hear you. It's like Wall Street down there. They take the fans cash on one great season and then bounce with it leaving them with nothing :lol:

This new marlins management isn't that bad. They have tried in years past to put a winner on the field.

I remember when they threw big money on Delgado which they could barely afford to put a winner up there and fans still didn't come out.

They also make good trades...They got great value for Beckett and they got great value for Cabrera

Hey Kansas City! Hey Pittsburgh! Hey Cincinnati!

The Yankees with the world's largest payroll just won another World Series!

Too bad baseball isn't like football! At least in the NFL, revenue sharing and salary caps provide parity.

Party on, Kansas City, Pittsburgh & Cincinnati! Baseball is happy you have nice ball parks with plenty of good food to attract a crowd.

Quality baseball? That's not in the cards.

I hear you. It's like Wall Street down there. They take the fans cash on one great season and then bounce with it leaving them with nothing :lol:
They had Josh Beckett, AJ Burnett and Pavano on the same staff and with a title and broke them up, they aern't serious about keeping a team together.

This new marlins management isn't that bad. They have tried in years past to put a winner on the field.

I remember when they threw big money on Delgado which they could barely afford to put a winner up there and fans still didn't come out.

They also make good trades...They got great value for Beckett and they got great value for Cabrera

Not only that, but they play their asses off even though no one comes out to watch.

They get performance out of no-namers. And they have a pretty good rotation, too.

When you think about it, they're perennial contenders but they fall flat in September. They're young and they can chase the Phils.

You're prob right about the transiency and the open stadium, what with the humidity and all. But don't go sit on the fucking beach in the humidity but complain about the stadium, only to come sit in the humidity when they make the playoffs.

That's the part I hate.

Hey Kansas City! Hey Pittsburgh! Hey Cincinnati!

The Yankees with the world's largest payroll just won another World Series!

Too bad baseball isn't like football! At least in the NFL, revenue sharing and salary caps provide parity.

Party on, Kansas City, Pittsburgh & Cincinnati! Baseball is happy you have nice ball parks with plenty of good food to attract a crowd.

Quality baseball? That's not in the cards.

and yet MLB has given just as much variety in world series champions as the NFL has, ranging from the lowest payrolls to the highest.

The NBA has a salary cap and in the past 11 years or so the spurs or lakers have been in or won the championship every year except for 2 I believe

Not only that, but they play their asses off even though no one comes out to watch.

They get performance out of no-namers. And they have a pretty good rotation, too.

When you think about it, they're perennial contenders but they fall flat in September. They're young and they can chase the Phils.

You're prob right about the transiency and the open stadium, what with the humidity and all. But don't go sit on the fucking beach in the humidity but complain about the stadium, only to come sit in the humidity when they make the playoffs.

That's the part I hate.
Do you believe they will keep any player once they hit the magic 6 years and free agency?

Forum List

Back